Radio Tower? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Radio Tower?

KinderGlocken
08-08-2005, 07:00
I have moved to a new house outside of town. I can no longer get DSL or cable internet service. My only option for broad band internet service is wireless radio. I had a wireless internet provider come out and do a site survey and the only place I get “line of site” to the tower is on top of my chimney on the front of my house. My wife said that would not fly! They also said that I could strip one of my trees, to keep it from swaying, and have that be a dish pole. I did not want to that either. So I was thinking I could put up a small trellis like tower like I’ve seen used by HAM radio operators. Where do you buy such a tower? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

martho
08-08-2005, 07:32
Since there will be little to no weight on the tower, you can use one of the really lightweight aluminum towers. The are available used all over the place and can be had for free, if taken away and/or taken down. NC is a state with a large ham population. If you see a tower next to a house and there is nothing on it, you can always knock on the door and see if they want to sell/give it away.

Dandapani
08-08-2005, 07:45
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lightweight+aluminum+radio+antenna+tower&btnG=Google+Search

Glock Bob
08-08-2005, 20:41
I used chainlink fence posts for my tower. It's about 30 feet tall and has never once threatened to fall in the wind. I have a couple of guy wires on mine as it's free-standing. However, if you put it up against your house all you'd need are some strong brackets to bolt into the wall.