TIVO question: Phone activation required? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TIVO question: Phone activation required?

pesticidal
08-24-2005, 07:32
I was all set to pick up a TIVO last week, actually had it in my hands. Then I saw that a phone line was required for activation. I don't run a lnad-line, just my cell. What are my options?

funbob
08-24-2005, 08:07
I'd like to know this too. I've wanted a tivo for a while now but my lack of a landline has put a stop to that. I have no use for landline telephone service anymore so that's not about to change. Any plans for a non-modem version that I can use with with my internet connection?

Clyde
08-24-2005, 10:06
http://customersupport.tivo.com/userWelcome.asp?path=2&faq_node=Network

Assuming you have Highspeed at your House..

pesticidal
08-24-2005, 11:03
Do I Need a Phone Line for Guided Setup?

02-33-01 Search Reference Number

Note: This article applies only to software version 7.1 or earlier. If you have software version 7.2 on your DVR, your can connect your DVR to your network duirng Guided Setup.hey

Yes. You will need a land-based phone line to run Guided Setup when you initially set up your new DVR. Once you have completed Guided Setup, you will need to download the latest version of software to begin using your broadband connection to connect to the TiVo service or use broadband-enabled features. For information on upgrading your software version, go to How Do I Upgrade My Software Version?

Note: If you plan to use a broadband connection for your DVR and do not have a land-based phone line at your location, you may need to take your DVR to another location to access a phone line. From there, you can use the land-based phone line to run Guided Setup and receive the service update, enabling a broadband connection for future connections to the TiVo service.

ngray
08-24-2005, 11:36
+1 pesticidal

That's exactly what I did when I got mine. Set it up on a friends land-line, as I only have a cell phone. Then hooked it up to the home network from then forward.

On a side note, I'm ditching tivo this week for time-warner's hd-dvr service. Anybody wanna buy a 40-hr tivo?