Anyone a firefighter for the Army? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a firefighter for the Army?

alexs750
08-22-2005, 20:10
Was thinking of doing it for a few years instead of just tryin to get on locally. Let me know if its worth it. Might start leaning toward something more adventureous is its not all its cracked up to be.
A

Glkster19
08-23-2005, 11:39
If you're a single guy and able to be away for a while, you may consider the contract firefighting positions in Iraq. A buddy of mine is currently serving over there. $100k/yr mostly tax free I guess. He is currently home on a 10 day leave and says it is a piece of cake and they are not in any danger zone, funny though, I think of the entire country as a danger zone. From the pics I've seen and from what I've talked with him, they have good equipment/gear.

Oh yeah, you gotta love heat. When he flew out of Iraq last Wed, it was 102* at 23:00.

mohara
08-24-2005, 16:31
Not sure where your friend is at, but the people that I have talked to/know over there, they hate it. They are still getting shot at, since they are still in a "hostile zone". As far as the money goes, guess what. If you have a change of heart, and try to come home, you pay out your ass in taxes. There have been some that decided that this was not for them, and had to move to Europe to keep from paying back the money by moving back to the states.

April
08-24-2005, 18:44
If you're interested in "seeing the world" and getting some skills as a firefighter, the only way to do that in the Army is basically in a reserve component -- either National Guard or Reserves. The Army doesn't have any more active duty firefighters to speak of. And I wouldn't suggest being a civvy contractor in Iraq.. most folks go for the cash and already have jobs w/ fire agencies in the states somewhere.

My suggestion would be go Air Force. All the services train at the Louis F. Garland Fire Academy located at Goodfellow AFB. Air Force firefighters by far get the best equipment and ongoing training. If you don't want to go active duty, try Guard or Reserve.

Big plus on going Guard/Reserve is that you still go to school but you have your training for use in the civilian world at the same time. BTW, at completion a DOD fire school grad has FF 1 & 2, HazMat Ops, Med 1st Resp and ARFF.

For additional info, check out:

DODFire.com (http://www.dodfire.com)
Louis F. Garland Fire Academy (http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/Training_Group/312TRS/newfire/basic/basic/index.html)

Glkster19
08-24-2005, 19:07
Originally posted by mohara
Not sure where your friend is at, but the people that I have talked to/know over there, they hate it. They are still getting shot at, since they are still in a "hostile zone". As far as the money goes, guess what. If you have a change of heart, and try to come home, you pay out your ass in taxes. There have been some that decided that this was not for them, and had to move to Europe to keep from paying back the money by moving back to the states.

I'm with ya, my post stated I think of the entire country as a danger zone. That is what he said also as far as trying to get out of there early and having to pay all kinds of it in taxes, etc. The initial base he was at got hit by RPG's or something shortly after he was swiched to another one, so he did have a close call. He says this base is way away from everything and they've never had any incidents there. I'm with ya though, I'll stay here in the states where you know it's mostly safe.

alexs750
08-25-2005, 23:33
They have active duty firefighters. friend just left 3 months ago for it. It's the 21M position. I just havent talked to him since he left really. A recruter or the army website can verify it. Thanks for all the replies.

ClydeG19
08-27-2005, 08:33
A guy I know is doing the tour in Iraq as well. You need FF1, FF2, and hazmat ops, and EMT to even be considered though.

April
08-28-2005, 07:57
Just because they say the job exists, which it does, doesn't mean you'll be able to get it.

I can tell you for a fact that there are significantly more Air Force FF jobs to be had than Army ones. The reason is that the Air Force base FDs are staffed with mostly enlisted AF personnel. This is not the case at Army bases. Army base FDs are entirely civilian. Many of the DOD civlian department employees are prior service or Guard/Reserve status Air Force or Marine Corps.

The active duty Army has only about 300 firefighters, said Staff Sgt. William Rourk of the 95th. From a story published by the Army. Full text can be found here (http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2003/n10102003_200310102.html). If you read the story (I know it's old) take a look at the engine. It appears to be a Macy. The Army isn't great about new equipment. The new truck the Army is getting is based on the Hemmit chassis and is built by Pierce/Oshkosh. You can read about that truck here (http://www.piercemfg.com/company/newsstory.cfm?ID=106).

I'm in no way trying to sway you one way or the other.. just trying to make sure you know all the facts before you go into it. I know about it because my husband is a Federal Firefighter at an Army base and an Air National Guard Firefighter with prior service as an Army Guard FF and an Active Duty Navy FF. The training he recieved as an Army Guard FF has allowed him to enjoy a position as a Federal FF, ask around.. the money's pretty good as a Fed.

Weigh all your options and see what opportunities and duty stations are offered to FFs of all the services. The OJT and equipment is different for all. In the end, just make the best dicision for your interests and your future.

Good luck in your ventures. Watch your back, stay low, stay safe and live to respond another day.