Need help building a gaming PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a gaming PC


darkside852003
08-19-2005, 18:15
I have no idea where to start. I want to use this PC to play games like Counter Strike Source, and use for school. I want to keep it on a budget, $650 for everything after any rebates. My little brother said I could look at Tiger Direct.

Thanks

funbob
08-19-2005, 19:01
That's a reasonable budget to put together a budget gaming PC. Check out ebay. Lots of reputable dealers to choose from and the prices can't be beat. Just watch out for shipping.

Just checking real quickly, an AMD 64 3400 CPU plus a decent ASUS mobo will set you back around $230. You could probably go a bit faster on the CPU, say a 3700, and stay in your budget.

An nvidia 6600 video card will be the best bang for your budget gaming buck and one will set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of $115 or so.

A case and a decent PSU will set you back between 50-100 depending on how fancy you want to get. I'd suggest buying them seperately as the PSU's that often come bundled with budget cases are of poor quality and stable power to your system is not something you want to skimp on. Antec is a good name, so is OCA. There are other quality makers out there too. They key thing to look for, in addition to a sufficient wattage rating, is amperage on the 12V rail. You want something that can supply 25A or better.

I'm sure you'll want a DVD burner of some sort. Figure another $60. You could probably throw in 2 if you plan on doing a lot of duplicating and stay in budget.

A decent sized HDD (120-160GB) will put you back another 70-100.

I'm assuming you already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard of your own to supply.

darkside852003
08-19-2005, 20:05
I'm assuming you already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard of your own to supply.

No I don't. I was looking at some 20-21 inch monitors for $100- $150 on Tiger Direct.

Washington,D.C.
08-19-2005, 20:13
I haven't delt with Tiger Direct but I hear people never see the rebates from them.I always have good luck dealing with Zip Zoom Fly

http://zipzoomfly.com

ZigG17
08-19-2005, 21:04
Stick with AMD processors. They are the best for gaming. Get a GeForce 6600 graphics card since that's the only one that will fit your budget. And shop at www.newegg.com - they have the best prices.

fastvfr
08-19-2005, 21:12
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
I haven't delt with Tiger Direct but I hear people never see the rebates from them.I always have good luck dealing with Zip Zoom Fly

http://zipzoomfly.com

+1 on ZZF. Usually has Free 2nd Day FedEx, too....

The gaming rig in my sig line cost over twice what you want to spend, but by going AMD and apting for a lesser case and smaller drive array you could get it down to near your budget...

Just remember that a fast video card is ESSENTIAL. You can get a slower CPU or less RAM and you'll only get longer load times.

Get anything less than a 6600GT and you'll get awful framerates when playing newer games--I have a $299 Gigabyte 6800GT, myself, anf I will not be playing on an FX card again anytime soon! Unless I wanna replay Half Life The First again, that is.

What I mean to say is, when building a gaming rig, buy a decent vid card first and foremost, and then build the rest of the PC around it. The vid card is the LAST place you want to skimp when building a games machine.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you'd like more details.

Best regards,

Eric

AntiOsama
08-20-2005, 17:55
Originally posted by funbob
That's a reasonable budget to put together a budget gaming PC. Check out ebay. Lots of reputable dealers to choose from and the prices can't be beat. Just watch out for shipping.

Just checking real quickly, an AMD 64 3400 CPU plus a decent ASUS mobo will set you back around $230. You could probably go a bit faster on the CPU, say a 3700, and stay in your budget.

An nvidia 6600 video card will be the best bang for your budget gaming buck and one will set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of $115 or so.

A case and a decent PSU will set you back between 50-100 depending on how fancy you want to get. I'd suggest buying them seperately as the PSU's that often come bundled with budget cases are of poor quality and stable power to your system is not something you want to skimp on. Antec is a good name, so is OCA. There are other quality makers out there too. They key thing to look for, in addition to a sufficient wattage rating, is amperage on the 12V rail. You want something that can supply 25A or better.

I'm sure you'll want a DVD burner of some sort. Figure another $60. You could probably throw in 2 if you plan on doing a lot of duplicating and stay in budget.

A decent sized HDD (120-160GB) will put you back another 70-100.

I'm assuming you already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard of your own to supply.


Do not check out ebay for computer parts ever it is eather stolen or it is crap. Go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com and get it from there you can build a 3.00 ghz computer rather cheaply.

fastvfr
08-23-2005, 15:02
BTW, I don't recommend buying PC parts from an auction site, either.

