Updating bios failed, wont boot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Updating bios failed, wont boot

08-07-2005, 19:07
I was updating a few things on a PC i dont use much and i have damaged the bois or something.

I was using winbios and it didnt look to be the correct MB and i thought i caneled the install. Upon rebooting i get no bois at all, its asking for a floppy. Safe mode doesnt work ant all, hitting del on the boot does nothing.

I dont want to reload the system as i am rarely using that PC. It is a 2.4 Ghz P4 so its worth fixing.

Any ideas?

the error reads:

Bios Rom checksum error
detecting floppy drive A

Andy

LKG doenst work either, i never get to the option to select it.

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 19:23
Can you flash the bios with the correct one?

08-07-2005, 19:34
Maybe, never done it. Thats what got me into trouble to begin with:)

I suppose i need to DL it and put it on a floppy because thats all that seems to work on it.

its a crappy MB i am not sure its even supported, i will look.

Andy

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 19:40
It may work.Doing it from a floppy is vest and seems the only way now.Certain motherboards won't take bios flash unless there is a bios present from the company that made the PC.Even some of those will take a flash from the original motherboard maker rather than the PC maker.If it's a standard make motherboard you might be able to get it working.

08-07-2005, 20:13
Booting with the bios flash program on a floppy does didnt work.

It is asking for a system disk and then to press enter.

I created a MS dos boot floppy let me see if this will do anything.

Andy

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 20:18
Does the bios show up?Some of those bio flashes for floppies must be opened and run in Windows with a formatted floopy in the floppy drive.Sometimes you can't just copy the bios flash to the disk.

08-07-2005, 20:23
No i dont get any bios at all.

just this:

Bios ROM checksum error

Insert system disk and press enter

Inserting a MS dos boot disk did nothing. What does it mean "system disk"?

Andy

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 20:48
Do you get any boot screen?Some bios flashes are programs that you open and run on another pc and they write automatically to the floppy.This is more than just copying the file to the floppy but you do it on another PC.It only writes to the floppy.What make motherboard or PC is it?Did you find the bios flash program for that motherboard on the internet?

08-07-2005, 20:52
No boot screen what so ever straight tothis:

BIOS ROM checksum Error

the it dects a floppy and asks:

Insert system disk and press enter.

Its an older ESC board which i found the bios for on the ECS web site.

Andy

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 20:57
Is the bios suppose to be directly copied to floppy or is it a program to be run in Windows to make a floppy?

08-07-2005, 21:02
There were two

one was a windows based program and i think the other a dos based.

I am checking right now.

Andy

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 21:02
Warning!
Updating your BIOS constitutes a risk! If flashing goes wrong, it may render your motherboard unbootable thus requiring you to send your motherboard or BIOS chip in for re-flashing (RMA).

What's the webpage and which motherboard and bios is it?

08-07-2005, 21:05
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=44&DetailName=BIOS&DetailDesc=L4VXA2(1.0A)&MenuID=45&LanID=9

its the top one listed.

Andy

there are two down loads for my version, one i think is dos based ?

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 21:09
Okay,your link didn't show up completely but it looks like one is an exe Windows program and the other is in a zip file and must be extracted.Neither one is designed to be copied directly to a floppy.

08-07-2005, 21:13
that may be a problem then.

I did read the cautions on the ECS web page and one stuck out:

" Please do not update the BIOS if your system is running fine."

Now they tell me :)

Andy

I extracted it and copied it to a floppy with no luck. I will one more thing.

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 21:16
you should be able to run the exe Windows one and make a floppy or extract the zip file in Windows and make a floppy.You need to download to another PC then open it.It should give you directions to follow to make a floppy.

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 21:18
The zip file ones normally aren't as easy as the exe programs.Download the exe program then open(double click) it.It should give you a DOS like window with directions to insert a formatted floppy and continue.

08-07-2005, 21:21
I tried that 3 times aready, it asks for a system disk, it doesnt care about the one i have in there.

