Anybody who can help me? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody who can help me?

ego1911
08-05-2005, 08:35
I'm new here, inexperience and does'nt know anything about gun but I would like to know the advantage of having a bull barrel. Which is best, standard or bull barrel? For those experience shooters which do you prefer? I hope you'l be patient with me.

Thanks in advance!

ego1911

batangueno
08-05-2005, 09:15
The advantage of a bull barrel is to make the pistol nose heavy thus reducing muzzle flip. This will result to faster follow-up shots. The disadvantage is slower transition from target to target due to the heavier gun.

Welcome to the BOGs. :)

Allegra
08-05-2005, 09:35
If I may add, if you are a new shooter, bull barrels wont help any
Learn the basics muna, then find out if you need it

Mang Danny
08-05-2005, 10:42
Bull barrel vs. standard? 1911?
Begin with proper sight alignment and good trigger control. Accessories and add-ons can come later.

vega
08-05-2005, 16:04
Which ever you choose just practice with it, welcome to BOGS.

vega

isuzu
08-05-2005, 19:41
Tried bull barrel against my brother's advise. My brother was right! Didn't like them.;F

mc_oliver
08-05-2005, 19:48
Originally posted by ego1911
I'm new here, inexperience and does'nt know anything about gun but I would like to know the advantage of having a bull barrel. Which is best, standard or bull barrel? For those experience shooters which do you prefer? I hope you'l be patient with me.

Thanks in advance!

ego1911
No advantage except for the person getting paid to do the conversion. ;)

bulm540
08-05-2005, 22:49
It is a personal preference thing, I like a heavy gun so the bull barrel works for me. I don't worry about transitions since being a lowly class A limited shooter.

MELBU
08-05-2005, 23:04
I agree with allegra, if you are a new shooter, bull barrels or standard barrels have no difference, unless you want to change the look of the front side your gun.

mikol
08-05-2005, 23:07
;F hi bro! glad you finally able to visit our forum. you can ask almost anything to all our brothers here in bog's with regards to guns, girls, friends and even neighbors!;) ;) ;e

ego1911
08-06-2005, 01:01
Guys, thanks for all the info, now I know what to do. I really appreciate it! Mikol is right! you guys are helpful. Thanks again!:) :)

bulm540
08-06-2005, 18:40
Try both and decide, what may work for you may not work for others. My Bul had a bushing barrel and it has a little bit more flip that the long dust cover with a bull barreled I have right now. Believe me bull barrels are just not "gadgets". I can tract my sights better with a heavy gun.

ego1911
08-07-2005, 07:32
Okay, I'll take your advice, my brother in law is inviting me in camp crame this coming saturday and I'll try both. I just bought SAM falcon few days ago the reason why I'm asking because if bull barrel is right for me then i'l have the standard be replaced. I just hope that I will not regret my decision of puchasing SAM falcon. Any comment/s on the performance and quality of SAM falcon? Anybody?

ego

jasonub
08-07-2005, 07:42
i think none of us have a SAM, I hear they have forged frames and slides.

also i hear their internal parts are soft.

You will be the first of us to test it. Dont sweat it if something breaks. just replace the part with a known brand. thats why i like the 1911 so much.

mikol
08-07-2005, 07:58
Originally posted by jasonub
i think none of us have a SAM, I hear they have forged frames and slides.

also i hear their internal parts are soft.

You will be the first of us to test it. Dont sweat it if something breaks. just replace the part with a known brand. thats why i like the 1911 so much.
got a single stack SAM Commander also.;f
yup GM Jason is right about replacing small parts of SAM with a much more durable and trusted brand. you better listen to this guy ego, 'coz he is one of the best shooter in this forum and just waiting to bet his #1 nemesis. ;f ;) ;)

ego1911
08-07-2005, 08:28
Technically what do you mean by forged? does this mean good or bad? Now I'm starting to sweat! (laughs...) If I replace all the internal parts with a good brand, roughly, do you have any idea how much all in all will I spend? :(

ego1911
08-07-2005, 08:36
bro can I order bogs t-shirt? I like the design but I just dont know if I'm qualified to purchase one.

ego

mikol
08-07-2005, 09:29
Technically what do you mean by forged? does this mean good or bad? Now I'm starting to sweat! (laughs...) If I replace all the internal parts with a good brand, roughly, do you have any idea how much all in all will I spend? :(

well, di naman kailangan na isang buhos ang pag-palit kapatid. just leave the stock part as of now and try to spend your money on ammo first and bring that boomer to the range. ngayon kung ano yung unang masisira then yun ang palitan mo.;f

ang kalimitan nasisira kaagad sa SAM small parts ay yung extractor, friring pin & FP stop. hayan mo nalang muna yung ibang parts. hangat di bumibigay iputok mo nalang muna ng iputok.

what is important for now is that, you have the 1911 format pistol. as what the bog's brothers say's, you can do what ever you want to that pistol. parts are abundant in the market bro so don't you worry to much. just enjoy you pistol for now.

About metallurgy(cast vs forged) better search the net para talagang maintindihan mo ng lubos.

