Glock 22 or Glock 21 : which is better ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 or Glock 21 : which is better ?

GLOCKSTER2000
08-09-2005, 10:43
Hello, Filipinos! Can I have some of your advice based on your experiences with Glock pistols? I would like to have your opinions and inputs ?

What model of Glock would you recommed to me as a house gun and open carry, base on accuracy, reliability, durability, and stopping power ? Did you have any experiences of kabooms, malfunctions, or breachface failures with any of these two pistols ?

1) Glock 22 or Glock 21 ?

Eye Cutter
08-09-2005, 17:33
the G21 is just too big for my hands

mirko128
08-09-2005, 17:50
I have a Glock 21. I don't have experience with the Glock 22, though.

As Eye Cutter observes, some find the grip too large for their hands.

When I was doing research prior to my purchase, the large grip was a common feedback I've read.

Also, most of the info on KB's over the Internet *seem* to suggest that the 21 is more prone to it.

Both 21 and 22 were my top choices, it just so happened that the shop i bought the unit from had a sale and only the 21 was on stock.

I use reloaded FMJ's at the range and I'm learning now that I need to "gauge" the rounds first to avoid jams/FTF.

paltic
08-09-2005, 19:32
mirko,
you are using "reloaded" FMJ... sarili mo bang basyo ito (monitored use) or reloaded fmj offered by the target range...(no idea kung ilang beses na nagamit ang shell???

;P

bertud ng putik
08-09-2005, 19:49
how about glock 34 .45 G.A.P.?

revo
08-09-2005, 19:54
In keeping with spirit of Glockers everywhere, buy them both !

You can't have two wives, but you can have two (or more Glocks) !

royal glockster
08-10-2005, 08:18
Buy G30 instead, its good for carry and possesses a stopping power of 10 rounds of .45acp. Can even utilize the g21 mags, may also be used for IDPA competition. :cool:

Allegra
08-10-2005, 09:04
The 22 but if I were you , I'll stick with the 9mm if your here in the Phil.

mirko128
08-10-2005, 12:39
Originally posted by paltic
mirko,
you are using "reloaded" FMJ... sarili mo bang basyo ito (monitored use) or reloaded fmj offered by the target range...(no idea kung ilang beses na nagamit ang shell???

;P

I'm still using the shells from the break-in period when I bought factory Armscor rounds.

Di ko pa na try na bumili ng shell lang then reload, or gumamit nung once-fired reloaded na ng Armscor.

maomanila
08-10-2005, 21:37
Just bought a brand new G21 last month. Already fired off 300 rounds of Armscor FMJ; no jams so far. My carry for the past 8 years was a CZ75B, which is a dependable and accurate workhorse, but I am retiring it now. Got the G21 because of the 45 cal stopping power.

atmarcella
08-11-2005, 04:29
g22...i have one;f IMO the gun w/c fits your hand better is best:)

brawnless
08-11-2005, 05:45
Originally posted by Allegra
The 22 but if I were you , I'll stick with the 9mm if your here in the Phil.

why?

but... 22 or 21? there seems to be more choices for ammo for the 21 here in the phil.

GLOCKSTER2000
08-13-2005, 10:06
Originally posted by maomanila
Just bought a brand new G21 last month. Already fired off 300 rounds of Armscor FMJ; no jams so far. My carry for the past 8 years was a CZ75B, which is a dependable and accurate workhorse, but I am retiring it now. Got the G21 because of the 45 cal stopping power.

Sir, is your new G21 a 3rd Generation ( with rails for laser/flash light accessories, and finger groves ) ? If so, are you comfortable when you are firing your G21?

I've heard that a lot of us Filipinos, with average hand size, have difficulty handling G21 because of it's thickness ( 32.5 mm thick compared to G22 of 30 mm thickness ). In your case, I would like to know if you can handle the G21 comfortably.

I am also interested to buy G21 intead of the G22, but I would want to know your personal experience with this Glock model. Many thanks :)

doctabako
08-13-2005, 10:40
I could be wrong but doesn't the Glock 30 have the same girth as the g21 since it can accept the latter's magazines. That being the case, I have average size hands and I find that the glock 30's grip fits my hand very well. The gun is very easy to control in spite of the shorter barrel and the recoil impulse is a lot less compared to that of steel framed gun(as the polymer absorbs some of the shock). The finger grooves help a lot. The girth is only slightly larger than the grip of an STI 2011.

Mang Danny
08-13-2005, 10:57
Your location states that you are in "nj", is that New Jersey? Can you rent some glocks at a shooting range?

