Driver updates?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Driver updates??

Me&MyG23
08-06-2005, 21:40
Hey all,

Are there any sites that will allow me to update drivers for free on the net? I just got a 1 gig PC for free, HD was wiped clean. I need some drivers for the video, audio and would like to scan the PC for any other updated drivers I might need for it. Thank you for the help!

08-06-2005, 21:46
Windows update will will list any newer drivers for your devices.

Or look to see what Vid & sound cards you have and head over to the Manufactures web site, they usally have free driver down loads. You may get a more current driver using the maker of the devices web site, i dont think windows update is as current as some these.

Andy

Providing your using a windows OS of course

GTIMANiac
08-06-2005, 22:24
www.driverguide.com

funbob
08-06-2005, 22:57
Your best bet is to figure out the makers of the various components in your PC and download the drivers directly from them. They'll be the most up to date versions. The PC maker will probably have a support page as well which may contain downloads but they're typically not the latest versions. It may be useful for determining the makers of the components though. Windows Update is rather limited in its driver selection, don't count on it helping a whole lot.

Me&MyG23
08-07-2005, 06:22
Thanks for the replies.

The PC has on-board video. From what I see, it is only capable of 16 colors (can only adjust between 2 & 16 colors). ;g I'm just going to get a cheap video and audio card for it and be done with it.

I'm going to give this to the kids when I'm done with it. I have about 10 educational games to load for them. The games won't even load because the video doesn't have the minimun requirements.

bobby_w
08-07-2005, 06:31
Originally posted by Me&MyG23
The PC has on-board video. From what I see, it is only capable of 16 colors (can only adjust between 2 & 16 colors). ;g I'm just going to get a cheap video and audio card for it and be done with it.

No need to spend money on a video card. I use onboard video all the time.

It is only doing 16 colors because you have not loaded the video drivers for your Motherboard. Its using MSWindows generic drivers.

Figure out what motherboard it is and go get the specfic drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website. They will have the video drivers available to activate the video and all of the other components.

List the motherboard and we will help you find the right drivers

Me&MyG23
08-07-2005, 06:38
Originally posted by bobby_w
No need to spend money on a video card. I use onboard video all the time.
List the motherboard and we will help you find the right drivers

Thanks! What is the easiest way to find out what motherboard it has?

jack19512
08-07-2005, 07:40
There is a program I like called Everest. I can't remember where I got it from though. It will tell you what all you have on your computer. I tried to find it for you but I couldn't. Maybe someone else knows where to find it or a program similar to it.

Medievaltech
08-07-2005, 08:01
Everest (http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en)

pyblood
08-07-2005, 09:34
What OS did you install on there? Every PC around that speed, XP has had all of the drivers for it. I gave my Mother in law a P3 1GHz a few months back. I put XP Pro on there and I didnít have to install a single driver.

Me&MyG23
08-07-2005, 12:04
Originally posted by jack19512
There is a program I like called Everest. I can't remember where I got it from though. It will tell you what all you have on your computer. I tried to find it for you but I couldn't. Maybe someone else knows where to find it or a program similar to it.
Thank you for the reply. I just downloaded it and installed it on my XP machine. I will hook the Dell up later on and run that program to see what type of motherboard is in it. ;c

Me&MyG23
08-07-2005, 12:05
Originally posted by Medievaltech
Everest (http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en)
Thanks for the link! :)

Me&MyG23
08-07-2005, 14:16
Ok, I got the video working, but can't seem to do anything with the audio. I tried to install the AC'97 codec and the PC just crashes on start-up. I get this fatal exception garbage. I have no idea what the deal is now. HELP!

08-07-2005, 15:11
Everest link, bravo! never seen that before, it will come in handy.

Me&My

post the MB model and we will search for a driver for you. or provide the del model # we may be able to get drivers from dells site.

Andy

Me&MyG23
08-07-2005, 15:33
Originally posted by USCG1988
Everest link, bravo! never seen that before, it will come in handy.

Me&My

post the MB model and we will search for a driver for you. or provide the del model # we may be able to get drivers from dells site.

Andy

Here's what I have.....the PC is a Dell Optiplex GX110

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell OptiPlex GX110

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz
Effective Clock 133 MHz
Bandwidth 1067 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
Product Information http://www.dell.com
BIOS Download http://support.dell.com

Me&MyG23
08-08-2005, 05:14
I have looked on the net for the AC97 codec. I found it, tried installing it and when the PC restarts, it crashes. I tried this twice. Dunno if I got a bad file or what, but these drivers are hard to find.

Washington,D.C.
08-08-2005, 05:38
Click "Downloads and Drivers" here

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Product Model:OptiPlex GX110

Then choose your operating system.All the Dell drivers should be there.

Me&MyG23
08-08-2005, 08:50
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Click "Downloads and Drivers" here

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Product Model:OptiPlex GX110

Then choose your operating system.All the Dell drivers should be there.
Which would work for sound? These are what they list under audio drivers:

Analog Devices AD1881 Integrated Audio
Analog Devices AD1885 Integrated Audio
Creative Labs SB AudioPCI 64V
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 64 PCI
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 512V
Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

None of these match the Device Description on my pc. I have the nVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Codec Interface PCI

David_G17
08-08-2005, 09:42
Originally posted by Me&MyG23
Which would work for sound? These are what they list under audio drivers:

Creative Labs SB AudioPCI 64V
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 64 PCI
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 512V
Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

None of these match the Device Description on my pc. I have the nVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Codec Interface PCI

each of those drivers listed is for a different sound card.

nVIDIA nForce refers to you video card (or as it sounds like in your case, the video chip on your motherboard).

is your audio on your motherboard, or is it a separate card?

Washington,D.C.
08-08-2005, 13:24
On Dell's website you can enter the service tag number and it will tell the original parts and exact drivers rather than the whole list.

Me&MyG23
08-08-2005, 14:40
Originally posted by David_G17
is your audio on your motherboard, or is it a separate card?
Sound is onboard.

Washington,D.C.
08-08-2005, 14:53
It should be one of these two