Love & hate relationship with run flat tires [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Love & hate relationship with run flat tires

fnfalman
08-16-2005, 16:17
I just experienced my first flat tire experience with the Z4 yesterday. I was cruising and the warning light came out with a not-too-loud "ding" bell. Supposedly the Bridgestone RE090 is good for 90-miles at 50-MPH. I was about 45-MPH from my house when the light came on. So I slowed down to 60-MPH and cruised home at an easy pace. Just for the hell of it, I kind of wiggle the car around to see if I can feel the difference in the handling. Nope. The car felt as though all tires were good. Without that dash warning light, I wouldn't know if the tire were flat. I then had to pass a couple of semi trucks at around 75-MPH. No problem there with the lane change. I contemplated hauling ass home, but I figure Bridgestone may know something about the performance parameters for these tires. So I slowed down to 60-MPH and cruised home (doing 50-MPH on the Kali freeway is a good way of getting ran over or shot).

I pulled onto the driveway and whipped out the tire gauge to discover that the driver rear was the one that went flat. You cannot tell by eyeball calibration. The tire itself looks intact as well although I rode it at higher than recommended speed limit. Love it!! ^c

The hate part is twicefold: rough ride all the time and REPLACEMENT COST;P You can't fix the tire once it's flat. It's not repairable. I suppose you can try to foam it or plug it, but Bridgestone doesn't recommend repairing run-flats. So the cost for 1-ea Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 255/35-18 including labor from Sears is $371.:soap:

streeter69
08-17-2005, 05:19
Run flats are not cheap;P

They are a major pain to install.

hihoslva
08-17-2005, 11:11
Originally posted by fnfalman
So the cost for 1-ea Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 255/35-18 including labor from Sears is $371.:soap:
Try doing it on a Vette. You're looking at over $500 per tire installed.

4TS&W
08-17-2005, 11:28
But if it saves you from having an acident, how much would an accident cost? ;)

Str8shootr
08-19-2005, 14:49
Ahhhh, run flat tires.

3x the price of regular tires, and they get 1/2 the mileage of other tires.

Installed my third set on my 1997 vette last year, about 22,000 miles a set. 2nd set cost me $1200, 3rd set was $1600. This was at Discount tire. I know, I know, if you can afford a vette, blah, blah, blah......

I still love the car, but it hurts to pay that for tires.

epsylum
08-19-2005, 20:48
Originally posted by Str8shootr
Ahhhh, run flat tires.

3x the price of regular tires, and they get 1/2 the mileage of other tires.

Installed my third set on my 1997 vette last year, about 22,000 miles a set. 2nd set cost me $1200, 3rd set was $1600. This was at Discount tire. I know, I know, if you can afford a vette, blah, blah, blah......

I still love the car, but it hurts to pay that for tires.

I used to work at discount tire. And, yeah they are a PITA to install. Damn sidewalls are like semi-truck tires (that's what keeps them from flattening out with low pressure in them).

Repairing any tire that has been driven on when flat is a bad idea. They figure that you paid for a "run flat" so you will definately run on it when it's flat. So nope, no repairing. But at least you weren't stuck somehwere with a flat tire or went flying off into a ditch because of a flat.

Ridgeway
08-19-2005, 21:37
Originally posted by Str8shootr

Installed my third set on my 1997 vette last year, about 22,000 miles a set.
heh, I wish I got that many miles on mine
the rear tires on my z4 are in need of replacement after only 16k miles :(

fnfalman: I guess you put the rft's back on?
you could just risk it and carry a can of fix a flat

I'm planning on installing Pilot Sport 2's, instead of the re50a rfts (well unless michelin ramps up ps2 zp production...)...and carry a can of fix a flat or on long trips I'll toss an extra wheel/tire in the trunk(well if there's room in that spacious trunk)...

epsylum
08-19-2005, 22:24
Originally posted by Ridgeway
and carry a can of fix a flat

After working at discount tire, that just makes me cringe.

That stuff sucks. I can't tell you how many poeple put that stuff in thier tires expecting it to magically fix the tire. Then it doesn't work, so the poeple at the tire shop have to loose thier lunch changing the tire. That stuff smells HORRIBLE!. It softens up the rubber on the inside and about ruins the tire.