About the BoG's shirt, just place your order. i think it's open to all members of BoG's.;f

ego1911
08-07-2005, 10:25
Okay bro salamat, will do that.

royal glockster
08-08-2005, 08:51
Okay, I'll take your advice, my brother in law is inviting me in camp crame this coming saturday and I'll try both. I just bought SAM falcon few days ago the reason why I'm asking because if bull barrel is right for me then i'l have the standard be replaced. I just hope that I will not regret my decision of puchasing SAM falcon. Any comment/s on the performance and quality of SAM falcon? Anybody?

ego

Had a SAM Falcon before, ordered it from Shooters Cubao in 2003 factory semi-customized. Top-bridge slide, fiber optic front sight, hard chromed polished slide with colt prancing horse logo on it. Naka-trigger job na rin, actually my first hi-cap .45acp. First used it in our club shoot and first to give in after about 400 rounds is the sear, talagang malambot. I replaced it with armscor sear (kuripot ako!,hehe). After that, ok na ang performance. I used it in my first IPSC sanctioned match, the dog city all steel challenge at armscor marikina. mILAGRO! hindi nagloko ang baril ko at hindi rin ako na DQ. By and large, maganda ang performance ng SAM Falcon, underrated nga lang dahil budget gun. I suppose it's the cheapest hi-cap in .45acp. I sold it to my friend who have lots of 1911s single stack. I suppose he will use it for competition purposes, lugi daw sya sa single stack during competitions. Now, pumunta naman ako sa extreme, i have .40 s&w STI pistol which costs me a lot of money and 7 months to build. I'm planning to acquire again a SAM pistol, this time the ALPHA model in .40 format, pambugbug ko sa club shoot. Nanghihinayang kasi akong bugbugin ang STI ko, ang kinis-kinis kasi gusto ko lang syang hawak hawakan hehe. Bugbugin mo lang ng husto ang Falcon, then palitan mo ang parts na bumigay preferably with the premium ones. My two cents bossing. HAPPY SHOOTING! :cool:

Eye Cutter
08-08-2005, 17:34
do the SAM pistols in .40 have a ramped barrel or not?

usually, the first parts that need to be replaced are the ff: hammer, sear, and disconnector. its also a good idea to replace the slide stop and all the pins that hold the parts together.

mikol
08-08-2005, 23:04
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
do the SAM pistols in .40 have a ramped barrel or not?

usually, the first parts that need to be replaced are the ff: hammer, sear, and disconnector. its also a good idea to replace the slide stop and all the pins that hold the parts together.
doc alvin, SAM .40 just uses a standard non-ramp support barrel. there's no big deal about it, a gunsmith can easily altered the ramp of the frame to be able to use a more high-end ramp supported barrels.
i think altering the ramp of the frame cost cheaper than putting a long longdust cover to a standard frame. and besides, SAM's slides are "forged" and frame's are already have long dust cover, so it might be worth considering to be used as a project gun. ;f and you can also use a para-ord mags to SAM's frames.(1840 mags perhaps:cool: ;f )

Mang Danny
08-08-2005, 23:35
Info from SAM's website: http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/

Established in 1992, SHOOTERS ARMS MANUFACTURING (S.A.M.) INC. is engaged in the manufacture and sales of world class firearms.

S.A.M. uses 4140 billets for its slide and barrel. While its frame and other parts are made from 4140 casting.

Its international sales operation is managed by Rhone Malcolm M. De Leon. The production department is handled by Richard C. Yuson. While the assembly line department is supervised by Jesus Rey C. Yuson.

S.A.M envisions itself to be in the frontline of firearms manufacturing industry in Asia.

mikol
08-08-2005, 23:51
Originally posted by Mang Danny
Info from SAM's website: http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/

thanks for the heads-up mang danny.
actually, I meet already Rhone in their factory at Cebu during my holidays last February. He is a young intelligent person(besides being the new president of SAM)he knows what his stuff and you can easily talked to him about anything with regards to his firearms.

he is a very down to earth person at pag-nakita mo nga sya, you won't be thinking na he is the pres. of the said Company. ;f
got a tour in their factory and it's cool seeing those machines and people doing finishing touches of all SAM parts. under rated nga lang talaga products nila, but it seems ok naman young product. not bad for a low cost 1911 format pistol.(i do sound like promoting SAM ;g) ;f ;) ;)

ego1911
08-10-2005, 08:21
Oo nga bro if I were you I have to charge SAM for promoting their pistols.. (laughs....) joke.. :) Ingat mga Arabo sayo dyan.

Thanks bro sa mga info.

ego1911

ego1911
08-10-2005, 08:33
Royal glockster, eye cutter, mang danny at sa inyong lahat maraming salamat sa lahat ng information na binigay niyo. It helps me a lot!:) For a newbie like me malaki na itulong niyo. Hope to see you soon.

ego1911

mikol
08-10-2005, 08:36
Oo nga bro if I were you I have to charge SAM for promoting their pistols.. (laughs....) joke.. :) Ingat mga Arabo sayo dyan.

Thanks bro sa mga info.

ego1911
talagang dapat silang matakot sakin.:( subukan lang nila't... iwan ko kung makakahabol pa sila pag-akoy tumakbo na.^3 ;f