See what model is comfortable in your hands and base your decision on your evaluation. I personally plan to add a G17 to my stable someday.

GLOCKSTER2000
08-13-2005, 11:06
Originally posted by doctabako
I could be wrong but doesn't the Glock 30 have the same girth as the g21 since it can accept the latter's magazines. That being the case, I have average size hands and I find that the glock 30's grip fits my hand very well. The gun is very easy to control in spite of the shorter barrel and the recoil impulse is a lot less compared to that of steel framed gun(as the polymer absorbs some of the shock). The finger grooves help a lot. The girth is only slightly larger than the grip of an STI 2011.

Yes, G30 have the same width ( maybe the width of the slide ) as that of G21. The difference with this two Glock .45 is that the second generation of G21's do not have the rails for accessories and the finger groves. However,3rd gen.G21 do have the rails and finger groves.

G30 do have finger groves, whether they belong to 2nd or 3rd generation. So, I guess that since you are comfortable with your G30, I think the finger groves on the 3rd generation G21 do provide comfortable handling of G21,especially for us Filipinos with average hand size, provided they are of 3rd gen.

SMSTRICK
08-13-2005, 11:53
I have always preferred the 230 gr 45 ACP as a defensive round,...but I carry either a Glock 22 or Glock 23 in 40 S&W, loaded with 165 gr Speer Gold Dots. The Glock 40 cal pistols fit my hands far better than the 45's. The 22 and 23 are also much easier to conceal comfortably. I also love the capacity. I do have a G 30 which has a Robarized grip, and when I do carry a 45, I carry my G 30. My G 21 stays put up most of the time.

maomanila
08-14-2005, 18:34
GLOCKSTER2000,

My G21 is 3rd gen.
It is true that the grips of the Glock system are thicker than most handguns. But it is just a matter of getting used to it. For many years, my carry was a Colt Government Model .45, which is single-stacked, as you well know. Then I shifted to a CZ75B. Compared to the Colts, a CZ has a thicker grip. It felt a bit odd at the beginning. But after a few sessions at the range, and dry-practicing it at home as I watched tv, my CZ became a natural extension of my hand (which should be the ideal case).
My new G21 is just barely a month with me, and I am now getting the hang of handling it: the grip, sights, recoil, etc. In another month's time, I am sure I will be comfortably at home with this wonderful gun.

cebuboy
08-15-2005, 04:39
both are good choices, cant go wrong with both:) if you can, why not get both. kidding aside, my g21 had a case failure. spat out the mag and burned my trigger finger a little. no damage to the gun, the mag does not look as good but is still working. my friends g23 is not as lucky, his barrel split. to answer your question, the g21 seems to be the tougher gun.

GLOCKSTER2000
08-15-2005, 10:05
Originally posted by cebuboy
both are good choices, cant go wrong with both:) if you can, why not get both. kidding aside, my g21 had a case failure. spat out the mag and burned my trigger finger a little. no damage to the gun, the mag does not look as good but is still working. my friends g23 is not as lucky, his barrel split. to answer your question, the g21 seems to be the tougher gun.

Were you and your friend using lead, or reloaded ammo when those split case ( with your G21 ) and split barrel ( G23 )happened?

cebuboy
08-16-2005, 04:03
yes we used lead, but lead was not the cause. both guns were clean and have not reached 100 rounds. an inspection of the barrel shows that the bore are still clean. my g21 makes a glock smile on the spent shells it fires, even on brand new armscor fmj(the g21 has less chamber support). i just got careless and used old brass, which gave way. the g23 on the other hand was probably split up by a heavy bullet combined with fast burning powder(careless with reloads). and by the way, the g34 dont seem to have any problems with lead reloads.

paltic
08-16-2005, 07:50
ayun po sana ang point ko kaya ko ask before kung naka FMJ ka nga pero kung old/un-monitored ang use ng shell...delikadado din po;P

cebuboy
08-16-2005, 08:12
usually, .45 shells are used till they crack at the mouth:) but with the large unsupported chamber of the glock barrel... it just gave way there. made the glock smile go away with an aftermarket barrel. even with old brass(the ones that blew on the stock bbl).

bulm540
08-16-2005, 16:51
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
the G21 is just too big for my hands
Ditto, I had one. got rid of it and bought a 22.

Alexii
08-16-2005, 21:44
When I first shot my G30, it felt as if I'm going to lose control of the gun in strings of fire. Turns out to be extremely controllable with practice.

I guess like any other endeavours, sanayan at practice lang ang katapat.;)