pulled a muscle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : pulled a muscle

UtahIrishman
08-14-2005, 20:29
on Friday I was running my usual two miles on the treadmill at the gym when at the one mile mark I had to stop with a pulled muscle in my calf.

At least I think it's a pulled muscle. It actually feels like the top part of the achilles tendon where it attaches to the calf muscle is where it hurts.

I applied cold then heat Friday night several times, then I've been resting it all weekend. I've been wrapping it some but the wrap may have been to tight. I've loosened it up some now.

So tomorrow I need to go to work and deal with stairs and walking. Not a lot of walking but more than I think I should at this point.

Should I wrap it?

I know...I know go to the doctor. Actually my doctor doesn't think I should be running at my age at all. I disagree, so I don't know how much help he would be with this. I'm 51 by the way.

garythenuke
08-14-2005, 21:04
I have had that too many times to be comfortable admitting. Provided there is no swelling, redness, or bruising, you just plain strained your calf. The only thing to help for sure is rest. If you have to do stairs do them on your heels instead of your balls of feet.
I do not think wrapping will do any good, ice is a good bet along with Ibuprofen if your stomach can handle it. As the pain goes away, start stretching gradualy and do some strengthening. Simple toe raises will be a good start.
There is no reason in the world barring some relatively major pre-existing medical condition that should keep you from running at age 51. I know guys who finally got off their butts in the mid 50's and are going gangbusters now.

Do not give up, just give your body time to heal. Also take a look at your diet to be sure you are getting enough protein and water.

Good Luck

Gary

UtahIrishman
08-14-2005, 21:40
thanks gary...

I must say it's happened to me before too...in fact this is the third time I've pulled it...just seemed to be worse this time though. No visible swelling or bruising...so I'll do the ibuprofen and ice routine. I've done that before for other pulled muscles.

You know my doctor is a touch odd. He REALLY seems to think I should slow down. He hasn't given me a specific reason other than my blood pressure is a touch high. But part of the reason I started to run more is to help my blood pressure.

Must be all my gray hair...

garythenuke
08-15-2005, 09:04
Sorry, but your doctor seems way more than odd if he is telling you not to exercise because your blod pressure is too high. If you loose weight, your bp will drop. If you cut salt and thereby reduce the water in your blood and thereby reduce the overall non-hemoglobin carrying volume of your blood your bp will drop. I would consider finding a doctor who exercises.

All the best.
gary