Steak Rant [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Steak Rant

GlocknSpiehl
08-06-2005, 20:05
So, we had some friends over the other night and my lovely wife makes a fabulous dinner featuring Filet Mignon in a gorgonzola sauce. She casually asks if everyone likes medium rare and the female guest responds with, "I only like steak very well done."

;P ;1 ;G

My sweetie put the nice lady's portion (after cooking the dish) in the microwave to "finish it off".

MDT
08-06-2005, 20:44
That is SOOOOOOO wrong!! If it isn't bleeding (even a little), it is overdone!!! The meat is not ground, so no mad cow stuff. Oh, and what about the folks that want Kechup:steamed: I can't bear to look!!!

MDT

MrsKitty
08-06-2005, 22:15
;T

I want my steak to bleed all over my plate when I cut it ;f

MDT
08-06-2005, 22:21
And if it "moos", all the better!

JMag
08-06-2005, 22:24
Just a note that if there is any "mad cow stuff" you can cook it all you want and it will still be infectious...heating won't kill it!;P

jawjaboy
08-07-2005, 04:52
Sad.........very sad. Almost as sad as folks who eat thier steak with steak sauce!

Fireman64
08-07-2005, 09:00
I know a few people that eat their steaks med-well to well done.

It isn't right....

Mild Bill
08-07-2005, 10:20
I'm a rare or medium rare steak guy, but I gotta say with love; "get over it already"...
They exist---there're lots of them...
Millions of people prefer their meat 'not pink', or were scared into it at some time in their lives...
Many older southerners for instance...
My wife is one of them, but she's from Argentina...

So--- I have to be prepared and get something that she'll like too...
Ya gotta know your guest...
I would have found out in advance if there were any 'well doners' coming,
and I would have been prepared...

Afterwards, the 'well doners' would have praised my consideration!
They would have understood why my wife married me! ;)

Few steaks or cuts of meat (especially Filet) are great when they're cooked that much--
even in a good restaurant.

But from a couple sources, I get a great quality fat streaked Skirt Steak,
or marbled Angus 'Chuck-Eye'...
Like $5.00 a pound!
Both are GREAT seared, cooked thru, and rested, with killer beefy flavor...
Tender and juicy...

They actually would have been better than the rare 'Filet'...
(But I would have requested both)

And I might have dipped a few bites into some type of sauce! Ooooooh!
Again, with love, I'll tell you what you Nazi purists can do with your rules!

Hey! The thread's called "Steak Rant"!

;c
:)

MrsKitty
08-07-2005, 11:26
Originally posted by MDT
And if it "moos", all the better!

What I don't eat, I can ride home ;f

Grog
08-07-2005, 16:27
Originally posted by misskitty5077

;z ;z

:ladiesmn:

^5 ^5 ^5

#wav

MrsKitty
08-07-2005, 19:39
~wg ~wg ~wg

;3

#wav

nickg
08-09-2005, 12:50
MEDIUM-WELL ONLY!!!! that doesn't mean "charred", it just means "cooked"!!! there IS a diiference.

i'll eat one cooked less than that but i'd prefer NOT too!!!

but i do prefer the death penalty for people that put KETCHUP on steak!!!!!!

noway
08-09-2005, 13:24
I like medium-well also. Nothing wrong with eatin a meat that doesn't bleed or moos at you.

If I go to a upscale steak joint I request medium or medium well, fast go steak joints ( applebees,sirlon stockade ,etc... ) I get it medium-well to done and it normally arrives at my plate medium. The best steaks are the ones you hand select the meat yourself and cook it "your way" at home on the grill.

The Pontificator
08-09-2005, 17:20
"well done"?

INFIDEL!!! :(

Short Cut
08-09-2005, 17:31
I prefer my steak medium raw.

Game meat especially has to be cooked on the rare side, for me at least, because it lacks the fat marbling within the meat.

Glockman67
08-23-2005, 14:08
How can you eat a steak medium well to well done?

I guess you guys have sharp dog teeth or something.

I'd be gnawing on the thing for hours.

gman67

Glockgirl26
08-24-2005, 11:29
;T

I want my steak to bleed all over my plate when I cut it ;f

That's what I'm talking about!

And ketchup or steak stauce...oh hell no!

MrsKitty
08-24-2005, 15:57
Originally posted by Glockgirl26
That's what I'm talking about!

And ketchup or steak stauce...oh hell no!

Sometimes I do use hot sauce on my steak ;)

Just sometimes tho... ;f

ChuckUles
08-25-2005, 21:19

Just sometimes tho... ;f

I'm in the minority here, but if it's a quality steak, I like ANY doneness...

Glockgirl26
08-26-2005, 07:54

Hot sauce, hmmmmmm. Could be interesting.

NISMOTom
08-27-2005, 05:00
When asked I usually respond:
"Knock its horns off, wipe its ass and trot 'em on out here!"

Or Medium-Rare

pesticidal
08-27-2005, 05:05
I like my steak medium-rare.

