SAM as base pistol for competition? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SAM as base pistol for competition?

Arpee
08-21-2005, 21:33
hello again,

just wondering if anybody out there has used a Shooters Arms (SAM) pistol as their pistol for competition. I've read a lot of good comments about using SAM as a base pistol but I've not actually seen nor heard somebody using it as their base pistol for competitive shooting.

I've seen their hi-cap 40 cal pistol. It may not look good but with gunsmithing and few modifications, it can be a good looking pistol. It is not a bull barrel type yet though.

Any comments or suggestions?

Salamat,

mikol
08-21-2005, 22:55
Originally posted by Arpee
hello again,

just wondering if anybody out there has used a Shooters Arms (SAM) pistol as their pistol for competition. I've read a lot of good comments about using SAM as a base pistol but I've not actually seen nor heard somebody using it as their base pistol for competitive shooting.

I've seen their hi-cap 40 cal pistol. It may not look good but with gunsmithing and few modifications, it can be a good looking pistol. It is not a bull barrel type yet though.

Any comments or suggestions?

Salamat,
hi arpee,
most of the shooters in this forum are using high-end firearms for the competition boomers. some my consider SAM's slide as an alternative but i have'nt seen any post considering it's frame as base gun.
you can try it yourself bro and let us now what is the outcome 'coz i might consider SAM's pistol's since we have alot of their units back there in Cebu. ;f
if there are alot of S_I/SPS fake parts roaming around the country (which some of the BoG's says there are), i might get myself those local once like Armscor, RIA or even SAM for my base gun. i don't want to spent my money on a high-end brand that is made only from someone elses backyard. just my 2cents.:) ;)

kerwin
08-21-2005, 23:50
There are a lot of SAM's used in competition where i am from. The Frame is Mil Spec and some frames are chopped for its rails to mate with hi-cap sti or sps plastic grips. The Slide is made from forged steel kaya it's a bit tougher than other Philippine made brands. Workmanship on SAM pistols has improved. Maganda yang SAM bro.

mikol
08-22-2005, 00:05
Originally posted by kerwin
There are a lot of SAM's used in competition where i am from. The Frame is Mil Spec and some frames are chopped for its rails to mate with hi-cap sti or sps plastic grips. The Slide is made from forged steel kaya it's a bit tougher than other Philippine made brands. Workmanship on SAM pistols has improved. Maganda yang SAM bro.
hi kerwin,
i myself have a SAM Commodore cal.45 for my house gun. ;f
if i have to build my competition gun using local parts, it my be a pork chop of Armscor/RIA frame with SAM Alpha/Omega slide.

but if there is a reputable gunsmith that can guarantee to do the cutting of SAM's frame(without damaging it)to fit a much durable ramp supported barrel, then i'll get the SAM Alpha model 'coz it already had a full dust cover.;f just my 2cents.;)

kerwin
08-22-2005, 01:12
Hi Mikol,

Gunsmiths here use the SAM frame by cutting away the trigger guard and anything that would get in the way of the hi-cap polymer grip, dress it up and you have a 2011 frame. I have yet to see armscor frames for sale here. There are gunsmiths in Cebu who can install ramped barrels in any 1911. Try Mr. Cortes of Mandaue.

SAM pistols are as good as any budget 1911 here and abroad.

mikol
08-22-2005, 01:40
Originally posted by kerwin
Hi Mikol,

Gunsmiths here use the SAM frame by cutting away the trigger guard and anything that would get in the way of the hi-cap polymer grip, dress it up and you have a 2011 frame. I have yet to see armscor frames for sale here. There are gunsmiths in Cebu who can install ramped barrels in any 1911. Try Mr. Cortes of Mandaue.

SAM pistols are as good as any budget 1911 here and abroad.
thanks for the heads-up kerwin. if i may decide to use a SAM frame i might aswell talked directly to rhone de leon(president of SAM)to ask him if they can modify their frame to have it cut directly for a ramp supported .40 cal bull barrel. ;f

Arpee
08-22-2005, 01:54
Speaking of the ingenuity of filipinos...WOW... now if somebody can just show a picture of a dressed-up SAM with hi-cap polymer grip :)

I was thinking of getting regular 1911 hi-cap 40cal but not with expensive frames since I do shoot or compete once in a while but am not yet competitive enough just like some BOGs here. Sayang pera pambili muna ng bala at gamit.

