Wi-Fi for ds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi for ds

Kanos
08-21-2005, 15:53
I got a ds recently, and i have been wondering about this wi-fi thing. I know no games support it yet, but when they come out with ones that do i want to know how to work it. Do you need a wireless wouter to play with wi-fi..ir does it play from anywhere? I mean it doesnt really matter cuas i have a wireless router hooked up. But if i wanted to play with people miles and miles away from a dfferent location other then my house could I?

funbob
08-22-2005, 08:24
Nope. The DS fully compies with the 802.11 spec but does not have a TCP stack or support any IPv4/IPv6 communications. TCP/IP could be emulated in software but no games do this and none are planned. So the DS's abilities are limited to ad-hoc gaming against other nearby DS's with what games support it.

My advice, return that DS and get get a device that supports real wifi ;f
http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/photos/psp_close.jpg

Kanos
08-22-2005, 11:16
I dont think so. At e3 they had a set up of some people playing animal crossing there. And someone playing in newyork. And if your talking about what i think your talking about, they are planning to ocme out with games that support it. There are already two tidles planned for the end of 2005. Animal crossing and Mario Kart.

But im just wondering, when i get these games, what will i need other than my ds to run them. Will i need a wireless intrnet router or not?

P.S. It was a gift from my aunt, im not about to return it becuase then id have something better then what my cousin has, and that owuldnt really be fair.

Otherwise i would. PSP is way better.:cool:

funbob
08-22-2005, 14:13
You will need a wireless router to play online. That's good that Nintendo is starting to take advantage of the DS's wifi capabilities. It's something they've ignored for awhile.

Kanos
08-22-2005, 14:51
Im glad i just baught one for my laptop!!:cool: