WOW! I got weak in a year! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WOW! I got weak in a year!

chrisman17
07-31-2005, 20:06
I can't believe how quickly I lost my strength in lifting. Last May I stopped working out after lifting for about 4 years... You know how it goes, I graduated from College, got a real job, got lazy behind the desk, and gained about 15 lbs. I started back up at the gym this month and I couldn't believe how weak I got over the course of a year. I went from a 1 rep max on bench press of 325lbs to completetly struggling with 185lbs. It was a very depressing and humbling moment at the gym. Has anyone else expierenced this? How long did it take you to get back up to speed? I'm finding it hard to get motivated now.

garythenuke
07-31-2005, 20:31
Chrisman,
Welcome to the real world;f . I know exactly what you are going through and how hard it is. You were quite strong not too long ago, and you really have not been off that long. If you give yourself six weeks, I think you will see tremendous gains in that time. I won't have to tell you about recovery, diet, hydration, reps, sets and stuff because you probably already know that.

What I will tell you is not to dive into the deepend until you have your arm floaties off. Take it easy, and don't let your ego take hold. Your brain remembers lifting 325, but your body will think you're talking Latin if you command it to lift like that.

Go slow, build your weights regularly, and avoid injury. You may end up stronger than when you left off a year ago. Good luck and keep us posted.

chrisman17
07-31-2005, 20:42
Originally posted by garythenuke
Chrisman,
Welcome to the real world;f . I know exactly what you are going through and how hard it is. You were quite strong not too long ago, and you really have not been off that long. If you give yourself six weeks, I think you will see tremendous gains in that time. I won't have to tell you about recovery, diet, hydration, reps, sets and stuff because you probably already know that.

What I will tell you is not to dive into the deepend until you have your arm floaties off. Take it easy, and don't let your ego take hold. Your brain remembers lifting 325, but your body will think you're talking Latin if you command it to lift like that.

Go slow, build your weights regularly, and avoid injury. You may end up stronger than when you left off a year ago. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thats very good advice... The ego thing is biggest obstacle for me to overcome. At first I wanted to quit altogether, but some how I made myself continue to grind it out. I have to say, one of the most disheartening expierences I have had in a while was when I did my first warm up set on BP with 135, and I was like whoa this fees very heavy... UGH! I guess I'll just have to start all over again.

NDGlock
08-01-2005, 12:26
Muscle memory is an amazing thing. You'll be back in a couple months, if you do it right:)

jdsumner
08-01-2005, 16:43
Yea, Bro
was down from July 6th last year till Thanksgiving Day (5 mo's) with a damaged back. Even that period of time without lifting depressed me. When I got back into it, I became even more depressed because of the strength and conditioning I'd lost. That led to a few weeks of halfassed workouts. My wife finally told me to either quit and be happy, or go full tilt boogie and feel like myself again.
Soo...kwitcher*****in and lift;f .

You'll be 'back in black' in no time.

Dan

California Jack
08-01-2005, 20:28
I can't add anything outside of encouragement. Train through the frustration, the reward will be worth it.

As far as motivation goes, let me suggest; Since you quote your bench numbers, pick a PL meet 6 to 9 months down the road. Enter it as soon as possible. Honor your commitment. I think you may be surprised how the thought of lifting in front of judges motivates you to train.

You'll get there, keep plugging away.

Good luck,
Jack

BCR
08-03-2005, 22:34
Yep, just stay motivated and keep hammering away.

I've been putting off carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel surgery for a few months now because I don't want to deal with a lay off.