help with tagalog language [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help with tagalog language


Onmilo
08-11-2005, 11:12
To the Filipino folks I ask for help in gaining a basic knowledge of the tagalog language.
What or how does one say hello or greetings in tagalog?
How does one ask 'what is your given or first name in tagalog?, I prefer to use the first name when addressing someone as opposed to using their screen name.
How does one say 'I wish you well' or 'catch you next time' in tagalog?
Is their an actual phrase book or english to tagalog book available anywhere because I am having no luck in finding one.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

doctabako
08-11-2005, 12:35
I'll just get down to give you the translations of the words/phrases you mentioned.

Hello - Kamusta ( which actually means, how are you?, but that's the greeting :))

I wish you well - "Sana ay nasa mabuti kang kalagayan"

Catch you next time - "Hanggang sa muli"
- "Kita kita na lang sa susunod"
- "Kita kits" (slang)

What's your name - "Anong pangalan mo ?" Usually referring to the first name as in asking for the last name, you say "Anong apelyido mo?"



There are lots of phrase books and dictionaries in local bookstores but the other members can probably give you the links to any phrase books or dictionaries on the net. Hope that helped. :)

Booker3557
08-11-2005, 13:27
Originally posted by doctabako
I'll just get down to give you the translations of the words/phrases you mentioned.

Hello - Kamusta ( which actually means, how are you?, but that's the greeting :))

I wish you well - "Sana ay nasa mabuti kang kalagayan"

Catch you next time - "Hanggang sa muli"
- "Kita kita na lang sa susunod"
- "Kita kits" (slang)

What's your name - "Anong pangalan mo ?" Usually referring to the first name as in asking for the last name, you say "Anong apelyido mo?"



There are lots of phrase books and dictionaries in local bookstores but the other members can probably give you the links to any phrase books or dictionaries on the net. Hope that helped. :)

+ 1 on what Doc said.

PMMA97
08-11-2005, 15:08
Here is an online site from the Northern Illinois University. It even has an online translator.

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/Tagalog_mainpage.htm

HTH :)

riddler
08-11-2005, 15:28
Originally posted by doctabako
Hello - Kamusta ( which actually means, how are you?, but that's the greeting :))

It is not "Kamusta" but Kumusta, which is the same greetings most spanish-speaking individuals use in saying Hi! to each other.

horge
08-11-2005, 16:58
originally posted by riddler
It is not "Kamusta" but Kumusta, which is the same greetings most spanish-speaking individuals use in saying Hi! to each other.
Actually... :)
Despite arbitrary efforts of dictionary compilers to pin it down,
the salutary is intechangeably spelled 'Kamusta?' or 'Kumusta?',
This is because it is often pronounced with an extremely clipped, and therefore indistinct, first vowel:

k'mustah
The derivation is from the Romance/Spanish '?Como estas?' - (How are you?)

Spelling has always been the bugbear of codifying Tagalog and other
Philippine languages --our earliest syllabaries (quasi-alphabets) used
different rules and sounds: eliminating the last syllable in
writing; 'D' and 'R' being interchangeable in both script and speech; etc....

----
It is sometimes more polite to address someone in the third person plural,
a Latin and Malay conceit. The deferential "po" is more often included.
Examples, with word-for-word transposition:

-"Ano po ang pangalan nila?"
-(What sir/ma'am is name theirs?)

-"Saan po sila nakatira"
-(Where sir/ma'am they are-residing?)

as opposed to the more direct:

-"Ano ang pangalan mo?"
-(What is name yours?)

-"Saan ka nakatira?"
-(Where you are-residing?)

...
Mabuhay,
:)
hth

revo
08-11-2005, 18:16
Must...stop..the..urge..to teach bad words..

Must ...stop...

Must...stopppp....

lol

lazyjohn
08-11-2005, 19:57
Originally posted by Onmilo
To the Filipino folks I ask for help in gaining a basic knowledge of the tagalog language.
What or how does one say hello or greetings in tagalog?

MAGKANO BAYAD MAGDAMAG?

How does one ask 'what is your given or first name in tagalog?, I prefer to use the first name when addressing someone as opposed to using their screen name.

