SD card survives Washer/Dryer cycle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SD card survives Washer/Dryer cycle

Furant
08-03-2005, 07:31
After about a week of looking for my 512MB SanDisk Secure Digital card, my wife phoned me yesterday to let me know that she had found it in the dryer. I didn't hold out much hope that it would work after the water in the washer and the temperature and static electricity in the dryer.

I plugged it in last night and copied all of the files off of the card, opened them and then copied a few large files back to the card and opened them. I was quite amazed that it still seems to work flawlessly.

A few years back I jumped into a pool with a 8MB CompactFlash in my pocket and it never worked again.

I will obviously try to avoid repeating this test, but at least it didn't cost me anything this time around. Any similar stories?

Joey

funbob
08-03-2005, 07:49
I ran an SD card through the wash once. Discovered it before it went into the dryer though. Works fine to this day. I have a USB flash drive on my keys that is so beat up looking that it looks like it can't possibly work anymore yet I use it on a daily basis. I submerged my old cell phone on a number of occasions and it never had a problem once dried out. I'm not so sure if my new cell phone would survive something like that though. Have an old 20GB Creative Nomad MP3 player (the big ones that are about the size of a regular CD player) that has been dropped onto concrete more times than I can count and although it has been replaced by an ipod, still works just fine. Our gadgets are tougher than we give them credit for.

Deanster
08-03-2005, 11:39
My Motorola RAZR V3 has taken a half-dozen drops to concrete from waist and head height, with no ill effects beyond some dings in the casing... I need to be more careful...

SD cards are awfully tough - I've heard of them being nailed to a tree, then files recovered...

Angel Of Death
08-04-2005, 17:45
I washed but not dried my 32meg SD card, worked fine after that. I wish I could say the same for the Palm 130m that it was in at the time! Do'h!

My buddy has a Nextel fettish, every time he get a new one has to destroy it.

His first i730 was dropped in a bucket of gasoline and the second was dropped into a 25 oz Bud Light. Neither survived thier swims.