Wipe out hard drive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wipe out hard drive?

Berthold
08-08-2005, 21:35
I got a new computer and want to give away my old system, but don't want any info given away.

Is there any freeware that will wipe out any personal info while keeping the operating system intact?

Washington,D.C.
08-08-2005, 22:47
That will be very difficult while keeping the OS.You could download Feather Linux.Burn it to CD and install Linux while wiping Windows.Feather Linux is small as far as Linnux CD's go so if you have broadband it shouldn't take long.

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/featherlinux/feather-0.7.5.iso

When doing the hard disk install make a 128mb swap partition and use the XFS file system for the rest of the disk.For some reason Feather Linux will only install on an XFS file system.

The download is about 120mb.

Even if you fail to install Feather Linux to the hard drive the CD can still be used as a Linux OS,live from CD with a blank hard drive.

http://featherlinux.berlios.de/about.htm

Meman5150
08-08-2005, 23:28
I wouldn't trust that. A fellow friend of mine went so out of his way with his personal information that he took a drill and drilled holes in the harddrive. Is that overkill? Depends on what you have on the drive. A new hard drive isn't really that expensive if you get a lower ended one. Of course I'm sure you know you will need a rather big one if you plan on holding media files. I hope I have helped. I would keep the hard drive myself. Good luck

Berthold
08-09-2005, 12:43
I'll probably remove the drive and empty a mag into. Its an old (1998) computer.

Can sell off the memory or other parts anywhere?

Thanks for your help!

David_G17
08-09-2005, 13:11
Can sell off the memory or other parts anywhere?
it's doubtful.

maybe if you put an ad in the paper "computer for sale - no hard drive" you might be able to sell it. but don't plan on getting much.

you might be able to donate it to a children's shelter or women's shelter, etc.

Hailstorm
08-09-2005, 13:32
You know you can delete the pron file by themselves;)

fastvfr
08-09-2005, 15:54
You need the Ultimate Boot CD! (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/)

There is a utility called Autoclave that will sanitize a HDD very efficiently.

It takes awhile, but if you run it for 25 or more passes even the NSA cannot retrieve any ifo from the drive, according to the site...

I have also used it to salvage HDD's originally formatted while attached to nasty OEM machines and that refused to be fdisked or repartitioned when connected to a newer, better PC.

This CD also has about 50 other useful apps besides Autoclave.

Go nuts!

Meman5150
08-09-2005, 16:56
That CD sounds awesome, however I'm pretty sure the NSA could get anything they wanted out of the computer. I'm pretty they could crack everything microsoft if they wanted to, in a couple of minute. Some of those people are to bright.

frefoo
08-09-2005, 21:41
Originally posted by Meman5150
That CD sounds awesome, however I'm pretty sure the NSA could get anything they wanted out of the computer. I'm pretty they could crack everything microsoft if they wanted to, in a couple of minute. Some of those people are to bright.

If you wipe the data there is nothing for NSA to recover.

When I was in the military wiping the drive was approved for destroying classified data.

Thatís what drive wiping programs do. They are not dependent on the OS/Hard drive installed so they are able clean the drive so the data (including the OS) is not recoverable.

I am not sure if Ultimate Boot CD meets the DOD requirements, however I have used programs like that in the past to destroy classified data.

Meman5150
08-10-2005, 00:21
Yes, I am aware of what drive wiping programs do but it doesn't sound like you are familiar with NSA protocal. Keep in mind its...Security...and It's Americas best. And DOD, maybe you are right but surely they can recover things that have been deleted. I know this for a fact.

David_G17
08-10-2005, 08:07
Yes, I am aware of what drive wiping programs do but it doesn't sound like you are familiar with NSA protocal. Keep in mind its...Security...and It's Americas best. And DOD, maybe you are right but surely they can recover things that have been deleted. I know this for a fact.

yes, they can recover deleted files, but when files are re-written over the same place on the disk, the previous files can not be recoverd (well not without sonic-based technology, etc. which is why if done 25 times like mentioned above, even that becomes impossible).

it's not a question of how bright the NSA guys are, it's a question of physics. It becomes physically impossible to read a bit from a drive if it's been re-written to 25 times.

