Computer Problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem

LoWRyDa
08-01-2005, 08:58
After being turned on, my moms computer will show the HP logo, but then after that it just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor and just stays there, any idea of what might cause this and how to fix it?

pyblood
08-01-2005, 10:44
That's a nasty problem that can be a lot of things. I have seen it more than one time, but the solution has almost always been different each time. Here are a few suggestions:

Go into the setup (bios). Itís usually done by pressing F1, F2 or delete when you first cut on the PC. You need to see if the bios recognizes the HD as being present. It should be on the first screen of the bios.

Take a look at the HD priority in the bios. It is usually on the boot screen. Make sure that the master is present and listed as the first HD. Also check to see that the HD is actually listed in the boot priority.

Open the case and check the HD IDE cable to see if it has a good connection to both the HD and the motherboard. Also check the power connector to the HD.

Repair install of the OS.

Dead HD

I know that I am a little vague with the suggestions, but I hope they help.

LoWRyDa
08-03-2005, 08:06
Ok so I took the HDD out of my moms computer and tried to use it as a slave in my computer just to see if it even works, and my computer couldn't find the drive, as soon as I went to "my computer" my computer just stayed there trying to load it, couldn't find anything, had to close it through the task bar, and even after that happened, I couldn't load anything on my computer, had to do a manual shut down and then take her HDD out of my computer just to get mine running normal again, so does that mean its just a dead HDD?

HerrGlock
08-03-2005, 08:15
Originally posted by LoWRyDa
does that mean its just a dead HDD?

Yes. Probably corrupted boot sector, possibly hardware failure. Unless there's something on there that is worth dying over, just take a screwdriver to the drive's case, open it, then leave it in a heavy concentrated salt water bucket overnight and throw it away.

If your machine cannot even see the disk, it would be way painful to do forensics on it to retrieve the data. Ask yourself if the data is worth it. If not, do the above and you'll have physically ruined the disk so no one else can get to it either should they want to do so.

DanH

LoWRyDa
08-03-2005, 08:24
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Yes. Probably corrupted boot sector, possibly hardware failure. Unless there's something on there that is worth dying over, just take a screwdriver to the drive's case, open it, then leave it in a heavy concentrated salt water bucket overnight and throw it away.

If your machine cannot even see the disk, it would be way painful to do forensics on it to retrieve the data. Ask yourself if the data is worth it. If not, do the above and you'll have physically ruined the disk so no one else can get to it either should they want to do so.

DanH

I dont think anything is on there to important, its my moms and she just uses the computer for emails, she doesn't use it for work or anything else. I'm sure she has photos on there that she'll miss but nothing to really slave over. I'll probably just tell her to buy a new computer since dell is having really good deals on the basic line which is all she needs, Thanks for all the assistance

HerrGlock
08-03-2005, 08:34
I'm thinking more of social security numbers, bank numbers, family phone numbers, etc.

DanH

LoWRyDa
08-03-2005, 08:58
Originally posted by HerrGlock
I'm thinking more of social security numbers, bank numbers, family phone numbers, etc.

DanH

yea, she doesnt know how to use the computer well enough for that lol she just knows how to read emails and save photos lol.