trouble w/ Comcast high speed connection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : trouble w/ Comcast high speed connection

InGlockWeTrust
08-26-2005, 01:33
Hey guys.
I been having a problem with my Comcast high speed connection for about 2 weeks now. I had the service for a year and I never had this problem until this month. The connection would disconnect and reconnect on its own and sometimes it would stay disconnected all day long. Last week I called Comcast and they told me they would send someone to my house to see what the problem is. I told them no because it was going to cost me about 50 dollars. ($50 check up + $45 cable tv service + $45 internet service) screw that! Any of you have any idea of what's wrong with it? Just to add: there's nothing wrong with my computer.

If I have any typos or any grammar errors please do not roast me ;) I need some sleep!

Thanks. ;f

Harlequin
08-26-2005, 05:41
Comcast charges for a call to fix their problem???

Toyman
08-26-2005, 06:08
The modem is probably going bad, or there is a problem with the line.
Tell them if it turns out to be their equipment and you get charged, you'll switch to another provider.

bobby_w
08-26-2005, 11:50
I have to agree on the modem being bad. They act like that when they are failing. I have had 2 die.

On Comcast charging you....

Time Warner came out last month when swapping out the Modem did not help with our service. I just had to go down to their storefront and they swapped a new one free. The swappped modem did not fix the problem. A field technician came out hooked up his meter/tester and after looking at the drop from their pole feed he got out a roll of cable, ladder, pole climbers and ran me a new 150' drop, terminated it and sealed the connections.

No charge. Great fast service.

funbob
08-26-2005, 11:59
Comcast has never charged me for a trouble call. I had a similar problem that was driving me crazy for a few weeks. Turned out to be an upstream power level problem. The tap was too far away from the house, the cable was old, and it was split 4 ways at the tap with no drops. It was a wonder I was getting a connection at all! ;f

What brand cable modem do you use? First thing to do is check your power levels and SNR and check the log, that will point you in the direction of where the problem lies.

NetNinja
08-26-2005, 13:22
If it's not a problem with the cabeling in your home they will not charge you.

So if you know the connection to your home is good and the cable from the wall to the modem is good and connectivity directly to your computer is good then you shouldn't have a problem.

make sure the Router is not the problem. (you are running a Firewall/router right?)

If you aren't I dont want to see a post here saying "help someone has just hacked my machine." ;)

TECH24_glock23
08-26-2005, 17:34
Just add their maintence plan to your account for the additional fee then after they fix the problem drop it.

hd67xlch
08-26-2005, 17:54
Same as you the last couple of weeks I have had problems. As we speak I cant get the comcast homepage to load up quickly, though the rest of the net seems to be fine.

I switched from a Motorola Surfboard 3100 modem to a Motorola Surfboard 5120 moden about the same time I started have problems.

I called Comcast last night and they were quick to blame the hurricane down in Miami for there problems. Although I live in FL, Im about 700 miles from Miami, so I dont know if its really related.

I have had Comcast interent for 5 years and have gone 2-3 years without ever having a outage that I noticed anyway. I will give them a few more days to get it right or I will switch to the other cable company in my city.

Good luck with it.

InGlockWeTrust
08-26-2005, 18:11
I am using a Scientific-Atlanta DPC2100 modem. When I'm connected, it works fine and fast like it's supposed to. I tried using the reset button in the back of the modem whenever the connection fails, and it seems to work for about 30 minutes. :steamed: I have to use the reset button every 30 minutes! Well at least it works long enough for me to get help. I talked to an online Comcast tech and he checked my modem or something and told me I had problems with the power levels and then he said nevermind and that he didn't know what was wrong and suggested that I call a tech to come over the house. My wife called Comcast yesterday and canceled our service without asking me first! Now I have to call them back and tell them not to cancel it. I'll probably go switch the modem and see if that's the problem.

Well thanks for your help guys.
You guys were more helpful than Comcast ;g

Washington,D.C.
08-26-2005, 21:27
It may have a problem after it heats up from some use.The other thing you can try is to unplug everything from the modem.The power,the PC or router and the cable.let it sit a wgile and then hook it back up and turn it on.

funbob
08-26-2005, 23:06
Originally posted by InGlockWeTrust
I am using a Scientific-Atlanta DPC2100 modem. When I'm connected, it works fine and fast like it's supposed to. I tried using the reset button in the back of the modem whenever the connection fails, and it seems to work for about 30 minutes. :steamed: I have to use the reset button every 30 minutes! Well at least it works long enough for me to get help. I talked to an online Comcast tech and he checked my modem or something and told me I had problems with the power levels and then he said nevermind and that he didn't know what was wrong and suggested that I call a tech to come over the house. My wife called Comcast yesterday and canceled our service without asking me first! Now I have to call them back and tell them not to cancel it. I'll probably go switch the modem and see if that's the problem.

Well thanks for your help guys.
You guys were more helpful than Comcast ;g

I still think you're having problems with your upstream power levels. http://192.168.100.1 should get you to your modem status pages. Check your upstream power levels, if it's near 50 or higher, you're liable to have problems. While you're at it, check your downstream power and SNR. You want to see power at around -7 to -4, but other values are okay as long as they're not too high or low and SNR should be over 30 though a bit lower won't cause problems. Is your cable modem plugged right into a cable outlet or do you have it going into a splitter? How long is the cable run and what grade cable are you using?