But I have no problems with other peoples tastes. Why get your knickers twisted about it? It's their food, not yours.

berserk
08-28-2005, 06:04
MEDIUM WELL IS THE ONLY WAY

Rinspeed
08-30-2005, 17:12
I like mine medium raw with some fresh Bearnaise sauce and a glass of Sonoma Valley Cab.

c10bonanza
09-03-2005, 14:55
Originally posted by NISMOTom
When asked I usually respond:
"Knock its horns off, wipe its ass and trot 'em on out here!"

Or Medium-Rare

LOL ;z ;z ;z
I prefer medium myself. Nice cool pink center that has plenty of "juice" left.

I don't like my steak to be mushy.

NCGlockFreq
09-09-2005, 12:16
Heated to body temperature works for me. It's fun to chase it around my plate and subdue it first. I'm talkin' a couple of bandaids and the old girl could be back out grazin' again.

fnfalman
09-09-2005, 13:05
Originally posted by GlocknSpiehl
So, we had some friends over the other night and my lovely wife makes a fabulous dinner featuring Filet Mignon in a gorgonzola sauce. She casually asks if everyone likes medium rare and the female guest responds with, "I only like steak very well done."

;P ;1 ;G

My sweetie put the nice lady's portion (after cooking the dish) in the microwave to "finish it off".

There is a guy that I know, a very good friend of mine as a matter of fact, that I would never invite over because the little savage wants his steak well done too. I'll be damned if I were to go shopping for the best cuts and then ruin them. :soap:

GlocknSpiehl
09-11-2005, 12:02
Originally posted by fnfalman
There is a guy that I know, a very good friend of mine as a matter of fact, that I would never invite over because the little savage wants his steak well done too. I'll be damned if I were to go shopping for the best cuts and then ruin them. :soap:

I agree: most cuts of meat I'll sigh and grill them well done, but this was FILET MIGNON, gosh darn it! ;Q LOL That's like ordering a lobster tail and telling them to "burn it".

sinecure
09-20-2005, 00:43
For several seasons I hunted Wyoming elk with three good friends, one of which was an old Texas rancher named Howard.

On one trip, I brought along some frozen high-quality steaks and enough mesquite charcoal to do 'em up right. When it was my turn to cook I made sure they were thoroughly thawed and the charcoal was the perfect heat. I seared the steaks, cooked 'em to medium-rare, and proudly served them with some great spuds. beans, and rice.

Howard cut into his and recoiled from his plate. I asked what was wrong and he said, "Put this one back on the fire... I've seen fence-cut steers that were hurt worse than that get healed-up within a week!"

Yup... Howard was a Texan who liked his beef well-done! To each his own, I guess. ;f :cool:

knightkrawler00
09-21-2005, 13:58
I prefer medium-rare, but I won't pass up steak, so just as long as it's warm. Well, I probably wouldn't pass up a cold steak either.

Davegrave
09-24-2005, 23:43
I cook for a living, and most of you would be surprised at how well, still isn't well enough for some people. I've had steaks on the grill till they were black come back "not done yet" only to be microwaved and "still not done" finally dropped in a deep fryer. I want to vomit sometimes.

PS, to everyone who orders med well or higher. We give you the lower quality steaks, since we assume you won't know any better. And you don't

Not being mean, that's just the way of the world.

Rare for a great steak. Med rare if I know it's not top notch to start with.

hangmans joke
09-27-2005, 04:24
Originally posted by Davegrave
I cook for a living, and most of you would be surprised at how well, still isn't well enough for some people. I've had steaks on the grill till they were black come back "not done yet" only to be microwaved and "still not done" finally dropped in a deep fryer. I want to vomit sometimes.

PS, to everyone who orders med well or higher. We give you the lower quality steaks, since we assume you won't know any better. And you don't

Not being mean, that's just the way of the world.

Rare for a great steak. Med rare if I know it's not top notch to start with.

id like to know where you work ?

JPinAZ
09-27-2005, 13:05
He probably works in any restaurant you go to that serves steaks. I've read in more than a few "insider" type restaurant articles that older/lower quality meat is used for people who order medium well/well steaks. Deficiencies in the quality of the meat get covered up by overcooking.

Rinspeed
09-27-2005, 13:35
Originally posted by JPinAZ
He probably works in any restaurant you go to that serves steaks. I've read in more than a few "insider" type restaurant articles that older/lower quality meat is used for people who order medium well/well steaks. Deficiencies in the quality of the meat get covered up by overcooking.

I think he was referring to the microwave and deep fryer. Neither of which are will do anything to a piece of meat but make it inedible.

Shoeless
10-02-2005, 15:24
Bovine spongiform encephalitis buggers aren't killed by heat?? ;P

Shoeless

Nightlazer
10-13-2005, 01:57
Originally posted by Shoeless
Bovine spongiform encephalitis buggers aren't killed by heat?? ;P

Shoeless
Nope, because its not a bacteria or a virus, but a malformed protien called a Prion.
Heat wont kill it, salting, or smoking wont kill it, because its not alive.
Luckily, to my knowledge its only found in nerve tissue, like the spine and the brain.
Stick to quality steaks and you should be ok.

seanmac45
10-13-2005, 05:29
Filet Mignon, rare, with a nice Bearnaise sauce.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

GlocknSpiehl
10-13-2005, 18:16
My Mom-in-law makes her stroganoff with filet mignon too.

