fun but less effective arts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fun but less effective arts?

icantpick
08-04-2005, 21:03
my question is if you would take a martial art that was fun even if it was not the best in a street situation. in my area(Michigan) we have a cupple of schools around here one teaches you well but the instructers humilliate you and such. the other is is not so good for actual combat but the instructers are nice and you actuall lookforward to going.

five-0
08-05-2005, 09:22
I've taken Aikido for the shear enjoyment of it, but was never under any illusions as to its limitations/practicality.

It just kind of depends on what you're looking to get out of it.
Best.

el_jewapo
08-06-2005, 22:34
Capoeira looks pretty fun. It's kind of a dance/martial art mix. Looks like a great way to get in shape. Although it doesn't look very practical for street fighting, I'd hate to take one of those kicks to the head. I don't know that much about it. It was created by oppressed people in Brazil who were forbidden to practice Martial Arts. They disguised it as a dance. I would think they intended to use it for self defense.

AtreidesAR15
08-06-2005, 23:42
Five-o's suggestion of Aikido is a great one for a fun discipline to get into. I have never studied it, but my ex-girlfriends whole family was into it, and I would go watch them at practice all the time. Some of the throws are FACINATING! The Sensei make throwing a 6 foot 200Lb guy easy!

El_Jewapo brought up a facinating Matrial art: Capoeira. I like to watch when they "dance" tandem, very fluid and really graceful. Awesome.

For a laid back enviroment it doesn't get more laid back than Taichi. I've sat in on a couple of sessions to fool around and it really IS a workout, even if they are moving so slow and deliberately. It's humbling to have old ladies laugh at you for not being able to catch on to some of the moves! LOL! Or worse yet not being able to keep up with them!;) But seriously, there's no stress and everyone seems like they want to help you out with tips and suggestions.

For the last couple of months I have been studying a form of the "Silat" style of knife fighting. My teacher was a contractor in Indonesia and he took up the discipline during the time he spent there. I don't know if anyone out where you live teaches knife fighting, but it is a fast growing sport (of course the "Knives" are wooden sticks though) and if enough interest is generated you may even see it in the Olympics some day. I don't think it will make it as an exibition sport in the next summer olympics but it might the Olympics after that. The competition style is of course very different than the practical because it's more about scoring quick points than technique.

I would also like to study "Kali" (Filipino Stick Fighting) some day. It looks fun.

Roundeyesamurai
08-08-2005, 09:16
I'll recommend aikido for fun- I'll also recommend it for effectiveness (when you train with the right instructor, that is).

Remember, making generalizations about aikido is like making generalizations about karate- there are too many different styles, different instructors, and different methods to make one statement about all of them.

grenadier
08-09-2005, 14:14
Originally posted by icantpick
my question is if you would take a martial art that was fun even if it was not the best in a street situation. in my area(Michigan)

Which area of Michigan? To what styles are you referring?

we have a cupple of schools around here one teaches you well but the instructers humilliate you and such.

Interesting... In my experiences, it almost seems that the better the instructor becomes, the less they actively seek to humiliate the students. While some of these instructors may still be gruff individuals, or even to the point of being sticklers, they're still not going to try to humiliate the students without good reason.

Roundeyesamaurai also brought up a very important point, that even within a given style, different instructors can teach differently, and it's not improbably to find that a very wide variety exists, in terms of techniques, and proficiency, amongst them.

If you end up looking at other schools, try not to visit a school with pre-conceived notions, based on what you have seen in the past.

icantpick
08-10-2005, 22:15
1.********, michigan

2.well they are not so much better as they have higher standerds

hazmat
08-10-2005, 22:46
I have been studying Hwa Rang Do (Korean) for about 3 years now and I am in the process of looking for a Hai Dong Gum Do Korean sword) style. Anybody know of instructors in Washington state?

Torvalus
08-13-2005, 00:59
My Fav. martial art for fun and sport was Judo. I never found it very useful in any of the school yard fights I got in, but competing was very fun. Oh, it did teach me one thing that has come in handy many times through out my life and that was how to fall properly and how to roll after being pushed(comes in handy when you trip).

Roundeyesamurai
08-13-2005, 11:33
Originally posted by Torvalus
Oh, it did teach me one thing that has come in handy many times through out my life and that was how to fall properly and how to roll after being pushed(comes in handy when you trip).

When asked about the single most everyday-useful skill learned in aikido, I often tell people "breakfalling" (ukemi). Everyone can expect to take a bad fall (probably several) at some point in their life, which can be potentially crippling. I refer to ukemi practice as "cheap accident insurance" for this reason.

On the same note, long-term practice of the martial arts (when taught and trained correctly) is also very beneficial for one's longevity- physical and mental exercise, emotional fortitude, recreation, stress and anger management, these are are benefits directly derived from long-term martial arts instruction. Living a longer, healthier, more enjoyable and more productive life is certainly "practical" in my book.

Sanchin
08-15-2005, 23:18
I don't think there are any 'less effective' arts. Only less effective ways of training.