Issue starting my Camry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Issue starting my Camry

RMTactical
08-19-2005, 14:09
Just recently, my '97 camry has had issues starting up right away, esspecially when the engine is cold. The battery is fine, and the power comes on, the battery connections are fine.

It usually takes 4-5 turns to get the starter to get the engine going. What could this be? Is it the ignition? Maybe spark plugs? I have no clue.

Any advice?

epsylum
08-19-2005, 18:27
Originally posted by GoreLicks
Just recently, my '97 camry has had issues starting up right away, esspecially when the engine is cold. The battery is fine, and the power comes on, the battery connections are fine.

It usually takes 4-5 turns to get the starter to get the engine going. What could this be? Is it the ignition? Maybe spark plugs? I have no clue.

Any advice?

I think the ignition would be a good start to try and track it down. OF all the things needed to make an engine run, the electricals tend to be the most enviroment dependant.

Couple cheap things you could try.

- fuel injector cleaner, even if it doesn't help, it won't hurt and would be a bit of preventative maintenece.

- Sparkplugs. Again not expensive, and is good preventative maintence no matter what.

- Spark plug wires. getting a bit more expensive, but I changed mine on my Cougar when I noticed the engine misfiring when it was wet out. Problem went away. Again it was environment sensitve.

If none of that works, take it to a Toyota mechanic, not just some regular mechanic. I say that just because I know some and they ALL know Camry's like the back of thier hand (they have to, the see more Camrys than anything else). I would be willing to bet they could find the issue right away. "Experienced Toyota Mechanic" almost always means "Camry Expert". ;f

epsylum
08-20-2005, 22:20
any news on the camry yet gore?

geminicricket
08-20-2005, 22:31
My 97 Geo Prizm, back when I had it, suffered a failing starter motor for several weeks before I gave up and replaced it. It had about 115,000 miles at the time. The clerk at the parts store told me that Toyota starters did tend to fail at about 100,000 miles. How many miles do you have?

RMTactical
08-21-2005, 02:50
It has 85K miles.

Well, it turns out that one of my cousins is a mechanic and so I am going to drop the car off to him tomorrow and let him take it to work on Monday. He'll mess around with it and take care of business.

Thanks fellas. :)

epsylum
08-21-2005, 14:12
Originally posted by GoreLicks
It has 85K miles.

Well, it turns out that one of my cousins is a mechanic and so I am going to drop the car off to him tomorrow and let him take it to work on Monday. He'll mess around with it and take care of business.

Thanks fellas. :)

I just asked my toyota mechanic friend. he said if the "check engine" light was on he would look at the crank position sensor first.

But if not it could be a lot of things.

mrb302
08-26-2005, 19:32
Sounds like a weak starter motor to me...

Just guessing.

Let us know what it was when it's repaired. I'm curious to see how good my pyshic web based vehicle diaognostic service is working. ;)

RMTactical
08-27-2005, 14:07
I got it back from my cousin yesterday. It was the starter contacts, cost $10 to replace, works just fine now.

Thanks!