GUSTO MO MAG "ANO" TAYO?

How does one say 'I wish you well' or 'catch you next time' in tagalog?

SIGE, IKAW SA IBABAW.

trozau
08-11-2005, 20:14
You'll get yourself banned for postings like this. ;T
Originally posted by lazyjohn
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the Filipino folks I ask for help in gaining a basic knowledge of the tagalog language.
What or how does one say hello or greetings in tagalog?

MAGKANO BAYAD MAGDAMAG?

How does one ask 'what is your given or first name in tagalog?, I prefer to use the first name when addressing someone as opposed to using their screen name.

GUSTO MO MAG "ANO" TAYO?

How does one say 'I wish you well' or 'catch you next time' in tagalog?

SIGE, IKAW SA IBABAW.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie C.
08-11-2005, 20:28
Originally posted by lazyjohn

Originally posted by Onmilo
To the Filipino folks I ask for help in gaining a basic knowledge of the tagalog language.
What or how does one say hello or greetings in tagalog?

MAGKANO BAYAD MAGDAMAG?

How does one ask 'what is your given or first name in tagalog?, I prefer to use the first name when addressing someone as opposed to using their screen name.

GUSTO MO MAG "ANO" TAYO?

How does one say 'I wish you well' or 'catch you next time' in tagalog?

SIGE, IKAW SA IBABAW.




lazyjohn, please go over the sticky Eric posted at the top of this forum. If you last here, it'll come in handy.

Thank you,
Eddie C.

darwin25
08-11-2005, 20:51
Originally posted by doctabako
I'll just get down to give you the translations of the words/phrases you mentioned.

Hello - Kamusta ( which actually means, how are you?, but that's the greeting :))

I wish you well - "Sana ay nasa mabuti kang kalagayan"

Catch you next time - "Hanggang sa muli"
- "Kita kita na lang sa susunod"
- "Kita kits" (slang)

What's your name - "Anong pangalan mo ?" Usually referring to the first name as in asking for the last name, you say "Anong apelyido mo?"



There are lots of phrase books and dictionaries in local bookstores but the other members can probably give you the links to any phrase books or dictionaries on the net. Hope that helped. :)

HELLO - Kamusta (kumusta)- Tagalog adaptation of Como esta

Much of spanish terms has tagalog adaptations. Pronounciations and spelling are a little bit different. "Tagalized" as we say it here. So if you know a little spanish, that will surely help.

doctabako
08-11-2005, 22:30
Originally posted by horge


----
It is sometimes more polite to address someone in the third person plural,
a Latin and Malay conceit. The deferential "po" is more often included.
Examples, with word-for-word transposition:

-"Ano po ang pangalan nila?"
-(What sir/ma'am is name theirs?)

-"Saan po sila nakatira"
-(Where sir/ma'am they are-residing?)

as opposed to the more direct:

-"Ano ang pangalan mo?"
-(What is name yours?)

-"Saan ka nakatira?"
-(Where you are-residing?)

...
Mabuhay,
:)
hth

Specially in speaking to elders or persons in authority, the alternative "ho" can also be used.

Even though you could, I would advise against using the "po/ho" if you are trying to get to know a beautiful young woman, as doing so would tend to give the impression that you think she's older than you.:)
You could instead just lower your tone and say "Kamusta,ako si ..(your name), anong pangalan mo? :)

vega
08-12-2005, 08:35
Originally posted by doctabako
Specially in speaking to elders or persons in authority, the alternative "ho" can also be used.

I remember this was taught in Tagalog subject neons ago, "PO" is use on a elderly person and "HO" is use on a horse.;)

vega

doctabako
08-12-2005, 08:55
Originally posted by vega
I remember this was taught in Tagalog subject neons ago, "PO" is use on a elderly person and "HO" is use on a horse.;)

vega

Hahaha! ;f were you really taught that? ;f

Alexii
08-12-2005, 08:55
Originally posted by vega
I remember this was taught in Tagalog subject neons ago, "PO" is use on a elderly person and "HO" is use on a horse.;)

Same here. We were encouraged to use "PO" rather than "HO" for some vague reason. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with either.

doctabako
08-12-2005, 09:01
Originally posted by Alexii
Same here. We were encouraged to use "PO" rather than "HO" for some vague reason. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with either.