Andy

Washington,D.C.
08-07-2005, 21:24
Okay I meant to do that on the good PC to make a floppy.You might try a Windows CD rescue if it will read the CD.

08-07-2005, 21:28
it wont read a CD.

I downloaded the bios programs from the web with my good PC, Extracted the Zip to a floppy and tried it in the problem PC.

At this point i am baffled

Andy

one of those downloads is just a .BIN file.

the other is a program.

08-07-2005, 21:58
Ok to summerize and throw in the towel.

No boot screen what so ever straight to this:

BIOS ROM checksum Error

Detecting floppy drive A media...

Insert system disk and press enter

upon inserting the floppy with the bios program on it and pressing enter i get this:

Drive A error. system halt

Now i know the floppy drive is good so its not a bad or unconnected floppy. I checked all the connections on the floppy, in fact i got a brand new one i tried as well with the same error msg.

Lesson learned here, if it aint broke dont update it. I will just daisy chain the HDD to my other PC and transfer the docs and Favorites. Then i will have to reload windows and spend 5 hours installing programs and downloading updates. Oh Joy! But like i said it is a P4 2.8 Gz and is worth the effort to put back to working order.

what a bummer

Andy

thx for the help DC

aspartz
08-07-2005, 22:13
If the BIOS is DOA, there is no way for DOS to boot. W/O a BIOS and dos, there is not file system.

When the hobbled MB is asking for a "system disk" it might, just might, be asking for a floppy with the contents of the .BIN file written to the 1st track.

To resolve this you're may need something akin to rawwrite.

ARS

08-07-2005, 22:18
One of the files i downloaded was a BIN and it was on the floppy. I am not sure i know what you mean about written to the 1st track.

Andy

AZ-Boog
08-07-2005, 22:19
sorry to hear about your troubles with the BIOS flashing there Andy.

You sure have had your share, and then some, of PC issues lately.

I think you need to contact the mobo manufacturer and get them to send you another BIOS chip. For a small fee most mobo manufacturers will do this.

As you've found out, flashing the BIOS can go horribly wrong.

I know this is too late for you but this little gem here (http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/bios_saviour/)

will recover an original BIOS if a flash goes wrong.

unfortunately right now you don't have a good bios to go back too.

good luck!

Jon

08-07-2005, 22:29
AZ

the problem is i have 3 pcs im building right now, i am waiting on newegg parts to arrive this week to finish them off. I got bored and started updating my vid drivers. My vid card driver was way out of date but the new drivers brougth it to life again. I figured why not upgrade the bios it was 4 years old. The result is this post.

I never ran accross this before and i think the bios is toast. The ECS board is old and hey why not just get a nice current new board and reuse that P4 2.8 in it along with the other components. So thats my plan after i finish the other 3.

Andy

fastvfr
08-08-2005, 00:20
See if the BIOS chip is soldered in or a cheaper, removable IC...

You may be able to order the proper BIOS already installed on a chip.

But due to the ECS reputation, just like a FoxConn or a PCChips board, I'd try to RMA it; if that failed I'd just junk it and get a proper MOBO such as an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe or a P4P800.

Both are outstanding motherboards.

AZ-Boog
08-08-2005, 16:32
Actually you should probably get a truly outstanding motherboard, like an Abit IC7-G.

;)

08-08-2005, 17:00
Its just a back up computer to my main one. A top end MB is not in the budget, i will go middle of the road.

andy

Medievaltech
08-08-2005, 17:24
If you want a good reliable middle of the road motherboard get an ASROCK.

08-08-2005, 21:24
I like hte Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. Now that i am buying a new board to replace my screw up i may use the Abit GD8 in my backup instead of my main system i am building. This will allow me to buy the Asus yet still make use of the one i had planned to use. I just think the Asus board will suit my version of a gaming computer much better.

If my lotto numbers hit i will have to add this baby to my list also :) :)

http://www.xoxide.com/zalman6.html

Andy