castrol motor oil for guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : castrol motor oil for guns?

bertud ng putik
08-12-2005, 00:24
pede ba ito? for lube purposes lang, lets say sa frame rails and slide only. im using castrol magnatec w/molecular attraction sa engine ko.

maaring matawa kayo, pero nagtatanong lang po.;)

SMBeerDealer
08-12-2005, 00:38
Not at all. Hi temperature motor oil is ideal for these moving parts. They don't drip out easily. Some guys here use Mobil 1. I use Shell Helix Ultra. A lot cheaper too. ;f

Eye Cutter
08-12-2005, 00:52
i've been using Mobil 1 ever since i ran out of breakfree several years ago.

bertud ng putik
08-12-2005, 00:52
ano kaibahan ng helix ultra, mobil 1 sa castrol magnatec? my magnatec is a semi- synthetic oil, while helix ultra and mobil 1 are fully syn.

so what you mean is, pede fully synthetic for lube purpose sa gun?

Eye Cutter
08-12-2005, 00:53
pedeng pede

bertud ng putik
08-12-2005, 00:55
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
pedeng pede

castrol magnatec pede rin ba?

Dok
08-12-2005, 00:59
i have been using my own version of "red oil"

1 part 10W motor oil
1 part automatic transmission fluid
1 part 'STP' motor oil treatment

its good so far, displaces moisture

toxic
08-13-2005, 07:32
What i dont like about engine oil is its smell lalu na pag naginit yung boomer and i find it difficult to clean after each shooting session mas madumi/maitim yung slide rail(probably its the powder)
I remember when i was away for 6 months the engine oil i used to lube my pistols turned into gum its a pain in the butt sa pag-kutkot.Dont know perhaps luma yung oil na nagamit ko.

revo
08-13-2005, 09:04
Hindi land pedeng pede - oks na oks pa.

Nano Cacho III
09-11-2005, 08:44
Originally posted by toxic
What i dont like about engine oil is its smell lalu na pag naginit yung boomer and i find it difficult to clean after each shooting session mas madumi/maitim yung slide rail(probably its the powder)
I remember when i was away for 6 months the engine oil i used to lube my pistols turned into gum its a pain in the butt sa pag-kutkot.Dont know perhaps luma yung oil na nagamit ko.

Oils in general tend to leak out. They can also be absorbed by the foam on gun cases and bags. Not good for Blued guns. Your best bet is Super lube. Its Teflon grease and comes in a wd40 type penetrating spray. Teflon is the slipperiest substance known to man, and the grease is not likely to run or dry. Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Nano

horge
09-11-2005, 17:49
Originally posted by Nano Cacho III
Oils in general tend to leak out. They can also be absorbed by the foam on gun cases and bags. Not good for Blued guns. Your best bet is Super lube. Its Teflon grease and comes in a wd40 type penetrating spray. Teflon is the slipperiest substance known to man, and the grease is not likely to run or dry. Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Nano

Hi! :)

Just a few things to point out:

Yes, oils run --that is a desirable trait in that they are not permanently displaced by mechanical movement/contact. Oils can flow back into critical contact areas to restore lubrication.

Often, greases are applied to enclosed areas (like gearboxes, etc.). This neutralizes physical displacement, since there is physical retention of the lubricant. Enclosure offers the added benefit of keeping mechanically-retarding debris from becoming trapped in the grese.

Generally, teflon lubes operate on the principle of teflon particles suspended in a fluid vehicle. The problem is that while the vehicle itself may run/flow back into contact areas, the suspended teflon is often permanently displaced, collecting in non-critical nooks and crannies. This is a documented 'Achilles Heel' of all those old PET/Teflon formulations.

A penetrating vehicle such as you describe can add the risk of unintentionally breaching primer seals and contaminating cartridge propellant, with unpredictable results.

Then again, maybe the product you're recommending has properties outside these generalizations.
:)

Again generally:
Fully synthetic oils don't breakdown at very high temps, or glomm up at low temps. Granted, this is not really an issue for us shooters here in the warmth of the tropics. But anyway, this is why synthetics are 'thinner'(malabnaw) compared to petroleum-based lubes. The latter have to start out a little thick, because heat from mechanical action thins/melts them down.

The real (petty, haha) advantage to full-synth motor oil for me is olfactory:
A petroleum-based lube tends to stink.

For me, among the synths, mas mabango yung Shell Helix Ultra than Castrol or Mobil-1. My late uncle posted on this some years back, on a now-deleted thread: Mas hiyang haluan ang Shell ng sampaguita essential oil or rose oil, for a nice-smelling gun (good-shot pa ako sa Mrs.) Never yet had a problem with oil saturation harming a blued finish, though some essential oils (orange, banana, etc.) are industrial finish-strippers and perhaps should be avoided.

horge

maomanila
09-11-2005, 18:30
I bought 1 litre of Mobil-1 for about P700, for lube use for my small arsenal of handguns. I realize now, that baka sampung taon na, hindi pa ubos yung isang litro.

