confusing problem. Can I beg for some help? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : confusing problem. Can I beg for some help?

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 21:27
Have a new computer for my daughter. $349 from Circuit city...Celeron D (512 MB) , monitor, and printer. (XP Home)

Not too bad for a budget computer.

Anyway, it's connected on Wireless. It's been working, but now it quit connecting to the internet (for no apparent reason).

from computer to internet its: Wireless card--> Wireless Access point --> Router --> cable modem --> internet.

I can browse other computers connected to the router. I can also connect to the internet with another computer through the same path. (different wireless card, same access point)

It behaves the same whether XP's firewall is on or off.

I can see the router at 192.168.x.x with the offending computer. (it pulls the login popup)

I can't get onto the net with anything...IE, Firefox, or command prompt. (I can ping router, but no www sites)

Norton AV is clean, MS Antispyware is clean.

Please help me before my 13 year old daughter explodes from internet withdrawals. ;Q

Thanks.

ReAX222
08-08-2005, 21:37
Try an ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

ReAX222
08-08-2005, 21:40
I assume your on a workgroup so the your gateway should be your router at 192.168.0.1. What does the malfunctioning computer list in ipconfig?

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 21:46
Originally posted by ReAX222
Try an ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Done. (thanks for the suggestion)

still same problem.

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 21:49
I assume your on a workgroup so the your gateway should be your router at 192.168.0.1. What does the malfunctioning computer list in ipconfig?

gateway is at 192.168.1.1

computer says it's at 192.168.1.106, (and they are on the same workgroup.)

I am assuming that the IP is set by DHCP.

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 21:56
I really kinda feel like it's something pretty simple, but I am not sure.

What am I missing?

vote Republican
08-08-2005, 21:57
Need to know if it is getting DNS- ping glocktalk.com, do you get an IP address back or not?

Also if you look in the router config, there should be an IP address for your ISPs DNS - see if you can ping that.

ReAX222
08-08-2005, 21:58
There is the problem. IT should be controlled by dchp, but it is being told that 106 is the gate way. I can only think of two causes. Internet connection sharing is enabled on the 106 computer or it has been configure manually.

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 22:04
Originally posted by vote Republican
Need to know if it is getting DNS- ping glocktalk.com, do you get an IP address back or not?

Also if you look in the router config, there should be an IP address for your ISPs DNS - see if you can ping that.

cannot ping outside the router at all, but I can ping other computers within the router.

Also cannot ping DNS server. It doesn't seem to be seeing ANYTHING outside the router.

'preciate the help, J.

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 22:08
There is the problem. IT should be controlled by dchp, but it is being told that 106 is the gate way. I can only think of two causes. Internet connection sharing is enabled on the 106 computer or it has been configure manually.

Haven't checked on connection sharing yet, but IPCONFIG reports that gateway is 192.168.1.1 (as it should be?)

the offending computer's IP is 106 (again, as it should be?)

I'm no guru, but I am pretty sure I am reading that right.

ReAX222
08-08-2005, 22:09
It is asking 192.168.0.106 for dns and 192.168.0.1 is not answering the request. right click "my network places", properites. right click wireless connection, properties. in that window click tcp/ip and configure. from here you should be able to manually enter the gateway address until you can remove the problem.

Offend computer reads?
Ip address: 192.168.1.106
subnet mask 255.255.252.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 22:10
How do I turn Internet Connection Sharing on/off?

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 22:18
It is asking 192.168.0.106 for dns and 192.168.0.1 is not answering the request. right click "my network places", properites. right click wireless connection, properties. in that window click tcp/ip and configure. from here you should be able to manually enter the gateway address until you can remove the problem.

Offend computer reads?

Close... subnet is 255.255.255.0

this matches what the router thinks it's IP address is as well.

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 22:20
What happens if I do DHCP release/renew from within my router?

Think maybe the Client table is screwed up?

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 22:23
Well... I did IPCONFIG on the offending computer again. It changed the last octet from 106 to 103.

I don't think that in the final analysis this will matter, but it still doesn't work.

gamegod86
08-08-2005, 22:40

Offend computer reads?

What you are saying seems backwards to me. Please help me understand. I was under the impression that the 106 (now 103) computer would request an IP address from the gateway at 192.168.1.1

I tried manually entering the gateway (x.x.1.1) as you described, but it still didn't work. What am I not understanding?

Meman5150
08-08-2005, 23:55
I had this problem once when I first bought my wireless router. I didn't read the instruction manuel but then after I took it back and got a new one the same thing happened. I'm not saying you didn't read it but I figured out I needed to set up my router. By the way what routers and WNIC's are they?

Zoolander
08-09-2005, 00:06
Revenge of the nerds part 5.

LOL.

vote Republican
08-09-2005, 05:44
Can you do ipconfig/all and post that up? Also do that from a working computer.

gamegod86
08-09-2005, 07:23
Originally posted by Meman5150
I had this problem once when I first bought my wireless router. I didn't read the instruction manuel but then after I took it back and got a new one the same thing happened. I'm not saying you didn't read it but I figured out I needed to set up my router. By the way what routers and WNIC's are they?

Both are Linksys. befsr41 and wap11

This is not really a new install. It worked for 3 or 4 days before this mysterious problem appeared yesterday.

I can surf (and post on GT) through the same equipment from a different computer.

J, I will do that when I get back in a while. Monthly sales meeting this AM.:(

Thanks

grantglock
08-09-2005, 09:36
try running this program and see if it fixes the problem, i've seen this before.

http://siebrecht.us/~grant/winsockxpfix.exe

gamegod86
08-09-2005, 18:54
Can you do ipconfig/all and post that up? Also do that from a working computer.