I don't remember being taught that in my school :) truth be told, here in Batangas, "ho" is used more often than "po". Maybe its because we have a lot of horses here ;f ;f ;f

vega
08-12-2005, 09:02
Originally posted by doctabako
Hahaha! ;f were you really taught that? ;f
Yes we were, I can't remember the book. It was not "Diwang Kayumangi".

vega

doctabako
08-12-2005, 09:12
Originally posted by vega
Yes we were, I can't remember the book. It was not "Diwang Kayumangi".

vega

Okay, you really learn something new everyday. Must have slept through that one :) Thanks

Booker3557
08-12-2005, 09:28
Originally posted by Alexii
Same here. We were encouraged to use "PO" rather than "HO" for some vague reason. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with either.

Where I'm from, a "HO" is a person who gets paid for giving horizontal refreshment or whatever position you like.

Mang Danny
08-12-2005, 09:54
Diwang Kayumangi??? Huh, must be a new book! I remember Katon y Kartilla. ;f

horge
08-12-2005, 15:39
Originally posted by Booker3557
Where I'm from, a "HO" is a person who gets paid for giving horizontal refreshment or whatever position you like.

Hello Booker3557!

I believe your slang "ho" would be pronounced as in 'hoe'
The Tagalog 'Ho' has the same vowel-sound as the first 'o' in 'coronary'.
That said, this thread has already too much sexual content as is.

Cheers,
horge

soflasmg
08-12-2005, 16:13
I noticed lots of "hoes" in the lobby of the Shangrila in Manila last time I was there.

trozau
08-12-2005, 16:18
I use 'PO' when addressing the elderly and older close family friends and family relations. I use 'HO' when addressing older acquaintance and strangers.

vega
08-12-2005, 17:20
Originally posted by trozau
I use 'PO' when addressing the elderly and older close family friends and family relations. I use 'HO' when addressing older acquaintance and strangers.
So I can say that "PO" is a friend of ours and "HO" is a friend of mine.;)

vega

trozau
08-13-2005, 08:09
Juvenile responses to this thread can only get it locked. ;T

mikol
08-13-2005, 08:37
Originally posted by vega
I remember this was taught in Tagalog subject neons ago, "PO" is use on a elderly person and "HO" is use on a horse.;)

vega
sir vega, actually it's "ho.ho.." for horses. but if yuo'll say it more than 2times you'll have to give gifts to everyone 'coz it will be christmas time then!! ;f ;)

vega
08-13-2005, 19:57
Originally posted by trozau
Juvenile responses to this thread can only get it locked. ;T Having a little joke is different from juvenile responses. Guess you didn't get the joke or never read/heard La Cosa Nostra. Besides there was a smiley.;Q

vega

trozau
08-13-2005, 21:02
Originally posted by vega
Having a little joke is different from juvenile responses. Guess you didn't get the joke or never read/heard La Cosa Nostra. Besides there was a smiley.;Q

vega
What made you think I was referring to your post? ^8 FWIW, I did see your smiley. ;)

edited to add: Yes, I am referring to your post this time as I quoted you! ;)

vega
08-14-2005, 18:50
Ooopppppssssss. Jump the band wagon too soon. I thought you were...
Sorry about that. Here's another smiley for you.:cool:

vega

asintaderoche
08-14-2005, 20:46
Internet forums is a nice place to practice your skill, but the best way to learn is to get a dictionary or visit a library.

mikey177
08-14-2005, 21:34
Originally posted by asintaderoche
Internet forums is a nice place to practice your skill, but the best way to learn is to get a dictionary or visit a library.

Another effective way to learn is to regularly converse with a friend who knows the language. I've been in Region 1 for over a year, I've got a dictionary, I even listen to Ilocano AM radio broadcasts, but I stil can't speak in Ilocano because I have no Ilocano friends to talk to ;1

revo
08-16-2005, 17:42
The best way to learn Tagalog is to have a Filipina girlfriend.

Of course, that approach is not without its own risks.

bwahaha