computer help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : computer help

don51181
08-25-2005, 17:44
I have been having this problem of my computer freezing. I have it set on password protect from the screen saver and once the screen saver is on if I hit a button it will freeze. Recently I put gig of ram in and a new graphics card. Could it be that my ram is bad or cheap? Here are my system specs:

2.8mhz pentium 4
1.26 gig ram
ATI 9550 256mb graphics card
windows xp

AZ-Boog
08-25-2005, 17:53
Did the problem first start after you installed your new hardware??

Remove the new hardware and see if the problem goes away.

If it does install only 1 new piece of hardware and run it for awhile and see if the problem starts happening again.

If alls well, install the 2nd piece of hardware and see what happens.

report back.

good luck.

Washington,D.C.
08-25-2005, 23:18
What graphics card did you have before?You may need to run a graphics driver cleaner program to fully delete the old graphics driver to avoid conflict.

fastvfr
08-26-2005, 20:22
Ummm...why not just disable the screensaver for now?!?

Most folks never use them; the monitor runs up 75% of the cost of the PC's electric bill, so just shutting the CRT off when the PC is not in use is the best solution for saving the screen AND money, IMHO.

This does not count so much with a LCD screen, o/c, but if the only time this happens is after the machine tries to wake itself up, I'd avoid using it as the most obvious workaround until you can troubleshoot this issue properly.

Sgt. Schultz
08-26-2005, 20:30
I agree with fastvfr about the screen saver, if you are worried about prying eyes just lock the computer (Windows key + L) when you walk away from your desk.