Runners: help/advice needed! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Runners: help/advice needed!

c5367
08-14-2005, 10:11
Why can't I run???

I just did the comprehensive fitness test at my gym. According to them I have a 54 VO2 Max, my sitting heart rate is 55bpm, which they say is pretty darn good for a 24 your old male. I weigh 197 with approx. 14.5% BF.

Now, the problem is that back in the day, I could run 3m in under 21 minutes. My PR was 20:20, and at the time I was 205lbs. Now, even though my cardiovascular health is pretty good, I'd be lucky to run 3m in 27 min.

What could be my limiting factor here? Flexibility? maybe leg strength? This is getting kinda frustrating, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

174spd
09-06-2005, 07:07
Questions for your.
1. Are you still running? if so how far how many times a week?
2. What are you eating and how often?
3. Are we stretching before running?
4. Are your shoes comfortable running shoes for you?

c5367
09-06-2005, 07:20
Thanks for the response. To answer:

1. Just started back up today after 2 weeks off. After a minor motorcycle accident I was a little sore and thought a little rest would be a good idea. The idea is to run 5-6 times a week, varying the intensity. 2-3 of those runs will be at a very slow recovery pace, about 60-70% Max HR.

2. I try to eat smaller meals 4-5 times a day. Usually something simple like grilled chicken breast and rice. Lotsa milk and water too.

3. I think flexibility is a weak point. I do stretch before and after, but I seem to tighten up a lot over night, so it seems as though I'm not making much progress in this area.

4. I had been running in Nike Prestos. I actually underpronate when I run, so flexible shoes are a must. The problem with that is most shoes for under-pronators aren't made for tubby guys like me
:) That said, I just picked up some Nike Shox 2:45's, which are well cushioned and very flexible, so I think I'm good to go as far as shoes are concerned.

Thanks again, whadya think?

kestrou
09-06-2005, 21:42
c5367,

You done any speed work lately? A 54 VO2 Max doesn't sound like cardiovascular is a limiting factor to get 3 miles in 21 minutes - but what can you do a quarter mile in?

You might just need to condition your body to run faster than a jog. You should be able to hit about 80 to 85 seconds for a single quarter, if your goal is 3 miles in 21 minutes.

If you can't do that now, then I recommend 6x400 repeats in 90 seconds - no more than 2 minutes recovery between them! - and by that last one you'll really be working out, but it's a do-able workout! ^c

kestrou

c5367
09-06-2005, 22:26
Thanks Kestrou!

About how often should I be doing this type of speedwork??

kestrou
09-07-2005, 11:36
Originally posted by c5367
About how often should I be doing this type of speedwork??

Once a week should be plenty - definitely not more than twice a week.

Couple more questions for you:

1) How did you determine your VO2 Max was 54? That's usually estimated based upon your performance running at a particular distance/pace - which disagrees with what you're able to run. I'm sure there's other ways to determine it though, just interested in what "your way" was.

2) What's your running goals? Even if it's "just generally stay healthy/trim", what distances and how much time are you interested in putting in to running? For some it's a necessary evil, for others it's a way of life (I'm nearer the latter than the former :) ).

Good luck and keep on trucking! ^c

kestrou

P.S. - My speed workout this week was Monday afternoon and I did 3x1600 in 6:20 or less. Actually clocked them at 6:16/6:17/6:17 so I was happy.