Protein shakes with or between meals? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Protein shakes with or between meals?

BCR
08-03-2005, 22:27
I've always taken protein shakes between meals.

But soon I'll be trying to add mass again, and plan on taking a light protein shake (20 grams of whey protein) with my meals, instead of between meals.

Is this a bad idea? Any reason the protein won't be digested well with a meal vs between meals? Is it more likely to pass through my system, or is this not a concern.

Mr. Ajax
08-08-2005, 20:07
I wouldnt take it with a meal, I'd take it on an empty stomach to promote full absorbtion. I take mine before breakfast, half glass an hour before work out, a full serving right after work out and another half before bed. seems to work best.

BCR
08-09-2005, 03:52
The only problem is that come October I eat every 2-3 hours and never really have an empty stomach.

I agree with your logic though. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally wasting 20 grams of protein.

feetpiece
08-09-2005, 21:11
+1 for using protein as an MRP. I'm trying to bulk and have the following mix for breakfast and lunch:

23 grams of ON Whey
40 grams of ON Casein
1 Scoop of Carbo Gain
20 oz. of 2% milk

Next week I'll add another 40 grams of casein before bedtime to the routine. I'm also trying out Leptigen mass and so far I think* I'm seeing results. I'm only on 1 serving a day but will go to 2 next week. My vascularity has improved and my pump is awsome. I didn't recognize myself after doing chest on Monday(week 2).

Here's a great article, which influenced me to add casein to my shakes.

Whey Protein "Exposed" (http://www.bulknutrition.com/?articleID=17)

philpot
09-04-2005, 21:23
I drink my ON whey protien right after I work out. The trainer that owns the gym I go to advises against protien drinks with your meal. He said let your body absorb the protien from your meal & drinks seperately. Phil.

45acp4me
09-18-2005, 20:25
Right after a workout and a little while before you go to bed are the most important times to consume protein.

John McClain
10-03-2005, 09:56
In between meals is the best because it keeps your body fueled. As long as you're getting some protien with your meals then you're insuring that you're body has what it needs to build muscle 24/7. Casien protein is best before bed btw. It's slow digesting. The easiest way to get casien is cottage cheese.

feetpiece
10-03-2005, 15:26
Originally posted by John McClain
Casien protein is best before bed btw. It's slow digesting. The easiest way to get casien is cottage cheese.

Whey vs. Casein
Now we’re prepared to discuss protein supplements. Whey and casein are the two major proteins in milk. Whey is frequently touted as the highest quality protein available for the bodybuilder or similarly-focused individual. Yet these claims appear to reflect a vast misinterpretation of the available scientific literature on the matter.

Absorption: Faster is Not Better!
When you eat a serving of whey protein, its digestion in your gut results in a very rapid, but short-lived, surge of amino acids into your bloodstream (Boirie et al., 1997). Casein, by comparison, yields a slower, more sustained release of amino acids (Boirie et al., 1997). Importantly, casein’s slower absorption profile seems to better promote a positive protein balance (Boirie et al., 1997) –an essential requirement for building bigger muscles.

Recall from above that one way of estimating your protein balance is by measuring your body’s balance of a particular amino acid, such as leucine. A positive leucine balance indicates a state (i.e., increased availability of leucine inside your muscle cells) that supports protein anabolism. Conversely, a negative leucine balance indicates conditions favoring protein catabolism.

Ironically, whey protein marketers have been known to cite the Boirie study (Boirie et al., 1997) as evidence with which to support whey’s ‘superiority’ as a muscle-building protein. Contrary to what their ads and articles (‘advertorials’) imply, however, Boirie et al. found that casein –not whey— produced the most positive leucine balance when fed to healthy young humans. In fact, whey actually produced a negative leucine balance.

The negative leucine balance associated with eating whey protein resulted from a greater loss of leucine, through its irreversible ‘burning’, or oxidation. Furthermore, when the subjects in the Boirie et al. study ate whey protein, more urea was formed than when they ate casein. Urea is a waste product of amino acid breakdown. Nitrogen from amino acid breakdown is irreversibly transferred to urea. Since urea cannot be reused, it represents a loss of nitrogen.

To sum it up, at least under the conditions of this study, casein demonstrated superior potential for promoting a positive protein balance as compared to whey – not the other way around. But even so, will this difference translate into faster gains in muscle size for you? Maybe. Maybe not. The answer must be determined by long-term, controlled clinical trials.

Whey’s Frequently Touted ‘Virtue’ Is Actually Its Downfall
Again, whey is often said to be superior to casein because of its ability to deliver amino acids into your bloodstream rapidly. Yet this is not a virtue; rather, it’s a weakness.

When it comes to amino acid absorption, haste makes waste. The rate at which amino acids are broken down, or catabolized, is directly related to the level they achieve in the bloodstream (Reeds et al., 1992). The faster the amino acids provided by the protein you eat exit your gut and enter your bloodstream, and the higher the blood levels they attain, the more they get wasted.

The higher your blood levels of the amino acid leucine, for instance, the greater its rate of catabolism. Eating whey protein drives blood leucine levels very high (Boirie et al., 1997). Not surprisingly, this results in a corresponding loss of leucine through catabolism (Boirie et al., 1997). And as indicated above, whey generates more urea –the waste product of amino acid breakdown— than casein.

Willard
10-03-2005, 15:43
The above-quoted info is correct. The only problem with whey is in the way that people (mis-) use it.

Most of the day, you want "slow" proteins. That is, real meats, and casein.

But, immediately after a workout, you have a "window" of about 45 minutes when your body (specifically the muscles that you just trained) are able to absorb nutrients at a much higher rate than normally. It is during this "window" of increased absorption that you want to use whey (and simple carbs, and creatine).

Whey and casein are both valuable - you just have to understand when to use each of them.

Good Luck with your training!