securing a wireless network [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : securing a wireless network

08-17-2005, 18:03
So i just built two gaming computers, one for me and one for my friend. I am directly connected to cable fir my ISP, he uses cable with a wirless router. I noctied when i set his computer at his home it says his wireless network is "unsecured". He has no idea what to do and i never use wireless because i am connected directly with cable.

How do i secure his wireless network for him, its a linksys B router that is his access point, he has the USB Network adaptor on top of his PC. The router is not connected to gh9is computer, its down stairs ( why i dont know).

i have no idea, just want to help him out. I did see two wireless networks, one was secured and his the unsecured one. He wants it secured and i dont blame him.

Andy

and curse the make of these small keyboards, what a pain!

funbob
08-17-2005, 20:05
First, connect to the router at http://192.168.1.1/, the default password I believe for Linksys routers is "admin", leave the username blank. The next steps are from my memory of a Linksys configuration screen, so I may not be entirely accurate...

First thing first, change the router password, then change the SSID, then uncheck the box to disable SSID broadcast. The SSID name you choose will probably have to be hand entered into his wireless device software to let it find the network. Then, most importantly, enable ecryption. WPA if supported, otherwise set your WEP key strength to 128bit and use a strong passphrase to generate the key. That key or passphrase will have to be entered into his wireless device software to enable access. Under the DHCP tab, I would either disable DHCP entirely and enter the information manually on the computer or, if he is the only one that's going to be using his network, limit the maximum number of DHCP users to 1. Last time I checked, Linksys routers don't don't permit MAC address filtering to ALLOW only certain MAC addresses to access the network, only to block certain addresses. But it's been a while

08-17-2005, 21:29
bob

thx i completed the router setup.

Only now my PC cant get online. It doesnt even see anywireless networks now, there were two before.

i am lost, its most likely related to my PC and its USB Network adaptor. I cant even get the oem cd to run the software.

Andy

funbob
08-17-2005, 21:57
That's probably related to turning off the SSID broadcast. What make and model of wireless adapter are you using for your PC?

08-17-2005, 22:16
its a linksys 2.4 Ghz wireless USB Network Adaptor v2.6
Andy

08-17-2005, 22:29
appears to be working now.

I did so much i am not sure what the fix was. I will reboot and see if i still have connectivity.

thx for the tips
Andy

i am still at his place, he owes me for this :)

e417
08-19-2005, 23:42
Can anyone offer help on securing my wireless network. I have a netgear router and noticed it says my network in unsecure. If you can help, please talk to me like I am the village idiot so I do not screw anything up. I just got a new DELL laptop with intel proset wireless. Thanks in advance.