Camera Recommendation for a Novice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Camera Recommendation for a Novice

Catbird
08-24-2005, 19:01
Although I enjoy taking pics, I don't consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to digital cameras and their features and capabilities.

I do have a 2.1 mp Olympus C-700 Ultra Zoom camera that I bought new 3 or 4 years ago. Basically, it's been a very good camera and I have no real complaints. Even though I suppose it's considered a 'compact', I'd really like to find a camera that is super small (tiny) without sacrificing quality. I am looking for a camera that is truly small enough and light enough to easily carry around in a shirt pocket. Telephoto/zoom is not as important to me as having excellent macro capability. At this point, I don't have a great need to print pics, just store them on my computer for reference, etc.

I'd like to stay with name brands, i.e., Canon, Nikon, Olympus, maybe Sony.

Does anyone know anything about Casio cameras?

Unless absolutely necessary, I'd like to stay in the $300 - $500 price range.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

hwyhobo
08-24-2005, 23:50
Originally posted by Catbird
I'd really like to find a camera that is super small (tiny) without sacrificing quality. I am looking for a camera that is truly small enough and light enough to easily carry around in a shirt pocket. [...] excellent macro capability.
You don't require much, do you? :) There is no free lunch. You can't have the same quality in an ultraportable as in a regular camera. You need to examine reviews of recent ultracompacts on dpreview.com. You can find them here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Each review has a section dealing with your questions, including macro performance. Read them carefully. Each review is long, but well-worth reading.
Does anyone know anything about Casio cameras?
You will find a review of Casio Exilim EX-Z750 on that page as well.

Catbird
08-25-2005, 05:38
After spending a little while browsing thru dpreview, I'm kinda leaning towards the Canon Powershot SD400.

Anyone have experience or comments regarding this camera?

NRA_guy
08-25-2005, 05:50
It's not on your list, but in case anyone else is tempted . . . stay away from FujiFilm.

They offer lots of features for the money, but have some really annoying characteristics.

hwyhobo
08-25-2005, 11:59
I just looked at the samples from the new Canon A620 (compact, not ultracompact). Here is the page:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/psa620/sample-e.html

Click on the first picture of a painting boy and look at the quality. Excellent.

Unfortunately, if you look at the last one which shows a low-light shot, you will see the noise under such conditions is pronounced. I guess that's to be expected from a 7.1 MP 1/1.8 sensor. Too bad.

Catbird
09-03-2005, 08:26
I finally decided on a purchase. I found myself really struggling and going back and forth with my pending choices.

Since I wanted a tiny, easy-to-use camera with nice macro capability, I ended up buying a Nikon Coolpix S1 from Best Buy for ~$349. I hardly ever purchase an extended warranty for anything, however I did spend an additional ~$59 for 4 years. By that time, I should be ready for a new camera, anyway. I read the professional reviews for this particular camera and they weren't great. OTOH, the consumer reviews were excellent. I suppose that time will tell.

General Sherman
09-04-2005, 04:51
A little pricey, but looks nice.

Let us know how your purchase works out.

By the way, I use a Visa gold card and get an additional years warranty beyond the factory warranty if I register my purchase and send them a copy of the sales receipt and factory warranty card.