My mouth is watering...

KYglockers
10-13-2005, 18:20
I wont eat it unless its RARE----Very Rare!

thaclient
10-13-2005, 20:21
Here:

http://www.goodcooking.com/steak/doneness.htm

It even has pictures! I'm a "very rare" to "rare" guy myself, as is my girlfriend (god bless her!). I've been tempted to order black & blue (aka Pittsburgh), but I don't really think I'd want a really cold steak.

;c

Glockerel
10-14-2005, 03:18
You simply have to outsmart the uncouth who eat- or better, think they have to eat- well done.
Cook it like it should be cooked- rare-medium rare and turn off the lights and spark some candles. They will never know in the dim light that they are being educated.

wuhungsix
10-15-2005, 05:10
i like my steaks seared on the outside and fleshy on the inside...but i do feel guilty eating it that rare...just like the one i ate for dinner last night

rhikdavis
10-22-2005, 20:24
I like steak sauce on potatoes. ;f

Drjones
11-04-2005, 11:23

`l `l `l `l `l `l `l `l `l `l `l `l

Glockdude1
11-08-2005, 19:44
There should be a law against over done steaks!!!

;N

nickg
11-09-2005, 13:32
either a steak is COOKED or it's not.

medium rare or less is NOT cooked. it's seared.

medium well and i'll kick anybody's butt who gets in my way while i'm COOKING/GRILLING it!! ;f ;f

the steak tartare it still out on the range mooing!!! ;Q

okie
11-13-2005, 03:05
;T

I want my steak to bleed all over my plate when I cut it ;f +1;f

Glockdude1
11-13-2005, 16:17
A1 anyone?

;N

Fred Hansen
11-13-2005, 16:55
Originally posted by The Pontificator
"well done"?

INFIDEL!!! :( What he said. ^^^^^^

wannacmyglock
11-15-2005, 01:21
i prefer mine medium. i can't eat it rare or medium rare, the texture just doesn't appeal to me.

ps. I put ketchup on mine......mustard too.

pss. just kidding on the ps.

bachchoy
11-15-2005, 01:40
Microwave;g

revjen45
11-15-2005, 16:24
It is true that restaurants serving good meat save up the gristle patties for those who order it well done, since by the time it's cooked to shoe leather consistency they won't know the difference. I think spending big $ on a steak in a restaurant is a waste of money. I can buy a premium cut of meat and grill it to perfection myself a lot cheaper and with better results. Starting with a nice rib eye allowed to come to room temp I apply Worchester Sauce, papain tenderizer, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Then I heat the grill up (Shadrack, Meshak, Abednego) and when it's up to temp put the steak on. Sear both sides and watch that the center doesn't get past pink (don't like the consistency at blue). Cover with foil for a few minutes to allow the meat to "rest." I like to eat it with a Cold Steel dagger with a shaving edge just to get in touch with my inner savage. Almond rice is a nice side dish with broccoli or cauliflower and cheese sauce. Excuse me, I think it's time to make supper.

Glockdude1
11-15-2005, 19:47
Originally posted by revjen45
It is true that restaurants serving good meat save up the gristle patties for those who order it well done, since by the time it's cooked to shoe leather consistency they won't know the difference. I think spending big $ on a steak in a restaurant is a waste of money. I can buy a premium cut of meat and grill it to perfection myself a lot cheaper and with better results. Starting with a nice rib eye allowed to come to room temp I apply Worchester Sauce, papain tenderizer, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Then I heat the grill up (Shadrack, Meshak, Abednego) and when it's up to temp put the steak on. Sear both sides and watch that the center doesn't get past pink (don't like the consistency at blue). Cover with foil for a few minutes to allow the meat to "rest." I like to eat it with a Cold Steel dagger with a shaving edge just to get in touch with my inner savage. Almond rice is a nice side dish with broccoli or cauliflower and cheese sauce. Excuse me, I think it's time to make supper.

Nothing finer than a properly grilled texas steak.......

;N

nickg
11-16-2005, 10:35
Originally posted by revjen45
I think spending big $ on a steak in a restaurant is a waste of money. I can buy a premium cut of meat and grill it to perfection myself a lot cheaper and with better results.

when my wife and i were in palm springs in september we stopped at a steak house there to check out some prices. they wanted $55 for a porterhouse!!!!! ^4 ^4 ^4

and that was a la carte so you STILL had to pay extra for your sides. my wife said "we got a lot of nerve coming into this place!!" ;f

Glockdude1
11-16-2005, 14:56
Originally posted by nickg
they wanted $55 for a porterhouse!!!!! ^4 ^4 ^4 ;f

Was Pamela Anderson NAKED when she served it to you??????

;N

JMag
11-16-2005, 15:18
Beyond medium and you might as well ask for leather... ;f

nickg
11-17-2005, 13:38
Originally posted by Glockdude1
Was Pamela Anderson NAKED when she served it to you??????

***edited by misskitty****

;L You know better!