iPods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : iPods

Alpha752
08-06-2005, 16:30
I am wanting a new iPod very very badly. I have a 512mb Ipod Shuffle, and its all I use in the car. I thought 110 songs would be enough for me, but I guess its not. Plus, I really like the play list option of the other ipods. I like a mix of music; country, metal, rock, a little bit of everything. Sometimes I want to hear it all, sometimes just one genre or the other. I cant choose with my shuffle, but with a "real" ipod I could make a country playlist, or a rock one... you see what im saying.

I was thinking about picking up a 4gb ipod mini. 1000 songs should be enough for me, and I can set up the lists, and it wont break the bank. What do yall think? Is that ok, or should I pony up the extra $100 and get a full size ipod? My only use is in the car, but I drive a lot!

08-06-2005, 17:49
I was given a 10 gb Ipod from someone that didnt want it. I think if he new how great they are he would want it back:)

Anyway i use it at the gym and select the appropriate play list for motovation. It really is nice at the gym, most of the time the gym plays absolute crap for music.

Last year i took a trip in the car from Fl to CA, a mear 39 hours of driving alone. My Ipod didnt play the same song twice, gotta love that!

Either way i think you will happy.

Andy

funbob
08-06-2005, 18:04
I'd say buy the biggest one you can afford. 4GB may seem like a lot but you'd be surprised at how quick even that will fill up.

Furant
08-06-2005, 18:32
funbob's right.

I just upgraded my 10GB iPod to a 20GB iPod. Admittedly, even though a 4GB iPod holds more songs than you could ever listen to in one sitting, it is very nice to have the full variety of my classical, country, rock and R&B at my fingertips (not to mention some Wiggles and Elmo for the kids). ...I didn't just admit that on a public forum, did I?

Joey

KG4IDA
08-06-2005, 19:52
I never thought I would have any use for an Ipod mainly because I didn't want to be like those people I would see all the time in public with an Ipod and headphones. No awareness of their surroundings or traffic, etc. However after getting one to use in that car I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I listen to about 75% classical and have every cd I own on a 4gb mini.
I can listen to anything I own at the touch of a button. I use a cassette adapter and find the audio quality fine for use in a car. Be warned however that fiddling with an Ipod in the car is at least as bad as trying to use a cell phone. You also need to master the use of playlists to have any order to what you listen to.

paulk003
08-08-2005, 01:52
Speaking personally 27gb of music and growing every day get the larger ipod. I would wait a couple of month though word on the web has it that the next gen video ipod is getting ready to come out. Which means a current ipod prices will drop.

T. Harless
08-08-2005, 20:40
I have a 40GB iPod photo and it's the coolest. I have 3500+ tunes, every song I own(and a few I don't) and I have 23.3GB available. I also have the Belkin digital media reader so I use it to down load compact flash cards. Best still, my ex -wife and kids bought it for me for my birthday in June.

Also, I have the iTrip FM transmitter to use in my truck. That works mostly great.

Meman5150
08-08-2005, 23:06
SAVE UP you want the biggest you can afford without going over. I have a 20GB one and I have listened to it almost everyday for the last...heck ever since I bought it. All I have to say is you will run out of battery before you can listen to all of the songs. And if you put it in the car you are set and don't have to worry about a thing. And also look at it this way. I think a 6GB Ipod is what 250? for 50 bucks more you get more then half of what you get with the 6GB one. Good luck-

Alpha752
08-10-2005, 17:14
Do they make chargers that I can hook it up to so it keeps a continous charge? I have a car charger for my shuffle, but it wont play while its charging. I want something that I can hook it up to the tape deck adapter, and to a charger and forget about it until I need to take it in to the pc. Is there like a car dock or something?

Thanks

Furant
08-10-2005, 18:01
They do make car chargers. In fact, I saw the other day that Walmart is carrying a full line of iPod accessories, including chargers, cases, speakers, etc. They seem to have all these at prices comparable to what you'd get online.

frefoo
08-11-2005, 22:08
I was at the gym when the Gen 4 just came out and I saw a member with a new Gen 4. I mistook it for a mini and asked him about it.

Once he set me straight that it was not a mini. He went on to state that the mini skipped when he was using it so he bought the Gen 4 and has not had a problem.

The only product I have found that allows playing and charging is the Monster Products. The Belkin iTrip does not.

Zoolander
08-11-2005, 23:14
[/Noob getting ready to look stupid...]

An ipod holds music in the form of mp3's?

Ipod is apple?

How do I transfer music to an ipod and how long would that process take?

I mainly have individual CD's, not on my comp.

So what up, peeps?

