Cable Management [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cable Management

08-05-2005, 22:27
Whats your preference for cable management ?

I'd like to hear or even see some pics of cable management that you guys / girls employ in your PC's. What do you use, zip ties, velco, heat shrink tubing, woven cable covers ect.

until i started buying clear side panneled cases i really didnt care what it looked like. It will look like hell if i dont do something with the cables int he two PCs i am building.

Andy

DeadMansLife
08-06-2005, 15:19
Gravity seems to work for me. I gotta get around to fixing that.;Q

AZ-Boog
08-06-2005, 15:48
cable ties and split tube.

funbob
08-06-2005, 17:00
or lack thereof ;f

http://home.comcast.net/~bobthemtnbiker/DSC01987.jpg

I used to try to keep everything sorted with zip ties but it was a hopeless battle.

08-06-2005, 17:57
Wow those two pics are crazy. I guess i should have been more specific in my question. I was actually refering to the cables inside the cases of PC's. With the new PC cases i have been buying they have one clear plexi glass side which you can see all the spider web type of wiring through.

I think its a shame to buy such a nice case only to see a big spider web of unorganized wiring.

Andy

I most likely will get some small zip ties and maybe some of those tubes that you can put wire inside to hide the mess.

funbob
08-06-2005, 18:01
The inside of the computer doesn't look much better ;f

Alpha752
08-06-2005, 18:29
Those round IDE cables look pretty cool, and really open up the inside of the case.

aspartz
08-06-2005, 18:45
Singing along -- "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Has our culture become so superficial that it is of any import what the INSIDE of a comp case looks like? If it works, be happy. IT is a tool. Not everything has to he a work of art. Not everyone needs to play dress up to do their job.
:soap:

ARS

08-06-2005, 19:26
It only bothers me now that i can see inside the case, so for me its needs fixing.

I like the newer cases so reverting back to the old ones i used is not an option, i need to address the issue. Those of you that dont care are lucky :) but it bothers me and i need to fix what aint broke:)

Andy

IndyGunFreak
08-06-2005, 20:24
Originally posted by Alpha752
Those round IDE cables look pretty cool, and really open up the inside of the case.

;Y ;Y

I can't see inside my case(I think the windows are kinda silly, but thats just me). But these cables really make working inside much easier, I think.

IGF

AZ-Boog
08-06-2005, 21:17
Originally posted by aspartz
Singing along -- "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Has our culture become so superficial that it is of any import what the INSIDE of a comp case looks like? If it works, be happy. IT is a tool. Not everything has to he a work of art. Not everyone needs to play dress up to do their job.
:soap:

ARS

Proper and clean cable management inside of a case, in my view, has more to do with case efficency, air flow and temperatures, than appearence.

08-06-2005, 22:00
Yeah i agree.

Not only will it look better but it makes it easier to work on and will allow for improved air circulation and better cooling. It is not just that it looks bad.

When i build a PC for someone i want them to like the look of it inside and out. Even if they dont know its doing more than looking organized. I build it like its mine, neat and tidy at least now i do you can see inside them :)

Andy

Harlequin
08-07-2005, 06:23
I use zip strips to keep my cables and wires bundles together, and route then near the sides of the case when possible. I attach them to the various metal supports along the sides. Air flow is better and cleaning is much easier.

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2005, 06:50
By the way, I typically just use electrical tape.

IGF

Harlequin
08-07-2005, 08:43
I tried that, but the heat inside the case tended to make the sticky part of the electrical tape melt.

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2005, 09:35
Originally posted by Harlequin
I tried that, but the heat inside the case tended to make the sticky part of the electrical tape melt.

I never had a prob with it.

IGF

fastvfr
08-07-2005, 15:41
Indy, you must have lucked into some High Heat tape or something, b/c I work on 'customized' PC's full of the stuff all the time, and I can sum it up in a word: SLIME.

I use two sizes of zip ties and black Twistems I get with components and cords.

Mostly, though, the important thing is to lay everything out correctly during each stage of the build so you aren't fighting extra cable lengths or too-short ones.

Firstly, I never put a drive of any kind into the top 5.25" bay...the cables from the PSU run straight into that space. Cables fuction well when hot; DVD drives do NOT.

Secondly, I use the MOBO tray and any other concealment to hide the cables behind.

Typically, when straightening cables out I have to pull the PSU cables and re-route them, but that makes this a 20 minute job, tops. No biggie at all, once you get the hang of it.

Bundle the power cables and run them down the drive cage and then straight out to each component, tying them tightly with Twistems as you go...and when you are done you can replace most of the Twistems with cable ties.

Keeps the machines cool so they last longer and also lets you show off all those whizzbang LED fans and that $300 vid card.

And AZBoog had it exactly right; it is 10% asthetics and 90% improved ventilation.

IndyGunFreak
08-07-2005, 21:12
Just to be sure, I opened up my case to make sure there was no problem, and it was fine..

Just to be safe though, I bought some zip ties, and am using those now...

Thanks
IGF

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 21:23
I like big yellow zip ties that can be undone that come with plastic trash bags.

Egyas
08-08-2005, 06:02
I use three things that are key...
1) Velcro tie wraps.
2) Round IDE cables.
3) Modular power supplies (like the one pictured below), and only use the type and length of power cable I need.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/Material/ReviewImages/Ultra_500Wxconnect/ULT31554_LR_2.jpg

http://www.bjorn3d.com/Material/ReviewImages/Ultra_500Wxconnect/ULT31554_LR_1.jpg

Bjorn3d.com (http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=711)
ExtremeMhz.com (http://www.extrememhz.com/xconnect-p1.shtml)