XP Home to XP Pro [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP Home to XP Pro

DeadMansLife
08-26-2005, 17:47
I am planning on upgrading XPH to XPP in the near future.
I have no HP boot disk to prove I own XPH, it's on the hdd as a preload.

Should I buy the full version or the upgrade? If the upgrade, what if I have to reinstall?

EvilGenius
08-26-2005, 18:53
I'm pretty sure that the upgrade requires that you also have the Home disc available, and it will ask for it, so you'll need the full version.

On another note, are you sure you want Pro? Afaik the only differences are remote desktop and the drivers.

fastvfr
08-26-2005, 20:14
Pro is not better for the home user...

XP Pro has better networking, too, but SP2 addresses most of those issues.

BTW, when you install SP2 the Splash Screen no longer says Professional or Home Edition, just Windows XP.

And, with the Upgrade disk you need only have a copy of Win98 in your possession for the installer to check that you have a previous M$ license, then it goes ahead and works just as the Full XP disk would...only for $100 less!

I would not do the 'upgrade', since you'd need to wipe the HDD comletely beforehand to gain anything from doing that anyway...and a total backup of all your user files, then a fresh install of XP Home followed directly by installing SP2, would net the best results.

For free.

GL!

Sgt. Schultz
08-26-2005, 20:25
This may help you decide ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

ForsakenOne
08-26-2005, 22:26
Originally posted by DeadMansLife
I am planning on upgrading XPH to XPP in the near future.
I have no HP boot disk to prove I own XPH, it's on the hdd as a preload.

Should I buy the full version or the upgrade? If the upgrade, what if I have to reinstall?

Install SP2 on your computer and do not worry about upgrading to pro, if you do upgrade the only diffrence you will notice is a smaller bank account.

fastvfr
08-27-2005, 22:35
Originally posted by ForsakenOne
Install SP2 on your computer and do not worry about upgrading to pro, if you do upgrade the only diffrence you will notice is a smaller bank account.

Exactly. Unless you need the supervisory powers of Pro, save the cash.

DeadMansLife
08-29-2005, 16:13
The only real reason I want to upgrade is for a bit more control of the OS. It seems I don't have the control on this pc that I have on the Pro machine I maintain.

Does XPHome come with snap-ins like XPPro?