Wulfenite
08-11-2005, 23:32
Originally posted by Zoolander
[/Noob getting ready to look stupid...]

An ipod holds music in the form of mp3's?

Technically the files that play on an Ipod are "AAC" format but its more or less the same thing.

Ipod is apple?

Yes

How do I transfer music to an ipod and how long would that process take?

Ipods come with free PC software that interfaces with the pod. The program also organizes your music and "rips" the CD's into AAC format. It takes about 30seconds per song depending on your CPU and Drive speed. You can also purchase music through the Itunes soft ware for 99 cents/song.

I mainly have individual CD's, not on my comp.
With an Ipod you basically go through the hassle of ripping your music 1 time then you put the cd's away more or less forever.

So what up, peeps?

Wulfenite
08-11-2005, 23:42
Originally posted by Alpha752
I was thinking about picking up a 4gb ipod mini. 1000 songs should be enough for me, and I can set up the lists, and it wont break the bank.

Get the full size pod. Several reasons.

1) The 1000 song number is based on a 128kbps sampling rate. 128 is ok, but not great sound quality. If you've got even a marginal ear and you play the pod through a quality set of earbuds or a clean home system you'll be able to detect the difference between 128 and a higher sample rate. I rip my stuff at 192, and I cant tell the difference between the original source cd's. Ripping at 192 does take more space...i.e. fewer songs per meg.

2) The "excess capacity" can be used like a jump drive for transfering other computer files.

3) Its nice to not have to play capacity games. "I'll take that off so I can put this on" is BS. Better to just rip indiscirminately. Its nice to pick the thing up and know that _EVERYTHING_ you have is in there.

4) If your computer HD crashes and you've only have a subset of your collection on the ipod you're stuck re-ripping. With bigger pod you get a 100% back up and recovering your music from a HD crash is a no brainer.

Also, if you get into checking out and ripping audio books from the library or trading and ripping music with friends you can fill up a lot of space quick.

philford
09-22-2005, 12:50
ipodlounge.com is an awesome site, check it out.

Froggy_131
09-22-2005, 13:41
I got a 30 gig for 249.99. Here's how:
1) go to www.OfficeDepot.com
2) select "view cart" on the left hand side
3) select "pick up at store"
4) "find a store" will come up. select the first one you want to check.
5) enter sku 972152 if you want the 20 gig ($233.74) ; 903824 for the 30 gig ($279.99) in the search field.
6) if you get a "No results found for ____", press back on your browser twice, clear cookies and select another store.

At the check out portion, add coupon 19729952 for $30.00 off (ends 10/1).

So your final prices:
20GB $233.74 - 30off = 203.74
30G Photo IPOD $279.99 - 30off = 249.99
Let me know if it works for you. YMMV.

Bushey6
09-22-2005, 21:57
Originally posted by Froggy_131
I got a 30 gig for 249.99. Here's how:
1) go to www.OfficeDepot.com
2) select "view cart" on the left hand side
3) select "pick up at store"
4) "find a store" will come up. select the first one you want to check.
5) enter sku 972152 if you want the 20 gig ($233.74) ; 903824 for the 30 gig ($279.99) in the search field.
6) if you get a "No results found for ____", press back on your browser twice, clear cookies and select another store.

When I entered the sku for the 20 gig, the price it showed me (in atlanta area) was 299! The coupon worked, but only dropped the price to $279. Bummer because 200 bucks would be a sweet deal....

CB

Froggy_131
09-23-2005, 07:45
Originally posted by Bushey6
When I entered the sku for the 20 gig, the price it showed me (in atlanta area) was 299! The coupon worked, but only dropped the price to $279. Bummer because 200 bucks would be a sweet deal....

CB You have to follow the steps verbatim. I did a search for zip code 30301 (general Atlanta) and this store has it available in stock for $233.74:

2284 Peachtree N.W.
Peachtree Rd & Peachtree Memorial
Store# 2306
ATLANTA, GA 30309

Try it again and let me know if it works or you can PM me yoru phone number and I will walk you through it. HTH.

biblefreak
09-23-2005, 10:54
Amazon.com has the 20GIG for $229 shipped!

Short Cut
09-23-2005, 11:20
If you do a lot of driving listening to audio books is another neat use of an iPod. There's no concern about switch CDs while driving and a fullsize will hold many books at once.

Checkout http://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/ if you're interested in audio books. They have a program like Net Flix where they mail them to you in a postage paid return envelope. I just copy them and return them then they send out the next book.

The service works well with an iPod because you can copy the books and return them the day you get them which allows you to build up a decent library fairly quickly.