Broken:

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/gamegod86/pictures/screenshotBROKE.jpg

Working:

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/gamegod86/pictures/screenshotWORKS.jpg

Also, Grant, thanks for the program, but it did not fix the problem.

This is very frustrating. Thanks for all the help so far.

grantglock
08-09-2005, 19:17
try hooking the broken computer directly to the router via an ethernet cable instead of the wireless card and see if that works.

vote Republican
08-09-2005, 19:43
Originally posted by grantglock
try hooking the broken computer directly to the router via an ethernet cable instead of the wireless card and see if that works.
Good suggestion.

I see your problem - all kinds of stuff in your config is fuzzed out.

;e

Seriously though, the settings look good. Has anything in your router config changed?

Go to your router config (admin) web page - I think under status there is the WAN ip address. See if you can ping that from the broken PC. It sounds from re-reading the whole thing that somehow your router is not routing traffic from this PC. If you can ping the router but not the WAN ip address then that would be the case.

Another diagnostic other than the above is to switch wireless cards between the working & broken equipment (if possible) something similar to see if there is an issue with the PC or the card.

lomfs24
08-09-2005, 23:32
Your settings all look fine. And since you can ping everything in your network and you just can't get out. It would lead me to believe it is a setting in your router.

Couple questions.

1. Do you have an open wireless network? Meaning, can anyone who wants to connect to your wireless network?

2. Do you have default usernames and passwords on your router?

If the answer to either one of those two quesions is yes, then change them so they are no.

Then log onto your router and see if that MAC address is being filtered. Sounds to me like that MAC address is being filtered. Maybe a cruel joke played by a wardriver who logged onto your network to have some fun. The reason I think it is a MAC address that is being filtered is that it appears that the IP address changed from 106 to 103 and it still didn't work.

What ever it is, it's gotta be a setting on the router.

gamegod86
08-10-2005, 07:48
Good suggestion.

I see your problem - all kinds of stuff in your config is fuzzed out.

;e

BRILLIANT! ;f

Seriously though, the settings look good. Has anything in your router config changed?

not to my knowledge.

Go to your router config (admin) web page - I think under status there is the WAN ip address. See if you can ping that from the broken PC. It sounds from re-reading the whole thing that somehow your router is not routing traffic from this PC. If you can ping the router but not the WAN ip address then that would be the case.

I CAN ping that wan IP. It even has zero packet loss. This makes NO friggin' sense.

Another diagnostic other than the above is to switch wireless cards between the working & broken equipment (if possible) something similar to see if there is an issue with the PC or the card. [/B]

Good idea, but I only have 2 wirelss setups, one is PCI (the offending one) and one is PCMCIA (laptop, being used for this post)

gamegod86
08-10-2005, 07:56
Originally posted by lomfs24
Your settings all look fine. And since you can ping everything in your network and you just can't get out. It would lead me to believe it is a setting in your router.

Couple questions.

1. Do you have an open wireless network? Meaning, can anyone who wants to connect to your wireless network?

Yes, my nearest neighbor is quite a distance away, and I am pretty sure that the WAP won't pick up at the street.

2. Do you have default usernames and passwords on your router?

no.

If the answer to either one of those two quesions is yes, then change them so they are no.

Then log onto your router and see if that MAC address is being filtered. Sounds to me like that MAC address is being filtered. Maybe a cruel joke played by a wardriver who logged onto your network to have some fun. The reason I think it is a MAC address that is being filtered is that it appears that the IP address changed from 106 to 103 and it still didn't work.

What ever it is, it's gotta be a setting on the router.

Under "advanced" and "filters" there is a button for editing MAC filter settings. There are no MAC addresses in any of the 50 slots on the filter.

Once this is resolved, however, I intend to use them.

gamegod86
08-10-2005, 08:06
One other thing that seems strange. (may be normal, I dunno.)

Firefox, when I try to go to a website, just puts up a popup stating that the site could not be found, check the name and try again.

However, when I use Internet Exploder, it claims to not be able to open the "search page." In the status bar at the bottom, (when trying to open www.google.com) it says "opening page http://auto.search.msn.com/response.asp?MT=www.google.com&srch=3&prov=fofl&utf8..." (actual contents shortened by GT's url filter)

Is this standard behavior for IE?

a spyware scan came up dry, but is it possible that I missed something?

gamegod86
08-10-2005, 08:27
Originally posted by gamegod86
I really kinda feel like it's something pretty simple, but I am not sure.

What am I missing?

I was right. I FREAKING HATE NORTON PRODUCTS!!! IT WAS THE SO CALLED "INTERNET SECURITY!!!"

I usually use ZoneAlarm, but this Norton crap came with the computer, so I figured I would use it.

This has cost me a lot of frustration and time. I HATE norton with their obscure dumbed down references to everything. You never know what is really happening with it!!

ARGHHHHHH!!!!

To everyone who helped, I really appreciate it. Thanks for taking up your time to help be with this ridiculous problem.

David_G17
08-10-2005, 08:29
...This has cost me a lot of frustration and time. I HATE norton with their obscure dumbed down references to everything. ...

+1

lomfs24
08-10-2005, 19:43
I was right. I FREAKING HATE NORTON PRODUCTS!!! IT WAS THE SO CALLED "INTERNET SECURITY!!!"

I am glad you found it. I would have never guessed it. Of course I don't use Norton Internet security.

Meman5150
08-11-2005, 00:05
haha what a shame, i suppose thats why I don't use any anti Hacker crap on this computer. No one is gettin in this thing. All depends on where you go on the internet:) and here you will get nothing bad...except perhaps a link..but oh well -Congrats