proper acquisition?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : proper acquisition??

theTactician
08-05-2005, 02:16
I would just like to ask you guys how fast can you draw with your glock on the holster, condition one, at around 10 and hit the alpha target? Is there a technique to this?
What i do whenever i practice is to use as much dry fire prior to actually using live ammo. using the isosceles stance, condition one, as soon as the buzzer sounds, i pull my glock out with my right hand and as soon as the gun is at chest level, slightly leaning forward, i receive it with my left and as my arms slightly extend, i align the sights making sure that im aiming directly at the alpha. simultaneously,as i do that, my trigger finger has already taken the slack and then i discharge just as soon as i get both arms slightly extended but with elbows slightly bent. it takes me, i think...just 1-1.5seconds to do this. then i put it back in the holster.
I just wanna ask if this is the proper way to acquire and hit the target in less than a second?. Cause i think, correct me if im wrong, the first shot always matters.
can you glock experts please give me your insights and some of your techniques in properly acquiring the alpha target and hit the bullseye in just a second. thanks.

mc_oliver
08-05-2005, 03:29
You think 1-1.5sec? What does the timer say?

At that speed ok na ok yan as long as it's a consistent A-hit. Of course it's always best to work on it always and speed it up esp kung nakatayo ka lang.

The next goal should be with concealment and different start positions and combined with movements. There are lots of ways to draw the gun from a lot of possible positions. This is where matches come in. In a match, it will be obvious which starts you'll need working on. ;)

Also, try not to get obsessed with one-shot draws. Mabilis talaga yan when you know you only need to fire one shot. Vary the no of shots, from 1-6 or even up to a mag full. When you do this I'm willing to bet you'll have slower draw to first shot times, initially.

Good luck.

jasonub
08-05-2005, 05:34
i always had a very fast first shot. at a classic target at 10 meters i could consistently hit .8-.9 of a second on the first shot.

in matches ill slow down to about 1-1.2 seconds.

but the bottom line in matches is the total time.

we have a drill in my club that goes like so.

3 classic tartets set about 2 meters apart and shoulder height.

the targets are put at 25 meters.

condition 1 draw and hit the targets with 2 shots each. the objective is not to hit a D with a time of less than 4 seconds.

the best standard shooter here hits it at about 3.6-3.8 seconds with a draw of 1.5 seconds.

at first i always get 4.2 to 4.3 seconds. with a draw of 1.2 average.

after 2 sessions i can get 3.26 or so with about 1.12-1.2 seconds draw.

the draw did not improve much but the transitions and splits became shorter.

btw. my record was 3 flat with 6 points down in speed. and 3.28 with no points down for score.

good luck.

btw my pistol is not a glock but a 1911 svi

Eye Cutter
08-05-2005, 07:03
sub 1 sec draw + .18 splits, 1.2 - 1.4 sec is very fast.

the pistol's front and rear sights should be aligned with your eyes and the target everytime you bring it up.

practice doing your draw with your eyes closed while presenting the pistol to the target and see if it is still aligned.

Alexii
08-05-2005, 07:59
I'd first practice gripping the holstered pistol, making sure the strong elbow is pointed straight to the rear as opposed to letting the elbow stray outside. The hand should then come down solidly and seat itself onto the tang of the grip as high as the grip design will allow. Not until this is achieved first will you have a smooth, (and eventually) fast draw.

"Smooth is the absence of excess and unnecessary movements. Being fast is the by-product of smoothness". That's in quotation because someone else said it. Not sure who though.

Allegra
08-05-2005, 09:08
I shoot from the hip
It's fast kaso nakakapuwing yung blast

vega
08-05-2005, 10:38
Originally posted by theTactician
it takes me, i think...just 1-1.5seconds to do this. then i put it back in the holster.
I just wanna ask if this is the proper way to acquire and hit the target in less than a second?. Cause i think, correct me if im wrong, the first shot always matters.

Rob Leatham did it in 0.84 sec. I did it once 1.0 sec but never did it again. It will be good if you have a timer, then you can gradually adjust the split. BTW, never parctice in front of a mirror.

vega

Allegra
08-05-2005, 10:54
Originally posted by vega
Rob Leatham did it in 0.84 sec. I did it once 1.0 sec but never did it again. It will be good if you have a timer, then you can gradually adjust the split. BTW, never parctice in front of a mirror.

vega

Dun sa Lenny Magill videos, Leatham did it .65 yata
But why shoudnt you practice in front of the mirror?

revo
08-05-2005, 10:54
Originally posted by Allegra
I shoot from the hip
It's fast kaso nakakapuwing yung blast

(Voice of Fernando Poe)

'Judge, lumalabis ka na..kailangan ka nang kalusin !!'

;f

Allegra,

Does your hair also remain slick after a fistfight ?

;f ;f

Allegra
08-05-2005, 10:57
Allegra,

Does your hair also remain slick after a fistfight ?

;f ;f [/B][/QUOTE]

Parang dinilaan ng baka :cool:

revo
08-05-2005, 11:04
Originally posted by theTactician
I would just like to ask you guys how fast can you draw with your glock on the holster, condition one, at around 10 and hit the alpha target? Is there a technique to this?

Mang Tactician,

Is that at 10 feet or at 10 meters ?

vega
08-05-2005, 15:46
Dun sa Lenny Magill videos, Leatham did it .65 yata
But why shoudnt you practice in front of the mirror?
Yeah, I think that's it .65 sec. I had the same tape back there.
If you practice in front of a mirror, masisira ang concentration mo dahil panay ang puri mo sa sarili mo,"My God, don't you ever die, what a handsome guy!";)

Watch the video again, doon ko yata narinig yung sa mirror.

vega

mc_oliver
08-05-2005, 19:40
Parang dinilaan ng baka :cool:
Bahahahah!!!;z

Seriously now, if you're having problems in your presentation try to do the reverse process. Start from full presentation and work back towards the re-holster, slowly and smoothly. Pay particular attention to the tension you feel.

Also, pick-up your sights during the presentation process. You'll have a faster first shot if you've tracked your sights this way.

The last time I did a draw and two-shot drill, hawak-hawak ni Singlestacker yung timer niya. I think the best I can do that time was a .85 draw-to-first-shot with a .14 split. Pero duda ako dun sa timer niya kasi mura lang niya nabili eh. Benta mo na yan sa akin SS! ;f;f;f

Eye Cutter
08-05-2005, 23:30
hahaha! baka holter din yung timer ni SS!

Allegra
08-05-2005, 23:57
Originally posted by vega
Yeah, I think that's it .65 sec. I had the same tape back there.
If you practice in front of a mirror, masisira ang concentration mo dahil panay ang puri mo sa sarili mo,"My God, don't you ever die, what a handsome guy!";)

Watch the video again, doon ko yata narinig yung sa mirror.

vega

Ay oo nga pala , buti pina-alala mo
I get distracted by that devastatingly handsome felow sa harap ko
Nasisira and muscle memory kasi kelangan i-spin pa yung baril sa daliri pabalik sa holster