power supply question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : power supply question

Maximaking
08-18-2005, 23:27
I've been running a celeron 2.4 with a raedeon dual head viedo card, cd burner, seperate dvd drive, and firewire card. All this has been powered by a 300 watt power supply. Today I recieved a dvd burner and tv card. soon after instalation the pc began loosing power. IT would power off all the suden with no warning. This sounds like a power supply doesn't it?

Thanks
Todd

08-19-2005, 00:27
Yes it does.

300watts is just plain not enough for what your running. Invest in a good PSU.

I inquired about a PSU in another thread and was provided this link:

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/default.asp

Its a must read if your buying a PSU, there is a lot more to know than just buying a highier watt PS.

take the time to read it.

Andy

the link to my thread also:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413566

fastvfr
08-19-2005, 21:36
Or, the easy way:

1. Make sure it says, "Enermax", "Antec", "PC Power & Cooling" or "OCZ" on it!

2. You need a minimum of 400 watts to be sure; my sig rig has a 480w TruePower Antec in it, and it never dips below the specified ratings this PC needs, i.e. +3.3v, +5v, & +12v.

Right now MBM5 reports the rails at +3.34v, +5.03v and +12.06v. I am happy with that.

The PSU is the MOST IMPORTANT component in any PC...and, since it can utterly destroy every last circuit in your precious machine, it behooves one to buy a proven, powerful model, even if it costs $20 more.

NGWT
08-19-2005, 23:47
Yes. PC Power and Cooling awesome power supplies. I've been using them for years. That said, in a pinch I needed a power supply and bought an Antec NeoPower 480.

Just build two DualCores, one an Intel and the other an AMD. The AMD has the semi-fancy video card (6800 GT).

I had an Antec 430 in there and the box would reboot itself whenever I ran a 3DMark test.

Finally figured out it was the power, replaced the 430 with the Neo and haven't looked back.

Still, I'll probably splurge and get the PC Power PS.