Another Inquiry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Inquiry

Arpee
08-05-2005, 12:40
Hello,

just new around here. I have been reading topics in this forum and found a lot to be helpful. I have been shooting in production division and is planning of getting a good but not expensive 40cal, hicap 1911 pistol. I have some questions which may help me in deciding my latest "project":

1. What are internal parts of Armscor pistols made of? I have been told that most parts of the new/latest Armscor pistols are made by Mcormick and Nowlins. Can anybody confirm this?
2. If I start assembling from scratch instead, where can I get a good (but not expensive) 1911 hicap frame? What should I consider in starting from scratch?

I have a limited budget and was thinking of probably assembling part by part (start with frame and later with slide assembly). Major changes in th gun could come later.

My objective is to use gun in range with four to five hundred rounds per month. It should also be reliable enough so as not to give me jams (failure to feed and eject) especially during clubshoots and competition.

Thanks in advance. :)

vega
08-05-2005, 16:00
Originally posted by Arpee
Hello,
1. What are internal parts of Armscor pistols made of? I have been told that most parts of the new/latest Armscor pistols are made by Mcormick and Nowlins. Can anybody confirm this?

2. If I start assembling from scratch instead, where can I get a good (but not expensive) 1911 hicap frame? What should I consider in starting from scratch?

My objective is to use gun in range with four to five hundred rounds per month.

Hi, just want to welcome you to the board! I'm not really a 1911 guy.
1.Mcormick and Nowlins, don't think so. That would ake the cost not competitive.
2.Starting from scratch to save, I think I heard it here, the member spent more but I don't really know the reason.

400-500 rounds per month...HE-HE-HE That's what they all say...;)

Good luck with your project.

cheers,
vega

Eye Cutter
08-05-2005, 17:49
i don't buy my guns as a complete pistol. i build them from parts. my standard pistol took me 2 years to save and acquire all the parts. I started in 2002 and it was finished just last year. Total cost came out to around 90+k including smithing and finishing.

my open pistol is even longer in the making. i started saving up on parts since way back 1998! it is still at the smiths for final assembly.

if you're in a hurry, try to look for a 2nd hand pistol instead and have it customized to your specs. Armscor or Para pa rin ang affordable

isuzu
08-05-2005, 19:16
If you're on a tight budget, get an Armscor. They have worked fine and held their own reputation. However, there might be things that you want to do with it in case you decide to buy one:

1) Change the springs on the pistol. Change them with Wolff and
with the correct ratings. Also, check the barrel link for fit.

2) Change the hammer and sear, as well as the trigger. There are
good gunsmiths back there that imitate the designs of popular
hammers.

3) Contour the grip area. A good gunsmith could shave some material
from the grip area to make it more comfortable. Also put a mag-
well and that could be locally-made as well.

4) You might want to change the sights.

5) You might want to have the pistol refinished with a good-quality
finish such as black chrome if you decide to do all of the above
work. You might just be able to get a discount, and you don't
have to go back to the gunsmith to have your pistol stripped
again just for refinishing.

As for the barrel, just wear out the one that comes with the pistol. I don't know if Armscor imports barrels from outside vendors, but they are somewhat good. You won't get a good price for the barrel that comes with the gun if you decide to sell it.

This is still a better value since Para-Ordnance is now very expensive. Too bad, Para Ordnance doesn't sell straight out of Canada. I don't know why they have to sell out of the US. We could have saved a lot since the exchange rate is somewhere in the P45.70-CDN$1.00 range.

mc_oliver
08-05-2005, 19:54

Nope. Definitely not. The Novak rears aren't even orig.

Limted budget and building from scratch doesn't always go together. Besides mey pasensya ka ba looking at the parts and wondering when mo maipuputok yung baril? ;) Get a factory armscor in 40. Then replace the parts when you have extra cash. My 2 pesos.

Arpee
08-05-2005, 23:35
Guys,

Thanks for your inputs especially on Armscor parts, customization tips and parts that must/can be replaced. This should be helpful whether first or second hand Armscor (or Para).

This will be my third gun (sold the first one and keeping the second for clubshoots and competition locally) but will be my first 1911. First two guns are stock 9mms so your comments here are really appreciated.

Regards,

:)

Eye Cutter
08-06-2005, 08:27
comparing an all-steel and a polymer framed pistol, mas matalbog ang recoil impulse ng plastic. even my team mate who uses a para and an sps pistol in modified division prefers his all steel para kasi the red dot doesn't oscillate as much

magkano na ba singil ng mga gunsmith sa pag convert ng long dust frame and weld up ng slide to full profile ngayon? i heard sa aim precision sa kalayaan it goes like 13-14k including refinishing

royal glockster
08-08-2005, 08:13
magkano na ba singil ng mga gunsmith sa pag convert ng long dust frame and weld up ng slide to full profile ngayon? i heard sa aim precision sa kalayaan it goes like 13-14k including refinishing [/B][/QUOTE]

Col. Bayang charged 6k for long dust conversion with picatinny rail for tac light and finger rest detachable. Rebluing is Php 1,500 for the whole gun while hardchroming is 3k. Waiting time is about 1 week to two weeks depending on the custom jobs you want for your pistol. I have mine engraved with IPSC logo, ganda! How i wish i could post my pics but i dont have the means to do it. His landline no. 840-1362. :cool:

MELBU
08-09-2005, 20:27
Originally posted by Arpee

I have a limited budget and was thinking of probably assembling part by part (start with frame and later with slide assembly). Major changes in th gun could come later.

My objective is to use gun in range with four to five hundred rounds per month. It should also be reliable enough so as not to give me jams (failure to feed and eject) especially during clubshoots and competition.

A.

1.Internal parts of Armscor are made by Armscor.

2.A - You can get frames at local gun dealers. I dont think you can
get a cheap frame.

2.B - What should you consider in starting from scratch? - MONEY;f

Q.

A.
If you assemble a gun from scratch it will cost you for 60,000 to
140,000 more or less. Kung limited ang budget mo medyo madugo ito.

Buying a complete gun is cheaper than building from scratch.

MELBU
08-09-2005, 20:30
By the way there is a hi-cap stainless Para-ord frame at twin pines
makati cinema sqare, they are selling it for P47,000 Bare! What a price! hehehehe;f

Eye Cutter
08-09-2005, 23:49
sps long dustcover 42K sa pb, short dustcover 24K

di ba sti long dustcover P45k sa truweight?

homer_m
08-10-2005, 01:43
di ba sti long dustcover P45k sa truweight?

P50K na.;z