More on my VPN issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More on my VPN issue

gwalchmai
08-10-2005, 09:18
Here's a little more detail about this "Error 721" problem I'm having with our VPN connection.

Host:
DC1 on BellSouth T1 - Win2000 Server running RRAS with 5 PPTP tunnels. BellSouth T1 behind SMC firewall (or MultiTech firewall) confured to pass TPC 1723 to DC1

Users:
Steve: (notebook) WinXp Pro on BellSouth DSL- connects fine, can map and use all network resources.
Steve: (desktop) WinXp Home on BellSouth DSL- connects fine, can map and use all network resources.

GA home offices:
Laura: WinXp Home on BellSouth DSL - connects fine one time early morning, can map and use all network resources. After disconnecting she can't connect again until next day. All subsequent attempts fail with Error 721.

I sent a notebook running Win2000 Pro home with Laura and it connects perfectly.

John: WinXp Home on BellSouth DSL - connects fine, can map and use all network resources.

Freddy: WinXp Pro on BellSouth DSL - All attempts fail with Error 721.

TX office:
Matt, Keith, and Paul: WinXp Pro: Occasionally can connect once in morning. All subsequent attempts fail with Error 721
Server: Win2000 Pro: Connects fine every time, can map and use all network resources.

All client PCs are configured the same (verified). All client PCs could connect fine to NT4, SP6 server running similarly configured RRAS at our old office.

Possibilities:

T1 issues - BellSouth has run extensive tests on our T1 and found no problems. We also have no problems running other apps over the T1 (browsing and email, remote access to other sites, FTP and web hosting).

DSL problems - I have asked the users to have their DSL lines tested, but the fact that Win2K machines connect OK indicates the probllem is not with connectivity.

Xp - Well, yeah, but what? And why only in some cases and not all?

Blazen
08-10-2005, 16:51
Is the firwall turned off? I am sure it is, just thought I would ask. SP2 loaded on the XP boxes?

Can those clients telnet to port 1723 after they get the error? I don't know of a way to test port 47 or GRE.

Do all of the clients have the lastest firmware on their routers/modems? I have seen this be an issue before.

;c

gwalchmai
08-10-2005, 17:21
Originally posted by Blazen
Is the firwall turned off? I am sure it is, just thought I would ask. SP2 loaded on the XP boxes?

Can those clients telnet to port 1723 after they get the error? I don't know of a way to test port 47 or GRE.

Do all of the clients have the lastest firmware on their routers/modems? I have seen this be an issue before.

;c Firewall on/off on the clients or client VPN connection. No effect (good or bad).

Telnet 1723 and GRE OK.

I'll check on firmware, but remember Win2K machines work fine.

Good suggestions, though, thanks. ;)

Clyde
08-12-2005, 14:29
What brand DSL Modems at each site? (I am assuming they are not the same). Is the Modem setup to pass all traffic to the Router behind it? That way you can double check the ports.

RRAS - DHCP do you have enough Ip's Avil. (Lease Times ?)

Sounds like all users have been able to log in Via the VPN - so they have DailUp Access. (Assuming on Freddy)

GA - DHCP

Freddy - Modem settings, then router

TX: Da Boys -- IP - DHCP
Server - Never looses IP always good

-------
Just thoughts - sounds like IP's avil to early birds