To seal or not to seal my bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : To seal or not to seal my bullets

jlkwison
08-08-2005, 02:14
Hi everyone, I have a question with regards to putting laquer on my bullet's primer and in between the bullet and the case...

A friend of mine says that he uses clear nail polish to seal the primer and the case-bullet head and says that it works and his bullets (el diablo bullets local brand) are like new (does not smoke much) even if he uses them after 2 years...the question is, is it really advisable to use nail polish ? Or is there a product specifically made for sealing bullet primers and case-head contact ? I use Federal 124 JHPs, do I really need to seal them up in the first place ? I plan to keep them for 2-3 years only before I replace them.

PS

I have another friend who gave me his Federal JHPs and corbons which he kept for around 2 years. When I fired it in the range, the smoke and debri were comparable to a brand new armscor bullet. My friend never sealed them with laquer.

Thanks lots

941f
08-08-2005, 04:33
Good Afternoon,
Yung ammo ko ay nilalagyan ko ng nail polish around the primer area just to seal it. The reason why I'm doing it, is that minsan may langis ng kaunti ang baril, baka mag penetrate sa ammo. I read an article on this a few years back at 'Guns and Ammo'. Wala naman akong problem na na-encounter.
For reloaded ammo, sa 45 ay hindi na kailangan kung pang target lang. However sa 9mm na sakit na yung lumuluwag ang primer pag luma na ang shell. I put a small amount of nail polish around just to be sure. Before when I was not yet reloading, may incident akong natanggal ang primer ng 9mm at nag jam during a competion kaya pala ayaw pumutok.
;f

revo
08-08-2005, 12:44
Do you regularly expose your ammunition to rain/water ?

Or do you store your ammunition for many years without using them - for example, like burying them undergound ?

vega
08-08-2005, 13:25
Originally posted by jlkwison
A friend of mine says that he uses clear nail polish to seal the primer and the case-bullet head and says that it works and his bullets (el diablo bullets local brand) are like new (does not smoke much) even if he uses them after 2 years...the question is, is it really advisable to use nail polish ? Or is there a product specifically made for sealing bullet primers and case-head contact ? I use Federal 124 JHPs, do I really need to seal them up in the first place ? I plan to keep them for 2-3 years only before I replace them.
There is a product specifically made for the purpose but I don't see anything wrong with using clear nail polish. If you are going to store them for only 2 years you do not need to do that, but if you want to go right ahead.

vega

Allegra
08-08-2005, 19:06
di kaya masunog yung nail polish at maipon sa chamber

calcite
08-09-2005, 01:54
I read in another thread that it is advisable to use lockable plastic containers (the one with rubber seals) for long term ammo storage. Put a couple of pieces of silica gel and it should last a long time.

941f
08-09-2005, 05:10
Wala namang incident na nasunog ang nail polish. However the nexttime you have your bullets reloaded, hindi sya natatanggal. Its still the best to use good shells and primers to provide the best seal and store bullets in good containers.

Mang Danny
08-09-2005, 09:48
During my early reloading sessions, I soaked 10 rounds of 45 acp in a pail of water for one week. No sealant or heavy crimp. Went to the range and shot them together w/ the same batch as the others. They all went bang. I know its not a scientific test, katuwaan lang. Just looking back at my "kalokohan". ;)

jlkwison
08-15-2005, 03:08
Originally posted by revo
Do you regularly expose your ammunition to rain/water ?

Or do you store your ammunition for many years without using them - for example, like burying them undergound ?

No Sir.