Help!!! My computer "clicks" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! My computer "clicks"

c10bonanza
08-10-2005, 18:05
Help this technology ignorant glocker out.

My computer just now started to make a "clicking" noise everytime I left click on a link. If I use the back or forward keys on webpages it does the same. What gives, and more importantly how do I TURN IT OFF?!?!?!

funbob
08-10-2005, 18:10
Are you using IE? Go to your sound control panel and under the windows explorer section, change the soudns to none. Or just turn off your UI sounds entirely if you don't want them.

c10bonanza
08-10-2005, 18:13
Hmm not sure what IE is.

I went to my volume controls and here is what is listed:

Volume Control
Wave
SW Synth
CD Audio
PC Speaker

Which do I change to get rid of the clicks, but still have functional audio?

Thanks!!

c10bonanza
08-10-2005, 18:19
Hmm...IE=Internet Explorer. Then yes I am

DeadMansLife
08-10-2005, 18:19
IE=Internet Explorer

c10bonanza
08-10-2005, 18:20
Originally posted by DeadMansLife
IE=Internet Explorer

Yes just figured that out...but where do I go in IE to turn it off??

Anon1
08-10-2005, 18:35
Start Button>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds&Multimedia>Down to the Windows Navigator section > Start Navigation and set that one FROM start.wav to TO none.

Egyas
08-10-2005, 18:37
<smartass remark> Or, just download and install a REAL browser, like Firefox! lol ;) </smartass remark>

c10bonanza
08-10-2005, 18:40
Originally posted by Anon1
Start Button>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds&Multimedia>Down to the Windows Navigator section > Start Navigation and set that one FROM start.wav to TO none.

Thank you so much! I feel like a techie now! :)

You are all gentlemen and scholars!

c10bonanza
08-10-2005, 18:41
Originally posted by Egyas
<smartass remark> Or, just download and install a REAL browser, like Firefox! lol ;) </smartass remark>

What exactly is Firefox, and why is it so much better. This has probably been thoroughly discussed, but this is the first time for me in the Tech forum.

08-10-2005, 20:01
Firefox is a web browser with pretty much the same look as IE. It has some extra features that IE doesnt and you can check the Mozilla web site for details. I think if you polled everyone here 60% would say they love Firefox, 30% would say IE is fine stop all your crying and the last 10% use something entirely different.

Its personal preference, i myself prefer Firefox. I also find it easier to use and configure to give me the best surfing experience while also keeping my PC safe.

Andy

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

there is some info about it at the link above.

Egyas
08-10-2005, 22:19
The biggest reason I use Firefox is also one of its drawbacks. It doesn't do active X. To me, this is a godsend, because it stops all sorts of website craziness. But at work I have 2 websites I MUST use IE for, because the brainiacs that wrote them infused them with ActiveX controls. :(

Meman5150
08-11-2005, 23:56
another thing to mention is the fact that it isn't a virus magnet and yes that has to do with the activeX controls and build in pop-up blocker and tons of other stuff. Whenever I feel the need to reformat my drive the browser is always the first thing I download. But all in all its just a better browser.

chevrofreak
08-21-2005, 16:49
Originally posted by Egyas

FireFox is garbage

Molz
08-21-2005, 20:30
Originally posted by chevrofreak
FireFox is garbage Never say anything about their precious like that! They'll be out in droves now!

Egyas
08-22-2005, 05:51
FireFox is garbage

Obviously I disagree. Everyone has their opinion. But I am curious. Why do you think it's garbage?

chevrofreak
08-22-2005, 13:22
Its slow. Slow to load, and its slow to maximize if its been minimized for a while. I have a gig of RAM, it doesnt need to cache the open pages to the HD then reload them when I maximize, but it does anyway.

Other than that I suppose its an acceptable browser.

Egyas
08-22-2005, 13:49
Its slow. Slow to load, and its slow to maximize if its been minimized for a while. I have a gig of RAM, it doesnt need to cache the open pages to the HD then reload them when I maximize, but it does anyway.

Other than that I suppose its an acceptable browser.

Wierd. I have none of those problems. As to the caching issue, IIRC that can be turned off. Just type about:config in the URL bar. It gives you a list of every single option for FireFox and they are user-editable. Let's see IE do that!

Also, if you type about:cache it will display a summary of both your memory and file cache, with a link to full file listings.

Washington,D.C.
08-22-2005, 14:01
I tried Firefox and Opera on some older PC's.Firefox requires at least 64MB of RAM or it won't even install.Opera requires 16MB.One browser I found fast and light is K-Meloen.It's based on Mozilla stripped down.It appears development has stopped on it,so it may not have all of the latest security updates but it should be more secure than Internet Explorer.

http://majorgeeks.com/K-Meleon_d555.html