So, it got me thinking of getting an Armscor or SAM instead and change parts whenever possible or needed. A good gunsmith should be able to help. Unfortunately, 40cal Armscor frames is not available and I may want to start a new gun before the gun show (Nov 2005) so I can buy the pieces there.

Everyday I learn something new ;Y

am new here, what is the name or product that offers hi-cap polymer grip to enable a SAM to look like a 2011? Is there a website I can refer to? :)

As usual, thanks.

atmarcella
08-22-2005, 07:09
a while back mco posted a picture here of a sam/armscor pistol made by col. bayang, it was really beautiful, i just cant seem to find it, mco's gun i think is also a sam/armscor combination, and you know what he regularly beats a lot of guys w/ s_i's with it:)

mc_oliver
08-22-2005, 07:30
Tehehe, dude, I'm blushing with your vote of confidence, Thanks...;f;)

Anyway, do SAM widebodies use the Para msgs? Can somebody confirm for sure? Thanks.

Also, as for cutting a frame to mate with a S_I-type grip, I cannot understand why in the world would anybody want this? Porma points? Pero "feke" pa rin...;Q

IMHO, don't go this route. You're messing with the steel frame's structural integrity. An no matter how one will do it, short of melting the frame and recast it with an S_I frame-kit mould, it will never be perfect. And it will never be an S_I gun...

And there's nothing wrong with a SAM, Armscor, Llama or even "Danao." Instead, let your shooting do the bragging. ;)

...end of grumpy rant dahil kulang sa singhot ng pulbura... ;f

mikol
08-22-2005, 07:33
Originally posted by atmarcella
a while back mco posted a picture here of a sam/armscor pistol made by col. bayang, it was really beautiful, i just cant seem to find it, mco's gun i think is also a sam/armscor combination, and you know what he regularly beats a lot of guys w/ s_i's with it:)
indian pana kakana-kana!?
well..as what they always say, it's not the arrow but it's the bow. ay mali indian pala.;g ;) ;)

atmarcella
08-22-2005, 07:45
ang ganda ng baril na yon, di ba mco, you named it "heavyweight" pa nga di ba, kanina pko naga search, just cant find it...

Valor1
08-22-2005, 07:52
If I were me, a beginner high-cap will probably go to Armscor's direction. Only a few modifications (if you really want to) is needed. It will take Para-Ord magazines too which is a big plus. Last time I checked, the SAM won't take them (they have their own proprietary mag). The SAM slides and frames can be good enough, but the small parts, you try to compare it with the others and form your own opinions.

If you've seen McOliver's modified Armscor, it is enough to make you buy one tomorrow. The design is enough to be marketed as another brand of pistol. It is a gun fitting of a champion. Mind you, McO has demonstrated his talents and skills in shooting (and in kalikots). Yes, it is not only the gun, the shooter also has a lot to do with winning.

Cutting a frame is just okey. If you cut the frame and do some "heating", I agree with McO. You are also tampering with the integrity of the steel.

Why make your SAM into an STI? Gastusan mo man iyan, SAM pa rin. The reason why some people get S_I's not only the reason that they may be one of the best but also, there is waht you call pride in ownership. In this case, Rolex, BMW, Porsche, etc. comes to mind.

mikol
08-22-2005, 07:52
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Anyway, do SAM widebodies use the Para msgs? Can somebody confirm for sure? Thanks.

oliver,
yes they can accept Para-Ord mags. it was confirmed to me by the pres. of SAM itself mr. Rhone De Leon and even their sales reps confirmed it to me. :)

editted to add*****was not able thou to put the Para-Ord mags inside the SAM high-cap unit but i am holding to Mr. De Leon's word for it.;f

mc_oliver
08-22-2005, 08:20
Originally posted by atmarcella
ang ganda ng baril na yon, di ba mco, you named it "heavyweight" pa nga di ba, kanina pko naga search, just cant find it...
Ay forgot the pic. ;f

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/mc_oliver/IMG_1198.jpg

batangueno
08-22-2005, 08:39
Galing talaga gumawa ni Col. Bayang. ;W

atmarcella
08-22-2005, 08:59
sabi ko na nga... if you have a gun like that who needs an s_i;f tnx mco;f

Arpee
08-22-2005, 09:28
Just saw the pistol of Mc_O. Ganda:drool:

That is why I love being in this forum. Ganda ng mga baril nyo.