GTIMANiac
08-10-2005, 20:51
Google on BootNuke.

darin2
08-10-2005, 21:47
Try Secure Clean. They have a demo, that is fully functional for like 3 uses. It works in windows and over writes the deleted area of your hard drive, removes cookies and temp internet files, and will shred any file you ask it to. It also erases file slack. It does multiple hard drive overwrites.

http://www.whitecanyon.com/download-identity-theft-software.php

GTIMANiac
08-10-2005, 22:14
Originally posted by darin2
Try Secure Clean. They have a demo, that is fully functional for like 3 uses. It works in windows and over writes the deleted area of your hard drive, removes cookies and temp internet files, and will shred any file you ask it to. It also erases file slack. It does multiple hard drive overwrites.

http://www.whitecanyon.com/download-identity-theft-software.php

No reason in the world you should pay for something you can get for free. http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

Works great. I use it all the time. Right click your volume and choose erase unused space. It will DoD wipe all the unused space making it impossible to recover those files.

Meman5150
08-11-2005, 00:01
Originally posted by David_G17
yes, they can recover deleted files, but when files are re-written over the same place on the disk, the previous files can not be recoverd (well not without sonic-based technology, etc. which is why if done 25 times like mentioned above, even that becomes impossible).

it's not a question of how bright the NSA guys are, it's a question of physics. It becomes physically impossible to read a bit from a drive if it's been re-written to 25 times.
Yes I knew that too I just didn't type it out. So I'm figuring we are on the same page.

fatlander
08-11-2005, 11:41
besides a degausser there is no way to erase the info from the hard. its just a question of how much THEY need the info and willing to pay for it

GTIMANiac
08-11-2005, 12:06
Originally posted by fatlander
besides a degausser there is no way to erase the info from the hard. its just a question of how much THEY need the info and willing to pay for it

non-sense
I worked in IT for the DoD for years, and have been in IT for nearly 15 years. I suggest you do some research on the "DoD algorithm".

I have had to work with several forensic services for data analysis and recovery. A well executed DoD wipe will render forensenics useless.

On base we got to the point of just throwing them in the shredder. Though I am sure this is not what the original poster had in mind. ;Q

fatlander
08-11-2005, 13:16
non-sense
I worked in IT for the DoD for years, and have been in IT for nearly 15 years. I suggest you do some research on the "DoD algorithm".
dont start quoting dod regulations with me, the dod 5220 states that a secret information may be wiped with 7 repeating overwrites of the harddrive, but more classified information should be shreded or degaussed with an NSA/DOD approved degausser.

quote:
"US Department of Defense 5220.22-M Clearing and Sanitization Matrix

a. Degauss with a Type I degausser

b. Degauss with a Type II degausser.

c. Overwrite all addressable locations with a single character.

d. Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character and verify. THIS METHOD IS NOT APPROVED FOR SANITIZING MEDIA THAT CONTAINS TOP SECRET INFORMATION.

e. Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character.

f. Each overwrite must reside in memory for a period longer than the classified data resided.

g. Remove all power to include battery power."

glock_n_hood
08-11-2005, 17:02
Wipe or format the drive,then write all zeros to the drive,then,i f one were to use the hard drive for target practice or drill holes in the drive plates, take them out grind the sh** out of the plate surfaces,both sides.Use a torch to cut up remaining pieces,spray water on them so the rust.I would like to see any data extracted off of them after all that.I think it would be impossible to extract data IMO. Or can data still be found?

Meman5150
08-11-2005, 19:26
lol, we totally got off subject in the battle of wits.

frefoo
08-11-2005, 21:44

Deleting a file is not the same as wiping a drive. I am able to read hard drive contents using basic utilities including files that have been deleted.

When you wipe a drive you write zeros across the entire drive, then you write ones across the drive, then 255 (Hex FF) across the drive followed by random writes.

(or something like that)

The general idea is to make sure any data even deleted files (easy to recover) is overwritten by 0's 1's FF's etc

It is hard to recover data that does not exist.

Next time make sure you understand the difference between "wiping a drive" VS "deleting a file"

Thanks

Meman5150
08-11-2005, 23:42
Oh, wow your so smart ;Q

fatlander
08-11-2005, 23:45
The bottom line is unless your HD had the location of nucular subs on it you can freely use any of the programs the guys recommended,

cheers

Meman5150
08-11-2005, 23:46
And, once again you can you could just buy a new hard drive and keep that one for yourself and still use it.