Wide Benches [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wide Benches

Glock13
08-09-2005, 20:41
I moved from Madison,WI to Omaha,NE about a year ago. I used to work out at a YMCA which wasn't superb, but did the job. I now work out at a 24 Hour Fitness. Here's my gripe. It's a great place, but all of the benches are very narrow and very low. I end up on my toes when I bench because they are low and I spend as much energy balancing myself as lifting because they are so narrow. When I left Madison my bench was at 330. Now, it's about 320-325. It totally throws me out of my comfort zone on the bench.

So, does anybody else go to a gym where all the benches are narrow? Also, has anyone requested a wide bench and gotten one put in their gym (especially those who work out at a 24 Hour Fitness). And...does anyone else here hate narrow benches as much as I do?

feetpiece
08-09-2005, 21:17
While I agree, I hate narrow benches as well I have to admit I avoid the bench altogether. Not having a partner really limits me to being comfortable so I stick with either dumbbells (flat) or Smith (incline/decline).

The only narrow benches I've used were cheapo weider/Sears/Wal-Mart knock offs. I was less concerned with the width than I was the durability.

Glock13
08-12-2005, 22:16
Nobody else here hates narrow benches??? Somebody else here has to share our pain!!!!

jspm
08-13-2005, 19:38
I've never seen a gym buy equipment it does not have unless a lot of people complain. So you'll need to get other like minded people to en masse gripe. In the mean time, how often are you maxing? If your max is in the 330 range, you should not be going that heavy more than once every eight weeks or so as part of a progressive strength routine that is cyclical, so if you break it back down and go for lighter weigth and higher reps for a while, coupled with complaints about the lowsy benches, by the time you cylcle back up to heavy weights and low reps and finally a max attempt, maybe you'll have your bench.

Glock13
08-14-2005, 17:28
I max out maybe every 8-10 weeks. I usually go up to 275-285 on a normal chest day. It just sucks doing even normal sets knowing the bench is holding you back.

jspm
08-14-2005, 20:44
Do you know what brand of bench it is? How far apart are the uprights? You may be able to ask them to remove the platform and screw in a wider one.

Glock13
08-14-2005, 21:30
Originally posted by jspm
Do you know what brand of bench it is? How far apart are the uprights? You may be able to ask them to remove the platform and screw in a wider one.

That's a good point. It would still be low, but at least it would be wide. Maybe I'll try to push for that.

jspm
08-15-2005, 19:17
By the way, watch out for Smith machines. You are better off just going lighter and doing more reps or doing dumbells than using a Smith machine. They have a tendency to lock you in to a certain range of motion, which may or may not be within you power arc, so you can end up injuring yourself. Just keep that in the back of your mind. I've been lifting for 24 years, and I have lots of experience with injuries:cool:

Glock13
08-16-2005, 22:16
The only thing I really use the Smith machine for is shrugs.