:)

mikol
08-22-2005, 09:31
sinong mag-aakala na yang boomer na yan ay "franky" using local made gun parts.;f ;) ;)

jasonub
08-22-2005, 17:33
or get this one from

Dan Bedell at shootersconnection.com

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1699

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1700

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1701

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1715

even if you dont win your gun is a winner:cool:

9MX
08-22-2005, 20:10
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Ay forgot the pic. ;f

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/mc_oliver/IMG_1198.jpg

hmmm.. what happened to the lightening holes on the slide. naks, CR speed holster yan ha, talo pa si Single Stacker,hehehe;a

st. matthew
08-22-2005, 21:03
gusto ko rin!!, gusto ko rin SPI !! (Sa Pilipinas Inassemble):cool: :cool: ;W ;W ;D ;D ~2 ~2
guys pakilala naman ninyo si Col.Bayang#wav

Arpee
08-22-2005, 21:43
If I have a gun like that and I don't get a DQ, I've won (in the gun-looks department nga lang and this is good enough for me).

Maganda rin yung kay Brian Enos. Baka meron pang picts dyan. :)

At least this gives me some ideas on where and what to do next on planned 1911. ;g

Ferdz
08-24-2005, 04:32
Mga bro, I own a SAM Falcon hi-cap .45 pistol bought pre-owned from an officemate. I can confirm that it uses Para-Ord/Armscor style magz. The unit came with only 1 generic magz so I accompanied the original owner last year to Twin Pines-Makati Square to purchase, using my discount card, 3 MecGar P14 magz, later on +2 base pads from Pascual Gunworks completed the set-up. The original owner also owns a SAM Elite single-stack .45 pistol.

Arpee
08-24-2005, 07:33
I wrote to Rhone de Leon of SAM asking him if I can have a bull barrel with ramp. This is his reply:

"thank you for writing. your plan is possible. please
tell the branch officer-in-charge to inform the
firearms controller of your special order when the
controller gives us the order here in the factory. we
have a standard procedure of not making any changes
unless advised by the controller"

I am impressed that he replied... ;D

To Mr. de Leon, hope you can also target the other international market :)

mikol
08-24-2005, 08:14
I wrote to Rhone de Leon of SAM asking him if I can have a bull barrel with ramp. This is his reply:

Arpee SAM are exporting there SAM series pistols to the US of A through Century Arms. But for now i think they are still trying to cater the need of local gun aficionado's before bringing again another haul of firearms to the USA. ;f (they temporarily stop importing firearms to Century, maybe for some international marketing strategy evaluation)

had visited SAM's factory in cebu city a couple of times during my holidays last jan-feb 2005. talked to "Sir Duke" as all the employee call him(Mr. Rhone De Leon). He is young, but very intelligent & very down to earth kind of person.;f (sir Duke freebies ko ha pag-uwi!)

Arpee
08-24-2005, 08:39
Mikol,

Thanks for the clarification. I have not made myself clear in my last post. I am aware that they used to market in US and was just thinking that they target other international market"s" as well. ;f

Pag nagbigay ng freebies si Sir Duke, ako rin hihingi :)

if not, hihingi na lang ako ng discount :)

mikol
08-24-2005, 09:13
Mikol,

Thanks for the clarification. I have not made myself clear in my last post. I am aware that they used to market in US and was just thinking that they target other international market"s" as well. ;f

Pag nagbigay ng freebies si Sir Duke, ako rin hihingi :)

if not, hihingi na lang ako ng discount :)

Maybe they are still on the process of evaluating their international marketing strategies and also trying to find more international partners/companies to carry their product. Di kasi ganoon kadali ang gun importing business, kailangan ng masusing pag-aaral at malaking capital. ;)

you can always contact him before going to any of their branch para makahingi ka ng discount. ;f ;)

editted to add*** our you can purchase their products during gun show dahil siguradong mas mababa ang presyo.;f (i'm not promoting guys, just giving my honest opinion to a brother BoG's);f ;) ;)

paltiq
11-08-2005, 18:25

isuzu
11-08-2005, 20:09

You can bet that Rhone will always reply to your messages. He is such a gentleman when it comes to inquiries as well as ordering their products. By the way, any idea on the quality of .45 barrels made by SAM?

Vault Keeper
11-08-2005, 21:51
Originally posted by paltiq
....meron na po bang installed grip bushing ang mga 1911 frame ng Shooters?

Sir no grip bushing yet. Price is Php4,900 (single stock) something yun eh. Look for cecile (721 0404)