CPU Temps, whats norm whats not [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CPU Temps, whats norm whats not

08-04-2005, 13:14
I saw some threads on cpu temps and cooling ect

Not being a big gamer i tend to use what i can afford, i dont have the 300+ dollars for a nice Vid card or Clawhammer CPU ect.

1. At what temp range should i be looking to get more cooling for my CPU at peak use say when gaming?

2. what would be the safe / normal temp ranges for a PC when not gaming?

Even using the mid range computer parts i do buy i think my PC may benefit from extra cooling. Do you run software that runs in windows to monitor your CPU temp ? or do you just use the features in the bios for this?

I typlically run P4 3Ghz and use the computer as a work / gamer PC. I was not impressed with AMD 5 or 6 years ago and have stuck with Intel chips. After reading some of the posts in TT i am getting the itch to build a pure gamer using the AMD processor.

Andy

fastvfr
08-04-2005, 16:17
Well, I tend towards perfection in the rigs I build...

I will not accept a CPU idle temp of over 35C in a 26C room with a Pentium 4-class processor. For a machine at 100% load, 50C is the absolute hottest one of my rigs will go before I insist on installing more ventilation.

Either add some case fans (nothing works quite as well as a blowhole!) or install a Zalman CPU cooler if you want to reduce your system's temps and increase its lifespan.

BTW, if you want a real gaming PC, the CPU isn't the most critical compo0nent--the vid card's GPU is. It acts as an auxilliary CPU for many different computations, so AMD or Intel does not matter nearly as much as having a good video card in place does.

I use a 6800GT for gaming and video editing/encoding; its $300 price tag gives a far larger performance boost than most any other $300 upgrade will give, once you are in the 3.xxGHz range with over 1GB of DDR400 installed, that is.

In short, the rule I adhere to is: the cooler the better.

08-04-2005, 16:35
Thx that helps tell me i probably need additional cooling.

Idle temp 35C room temp was 27C i didnt have the AC on. Room temp can get to 32C. i typically dont use my PC then its just too hot for me, let alone the PC.

I did buy that Zalman cooler you had a pic of for my new system. I really like the design and materials used, should knock off a few degrees.

Andy

Lots of good serious PC builders here, i am sure i will be picking some more brains:)

08-04-2005, 20:17
that 6800gt is an agp or PCIe 16?

Andy

jhall
08-04-2005, 23:41
My P4 3.0ghz idles stays at 25 - 26 degrees when idle or surfing the net, etc...

When say, encoding(decoding ?) DVDs it gets around 37 degrees.