Spares are there for a reason. I know I had to use mine twice in about a month (they must have been coating the roads with nails for some reason).

Ridgeway
08-20-2005, 09:37
Originally posted by epsylum

Spares are there for a reason. I know I had to use mine twice in about a month (they must have been coating the roads with nails for some reason).
Most if not all new BMW's no longer come with spare tires. Most just have rft's, and those w/o rft's come with a can of fix a flat (I know the M Roadster/Coupe did...).

My last car did have a small spare (Z3), but for the life of me I couldn't get the darn thing out, finally gave up, walked home, put another wheel/tire in my brother's car and drove back lol. :)

epsylum
08-20-2005, 10:14
Originally posted by Ridgeway
Most if not all new BMW's no longer come with spare tires. Most just have rft's, and those w/o rft's come with a can of fix a flat (I know the M Roadster/Coupe did...).

My last car did have a small spare (Z3), but for the life of me I couldn't get the darn thing out, finally gave up, walked home, put another wheel/tire in my brother's car and drove back lol. :)

ahhh so BMW is to blame. ;f

To me fix a flat is like a cheap duct-tape fix, even just to get it to the tire shop. If it works, you got lucky and must have had a really really small hole. But if you see what it does to the inside of a tire, it's not good. Spares are nice if, you immediately notice a flat (as in goes flat while parked, popped suddenly at a very slow speed, etc). Then you can change over to the spare, drive to the tire place and have a good chance of getting it fixed saving you money.

But I guess BMW decided that if you can afford thier cars, you can afford new tires any time you have a problem. I mean a donut spare doesn't take up THAT much room and can be a life saver/money saver.

Rob1035
08-20-2005, 10:38
yup, the "M-Mobility kit" comes with a compressor and a can of gee-whiz super fix-a-flat. Supposedly one of the bimmer rags did a test on it and found it 'vastly superior to more common fix a flat types', I took that with a multiple salt grains. I know lots of bmw-heads (younger and dumber usually) that take the spare/jack/etc out of their street cars and use the M-kit to 'save weight', as if 30lbs or whatever matters on the road. bleh.

Man I love having a car with 4 wheels/tires of the same size, with a 5th in the trunk:cool:

streeter69
08-20-2005, 12:33
Originally posted by Rob1035
yup, the "M-Mobility kit" comes with a compressor and a can of gee-whiz super fix-a-flat. Supposedly one of the bimmer rags did a test on it and found it 'vastly superior to more common fix a flat types',

You want to wait in a tire shop a very long time...........Just forget to tell the person you have this stuff in your tire and He gets is all over himself:(

Your car is not getting done anytime soon;f

RMTactical
08-20-2005, 12:40
I've gotten maybe 1 flat tire in the past 5 years (actually, it was a blow out and I should have changed the tires long before). Run flats are a big waste of money, at least in general.

No doubt they are a good idea, and in some applications, they may serve well. In general, they are a waste.

Rob1035
08-20-2005, 20:16
perhaps its one of those things that is a good idea for the general, car-ignorant populations, whilst us more knowledgable enthusiast dont need the hand-holding?

epsylum
08-20-2005, 23:17
Originally posted by streeter69
You want to wait in a tire shop a very long time...........Just forget to tell the person you have this stuff in your tire and He gets is all over himself:(

Your car is not getting done anytime soon;f

Man 2 years at discount tire, I got to know the stuff well.

There are two common types. (not the BMW stuff, but off the shelf stuff). One smells are ... well.. synthetic. You, no the "that ain't natural" kind of smell. Smell pretty bad and has a look of milk with gasoline mixed in. The other (and worse IMO) version is what I like to call the "6 month old milk" style. It is really runny and off-white in color and smells like sour milk but intensify it by about 100. One hot summer morning I had a tire with that sour milk stuff in it. I cracked the bead and the whoosh of horrid scent hit my face. I ran outside and ... well lets say.. I tasted my breakfast again. Worst part is they son't tell you they put that crap in thier tire, it's a complete surprise.

I hate that stuff with a passion.

circusvargas1
08-24-2005, 03:13
There are many new versions of run flat tires out there now that are better than others. Goodyear has just came out with a new high performance runflat for the C6 corvette for the Z51 package. It runs smooth. I had the older runcraps on my vette and picked these up and no noise and great handaling.