Screwed up - Locked out of PC! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up - Locked out of PC!

Cali-Glock
08-23-2005, 11:20
Help!! Here at work a co-worker got a new pc and I am trying to set up her old pc for another co-worker to replace his "antique" pc. (The user with the most needs get's the newest PC and their old one get's passed down the line...)

The PC I am setting up is a 1.6 P4 running Windows 2000 Pro. I was trying to set up a unique log in for the new user and then rebooted the pc. Now it will not let me log in with the new user name, or any of the old usernames for this pc. I did not change the password, only the username. Now no matter what combinations of usernames (caps/no caps/first letter cap- rest lowercase etc) it will not let me get onto the pc.

Any suggestions or ideas as to how I can get into windows and fix my mess?!

Zoolander
08-23-2005, 11:25
LMAO. ;)

Come back in an hour...

Glock Bob
08-23-2005, 11:36
Logon as administrator if you know the password. Otherwise Knoppix may come in handy. I'm not sure how you could change the password with it, but it may be doable. Otherwise a reinstall may be nessecary, but you'd have to wipe out the HDD. If you have a spare HDD laying around swap it out for the old one. Install Win2kPro on it, set users, then transfer any old files from the original drive (the one you're locked out of) to the new one (ie make the old one a slave drive).

Cali-Glock
08-23-2005, 11:53
Originally posted by Glock Bob
Logon as administrator if you know the password. Otherwise Knoppix may come in handy. I'm not sure how you could change the password with it, but it may be doable. Otherwise a reinstall may be nessecary, but you'd have to wipe out the HDD. If you have a spare HDD laying around swap it out for the old one. Install Win2kPro on it, set users, then transfer any old files from the original drive (the one you're locked out of) to the new one (ie make the old one a slave drive).

Thank you very much!! What the hell - I am setting this up for someone else - I might as well give them a clean slate without the crap which would have otherwise been left behind by the old user - I am re-installing Win2K and applications etc.

Washington,D.C.
08-23-2005, 17:24
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Washington,D.C.
08-23-2005, 17:25
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html