Many of the parts thus acquired have been overclocked until problems were encountered, and so few parts will be 'gently used'.

If they aren't mismarked, misrepresented, or stolen, that is...

08-23-2005, 15:37
I use Newegg a lot but i did order some items from ZZF, both were fast and i had not complaints.

I did get a defective MB from Newegg, i sent it back using there RMA and they sent a new one, no hassles at all.

Andy

i just order from Xoxide.com as well, just placed the order yesterday so i will let you know how it goes with them too.

EvilGenius
08-23-2005, 18:37
Here is a site that I send friends to who want to build their own but don't REALLY want to build their own. You choose what you want, they build it and send it to you. I've heard positive reviews about them.

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm

Washington,D.C.
08-23-2005, 18:44
Nvidia recently lowered the prices of their better cards by $100.ATI will have to do the same to compete.I personally prefer Nvidia but A friend likes ATI.

08-23-2005, 21:04
http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html?id=kK7bCURD

these guys cool stuff too, i have yet to use them though.

Andy

tpsh
08-23-2005, 21:07
Originally posted by ZigG17
Stick with AMD processors. They are the best for gaming. Get a GeForce 6600 graphics card since that's the only one that will fit your budget. And shop at www.newegg.com - they have the best prices.


a BIG +1 on NEWEGG.COM I have been buying from them for years and never a problem.

Tvov
08-25-2005, 11:17
My Pentium IV 2g processor has been fine for the last few years, and plays Battlefield 2 with no problems. Get 1g ram, people I've talked to (including here on GT) recommend two 512 sticks of ram instead of one 1g stick.

I have an ATI Radion 9600 Pro 256ram graphics card that works great. With a lot of games, your "graphics settings" make a huge difference. A less powerful graphics card can do just fine if the settings are correct. Some people buy the latest and greatest cards and have bad graphics and lag, becuase they don't know how to change the settings.

$650 seems low to me, but if you can do it, more power to you!

RaiderRodney
08-26-2005, 05:48
Originally posted by USCG1988
i just order from Xoxide.com as well, just placed the order yesterday so i will let you know how it goes with them too.

I give another +1 to newegg and xoxide...both good choices ;) I will have to try this ZZF place sometime :) Good luck on your build.

bobby_w
08-26-2005, 16:09
Zipzoomfly and NewEgg are my favorites, but I have also bought from TigerDirect and have always got my rebates. Maybe the people that rebated did not know how to read a form and fill it out right.

357S
08-27-2005, 14:51
Originally posted by Tvov
My Pentium IV 2g processor has been fine for the last few years, and plays Battlefield 2 with no problems. Get 1g ram, people I've talked to (including here on GT) recommend two 512 sticks of ram instead of one 1g stick.

I have an ATI Radion 9600 Pro 256ram graphics card that works great. With a lot of games, your "graphics settings" make a huge difference. A less powerful graphics card can do just fine if the settings are correct. Some people buy the latest and greatest cards and have bad graphics and lag, becuase they don't know how to change the settings.

$650 seems low to me, but if you can do it, more power to you!

I have a nice gaming computer that Im only into about $700. It can be done if you watch for the deals.

ERASER
08-30-2005, 17:07
I've bought from NewEgg. Fast delivery, nice price. Rebate came quickly, too.
I had a bad experience with Tiger Direct ---filed reports with Better Business Bureau and the Florida Attorney General's Office.

08-30-2005, 21:27
You can build a gaming rig for 650, i just build one for my bosses son for $900. I didnt need to get the expensive case or RAM which bumped it up to about $900.

If your not in a hurry and shop around you can do it.

Andy

darkside852003
08-30-2005, 21:45
Well I built my rig, part of it anyway.

HP A1130N

AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+
250GB 7200RPM hard drive
1GB of DDR SDRAM
Dual DVD drives
LightScribe technology
Media Center Edition 2005

I Added
ATI Radeon X700 video card
512 MB of Kingston Ram
Insignia 19" CRT moniter
Logitech R-20 speakers and subwoofer

Need to add a better power supply. Any advice for the power supply?

Washington,D.C.
08-31-2005, 00:52
Are you having problems with your power supply?I like Enermax power supplies.They are some of the best.They are well made and well filtered.Make sure you get one compatible with your system. You can check here

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ThirdCategoryList.jsp?SecondCategoryCode=0118