Paintball gun vs marker! When/why? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Paintball gun vs marker! When/why?

Dandapani
08-08-2005, 09:30
When my sons were growing up, they went through the paintball stage, but somewhere along the way I missed the transition from calling it a paintball GUN to a paintball MARKER?

When did Rosie O'Dummy start getting involved in paintball?

I can understand the why. It's bad enough "the children" are shooting and hitting each other so the name had to be changed! LOL.

quinnt
08-09-2005, 22:49
Most people who play paintball arent into real guns, and they dont like their "toys" to be associated with the real thing, its also easier to call it a marker around uninformed people then calling it a paintball gun and getting the 3rd degree about how dangerous it is

vafish
08-10-2005, 08:42
I have a couple of the original Nelspot 007 paintball MARKERS.

The original intent of the manufacture was not for people to go around shooting each other, they were original designed for forestry guys to walk around and mark trees to be cut down.

Somewhere shortly after they were first introduced some forrest workers must have started shooting each other out of boredom.

08-12-2005, 21:05
Originally posted by vafish
Somewhere shortly after they were first introduced some forrest workers must have started shooting each other out of boredom. I'd be willing to bet that it was about 2.3 seconds after the first worker turned his back on the other guys. ;f

epsylum
08-22-2005, 23:54
Originally posted by vafish
I have a couple of the original Nelspot 007 paintball MARKERS.

The original intent of the manufacture was not for people to go around shooting each other, they were original designed for forestry guys to walk around and mark trees to be cut down.

Somewhere shortly after they were first introduced some forrest workers must have started shooting each other out of boredom.

I read an article in a Sports Illustrated of all things that interviewed the guy who literally invented paintball. He said the ones he got that started it all were used to mark cattle from afar. When the ineveitble "does it hurt?" one guy just shot one of the other guys. Funny thing is the whole paintball idea started over a bet. One guy said that city life skills could translate into a combat situation the other said survival skills mattered more. So they cam up with this to find out who was right. The "survival skills" guy won.

Molz
08-25-2005, 23:01
Originally posted by epsylum
I read an article in a Sports Illustrated of all things that interviewed the guy who literally invented paintball. He said the ones he got that started it all were used to mark cattle from afar. When the ineveitble "does it hurt?" one guy just shot one of the other guys. Funny thing is the whole paintball idea started over a bet. One guy said that city life skills could translate into a combat situation the other said survival skills mattered more. So they cam up with this to find out who was right. The "survival skills" guy won. As an interesting side note, not one shot was fired in the first game of paintball.

2 Hawks
11-21-2005, 20:33
A paintball gun can shoot your eye out, so you calls it a paintball MARKER and mom buys ya one;f

And my Glock is a long range drill..;a

brock sampson
11-22-2005, 22:08
That statement, without doubt, is one of the best explanations I've heard in answer to the "marker/gun" question!

Also, in reguards to the first game of paintball played, it all depends who you ask. I've been involved in this game at every level for a few years now and nobody seems to be able to give a difinitive answer to the history around the first games played. There are a few different stories but the most accurate I think I've heard is that there were a few people in different parts of the country that started shooting at their friends around the same time in the mid to late 80's.
Thank goodness S.I. is able to tell us what happened huh?

FL_FlatTop
12-14-2005, 13:26
No reason as to why, but having travelled through airports post 9/11 with my paintball MARKER, the TSA's take to the following statement much better:

"Oh by the way there is a paintball MARKER in my suitcase"

as opposed to

"oh by the way there is a paintball GUN in my suitcase"

just my .02 - Having travelled with my marker a couple times including the day I bought it. The only thing I have heard from a TSA after saying marker is "oh those things are fun"

Lightsped
12-14-2005, 15:44
You SHOOT guns, you DRAW with markers.

That being said, I don't own a paintball marker, but I do own a paintball gun.

2 Hawks
12-14-2005, 18:23
Originally posted by Lightsped

That being said, I don't own a paintball marker, but I do own a paintball gun.

Mine would be a paintball submachinegun;z

GunBomB
12-28-2005, 04:12
Trust me paintball players love guns, and we love to kill each other. Every weekend rain or shine, there's a lil war in all of us.

GunBomB
12-28-2005, 04:13
And when I go to tournaments and TSA looks in our team gun trunk, they wanna know who the sniper is so they can shake his hand...LMFAO!!!

major
01-12-2006, 06:44
gun......if you're trying to impress someone.
marker......if you're talking to your mom.

brock sampson
01-12-2006, 18:35

That being said, I don't own a paintball marker, but I do own a paintball gun

That being said, I own a Marker. And more than once I've drawn my initials on someone's back going down the field.