data recovery [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : data recovery

08-26-2005, 20:44
So i get a call last night from a girl who always has computer trouble. I go over there today and sure enough her computer wont boot. She has no cds, or they are in a box from the move. I take the PC home and HDD is corrupt. I am running Recover my files evaluation edition.

She only really needs her My docs folder and he OE e mails. I can see its going to take hours upon hours for this program to do everything its doing. All i really need is two folders recovered. Is it possible to get a program that will ask me to recover just a folder name ? I can type in my documents and it will revoer all files in the My Docs folder ?

I really dont want to have my PC running for a day just trying to get her docs back. I have never needed to use data revcovery before, whats my best option to recover old emails and the my docs folder?

Where is the default storage location for OE inbox, i use Mozilla so i am not sure what folder to recover to get the e mails back.

Andy

Washington,D.C.
08-26-2005, 21:21
You can use any Windows CD of the same OS for a repair install.It doesn't have to be "hers".

Sgt. Schultz
08-26-2005, 21:36
You didnít mention the OS she is running ... In XP the OE e-mails are located in "User name\ Application Data\Identities". If you are able to recover the folders OE has an import feature to restore/recover them. Be sure to get the address book ... "User Name\ Application Data\Microsoft\ Address Book" file extension is WAB.

Have you tried to "slave" the drive into your computer and access the drive?

08-26-2005, 22:18
Its XP Home SP2.

The HDD is corrupt, i can asscess some of it but i really dont want to screw up my brand new system i just built. I disconnected her HDD from my computer, i was unable get the my docs folder and really dont think she has anything in there but her resume. Its not worth the effort to recover the data.

She has a Lap top, this puter is trash. I offerd to build her one a few yrs ago and she bought a HP that must have cost $350. Its a HP pav 7935, its not worth saving anyway.

It also took me 3 cans of air to blow out all the dust, it was as think as carpet. I figured i would give her one of my extra HDD, i couldnt even get windows to load with a my HDD in her puter. I think she burned it up and her X tried to fix it and did major damage. He is notoriuos for breaking every computer he uses.

thx for the tips but im telling her its a total loss. I for one dont need to spend hours or days reccovering picks of her dog, e mails and her outdated resume.

Andy

My toothbrush is faster than this PC, its not worth it.

fastvfr
08-27-2005, 19:17
Since she has a laptop and doesn't want to lose data, it's a leadpipe cinch that she needs an external USB2 hard drive enclosure.

And guess what?! An added benefit of her buying that $30 enclosure is, for some odd reason, FUBARed hard drives can sometimes be accessed more easily when connected via USB or Firewire than when on an IDE controller.

So that's where I'd start; get a $40 40GB HDD and a $30 box to put it it and then connect the old HDD to the laptop in an attempt to access the data there.

Then teach her how to do regular backups.

08-27-2005, 22:27
Fast

I can buy it all for her, set it up and show her how to use it but she wont do it. She will of course pay me back for any hard ware but its still pointless.

My puppy has a better chance of backing up old scooby doo reruns than her backing up her data.

that is a great idea though, i will at least let her know about her options. She has a 512 mb USB pen drive and that lap top and still she didnt back up her data. The easy way would be for her to at least burn to CD or use her pen drive.

Andy

i suspect she has a thing for me, why else would she call every few months with computer problems.

fastvfr
08-27-2005, 22:37
Originally posted by USCG1988
Fast

I can buy it all for her, set it up and show her how to use it but she wont do it. She will of course pay me back for any hard ware but its still pointless.

My puppy has a better chance of backing up old scooby doo reruns than her backing up her data.

LMAO!!!

HerrGlock
08-28-2005, 10:35
script it, make it run every day at the same time. Talk her into leaving the computer on overnight and make it backup her whole home directory to an external drive. Then she doesn't have to do anything.

DanH