Eye Cutter
09-11-2005, 18:57
yung stock ko ng mobil 1 since 2000 pa, hindi maubos-ubos, pinamimigay ko na sa range, nadadagdagan pa everytime magpa-change oil ako ng mga kotse.

horge's late uncle peps even did a head-to-head comparison between shell helix, mobil 1 and several other lubes.

if anybody wants to try out mobil 1, madami pa stock sa PB range, meron pa ako iniwanan mga empty eye drop containers. just ask from edgar or cute.

i have samples of militec grease and brian enos' slide glide. its good for loose top ends and really softens the recoil perception but it sure is messy!

eclipse1
09-11-2005, 23:37
on the other side of the coin, pede ba na gamitin ang militech gun oil in exchange for motor oil sa kotse? ~ts

mikey177
09-12-2005, 00:03
How do you guys apply the motor oil to your gun's metal parts? Do you use a dropper, cotton buds, or something else?

I'm asking because the labels on some motor oil containers mention that prolonged contact between used motor oil and skin can increase the risk of skin cancer. Anyone care to comment on this?

horge
09-12-2005, 03:01
Eclipse,
TV Shopping Channels are rife with just what you're describing:
metal-treatment agents for automotive engine parts, albeit as
additives to engine oil. One of the ads does trot out an engine
running without oil --just the metal treatment, hehe...

Mikey,
Patak-patak, buhos o pahid (drop-by-drop, pour or wipe), no biggie :)
Ako, dispenser ng Visine eyedrops works okay.
Mas maganda pa nga yung mga Alcon na eyedrop containers ni Alvin.
Better-sealing yung cap, eh.

Cancer risk?
All petroleum products are carcinogenic, but the more refined
the product, the less so. Most synthetics aren't carcinogenic.
Burnt (used) engine oil contains tars and whatnot that aren't
too different from what refineries REMOVE from crude-oil byproduct
to make lubes. Guns almost never get hot enough, long enough
to really degrade engine oil into carcinogeny... not like a
running car engine will. Not an issue, I think.

h.

jundeleon
09-12-2005, 05:23
I use ky jelly to lubricate my firearms.
Kaya lang pagtagal nagaamoy durian yun hk ko!
I wonder why.

Eye Cutter
09-12-2005, 05:38
ky is water based, or is this a trick question? ;e

batangueno
09-12-2005, 06:03
Horge is right, similar metal treatment lubes are re-packaged specifically for different applications. Duralube for automobiles, militec for guns, pro-link for bikes, etc.

Email militec so that they can send you a free sample of their grease and lube.

mikey177
09-12-2005, 08:08
Okay, horge. Thanks for the reassurance.

One more question: is it all right to use a motor oil for a diesel engine, or do gasoline engine motor oils work better with firearms?

horge
09-12-2005, 15:55
Hi ya Mike :)

To me, all that matters are viscosity rating (the SAE numbers),
the odor, and breakdown characteristics. Doesn't really matter
whether the synthetic lube is intended for motorbikes or for
car door hinges ;)

IIRC diesel engine oils (CC to CD) meet higher standards than
gas engine oils (SF to SG... sometimes to CC), but in ways that
gun owners don't fully benefit from, given the operating
temperatures and general mechanical context of guns.
All modern engine lubes contain nice additives, such as to fight corrosion
and loosen carbon deposits, something we can all appreciate.

The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) has ratings for viscosity,
which manufacturers have apparently expanded. A can of modern
multiviscosity engine oil is usually rated SAE(something)W(something).
The first rating indicates viscosity at 0F and the second at 212F.
It can be difficult to gauge room temp viscosity of a lube
that presents only its extreme-temp characteristics, but generally,
the higher both numbers, the thicker the lube at room temp.

The thickest lube I've ever found gun-useful wasn't even an engine oil,
but an axle lube rated SAE 85W140. Sadly, it's petroleum based,
and stinks. I mean, it smells really, really bad. Sayang talaga.
If there's a similar all-synthetic axle or gear lube out there,
I wanna try it.

hth
horge

royal glockster
09-17-2005, 03:29
hello mga bro! tagal kong nawala, sira kasi computer ko. For me, singer oil lang pwede na. Hindi masyadong sticky at madaling linisin after firing session. Should you prefer motor oil, pwede rin of course any oil will do. Ang masama kung di malalangisan ang gun natin siguradon kakalawangin...:cool: