What have I done? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

pops572
08-04-2005, 21:29
Jumped up from the table where my laptop was plugged in and got caught up in the cord and laptop went crashing to the floor. When I picked it up it had several black and white lines running vertically. Turned it off and then when I powered back up, NOTHING, just black screen. No Dell logo, nothing. How bad is it?

CranialCrusader
08-04-2005, 21:34
Most likely you killed your hard drive. Try to boot it up and listen closely and see if it sounds "normal". If not, hop on over to newegg.com and buy a new hard drive.

I just picked up a 5400 RPM 40 gig notebook drive with 16 MB cache for $72 (Toshiba brand) and it is great. Great way to boost performance.

CranialCrusader

pops572
08-04-2005, 21:43
Not sure if it sounds normal or not, I can hear the fan going, but that is about all. Guess I have to make a trip in the morning to the Puter Doc. Thanks David

MrsKitty
08-05-2005, 08:50
Yikes!!!

I dropped my Toshiba down a flight of steps once. Landed on concrete floor. I knew it was dead so I didn't bother booting it up. A geek friend finally come got it and did. NO problems at all ;P ;P other than the scratched cases :)

GTIMANiac
08-05-2005, 09:14
If you get NO logo, my bet is it is the florsecent tube that backlights the LCD. Hook it up to an external monitor and toggle the display to there and then boot it.

pops572
08-05-2005, 09:37
GTI,
That's it!! Now what's it going to cost me? Is it something I can do my self?Thanks David

GTIMANiac
08-05-2005, 10:38
You could do it yourself. The thing would be determinging if it was just the backlight or the actual LCD. That could be an adventure there, if you bought a new backlight and balast and that turns out to not be the problem you have wasted 75 bucks give or take.

First thing I would do is search Ebay for an entire lid. Which would include the plastic casing, the lcd panel assembly including the backlight and the balast. They are usually pretty reasonable.

As far as the actual change. As long as you are mechnanicaly inclined, and have the proper tools, small set of screwdrivers and torx drivers it should be fairly straight forward. I have done the changes several times.