HELP! Windows Media Player automatically starts up when computer is turned on [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Windows Media Player automatically starts up when computer is turned on

Sky Pirate 7
08-10-2005, 11:26
I don't understand why. A few people said it was spyware or trojan related but I don't know how to fix it. I posted my hijack this logs on the spyware forums and they tried to help but nothing they told me to do solved it. ;g

Anyone have any ideas?

Furant
08-10-2005, 11:57
Have you looked through the entries in your MSConfig tool (Start>Run>msconfig)? I would start there to make sure there's nothing in the startup tab that explicitly calls the mediaplayer. You may also want to check the Startup folder in your start menu.

When it starts up, is it playing any particular media file, or is it just launching the application?

Sky Pirate 7
08-16-2005, 15:26
It is just launching the application. No particular file, just the program pops up.

What is it I should do with the MSConfig, and how?

Thanks for the help. This is an extremely annoying problem that Microsoft doesn't seem to have a solution to.

Here's the startup items in MSConfig:

mobsync.exe
ati2mdxx.exe
syntplpr.exe
syntpenh.exe
pctspk.exe
pelmiced.exe
directcd.exe
hpgs2wnd.exe
qttask.exe
avgcc.exe
avgemc.exe
atiptaxx.exe
gcasserve.exe
ctfmon.exe

That's it.

Furant
08-17-2005, 06:58
Okay. All of those processes are innocuous enough (although I really hate qttask and directcd).

I'll assume that you looked in the Startup folder in your Start Menu and didn't find anything. If there is an entry in there calling up your media player, I would move it into a different menu folder and try to restart the system.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I am sure some of the full-time nerds here would have some better ideas around the ini files and startup options to help diagnose the problem.

Lotsa luck,
Joey

BTW, you did everything with MSConfig that I would do (basically just listing the startup items). Checking and unchecking items in there may be good for diagnosing a problem, but it always gives me more grief than doing the work directly in the registry.

David_G17
08-17-2005, 08:43
what version of media player are you using?

(click help -> about)

Sky Pirate 7
08-17-2005, 16:18
Startup folder in start menu is empty.

Windows Media Player version 10.00.00.3646

I used to have Windows Media Player version 9 and when I upgraded to version 10, that's when I started having the startup problems. I then "unupgraded" back to Windows Media Player 9 but then Windows Media Player 9 was also launching at system startup too. I went back and forth between version 9 and 10 multiple times trying to fix the problem, forcibly deleting Windows Media Player and going into the registry but nothing worked. I ran spyware checks and posted my adaware logs on a couple of the spyware forums but they couldn't find anything that would be a problem.

Washington,D.C.
08-17-2005, 18:33
Here's the current version

http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Media_Player_d4340.html

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b446ae53-3759-40cf-80d5-cde4bbe07999&displaylang=en

Washington,D.C.
08-17-2005, 18:37
Best spyware/trojan scanner

http://www.ewido.net/en/

Sky Pirate 7
08-21-2005, 17:22
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I downloaded Eidos, and it's a pretty cool anti-spyware program but it wasn't able to fix the problem. So then I used Microsoft Antispyware and went into advanced tools, system explorers, startup programs. Although not listed as a startup program, it WAS listed in some kind of system registry option. Really wierd. So anyway, I blocked it from startup, restarted my computer, and Windows Media Player didn't start up automatically anymore. I restarted again, and same thing. So I think I can say I have solved the problem!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Washington,D.C.
08-21-2005, 17:52
This one also works well too but only after you let it run once,then download the updates and run it again.It finds other things.Many sneaky things in your PC.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/Disspy-Lite/3000-8022_2-10389610.html