xcopy & defrag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : xcopy & defrag

fatlander
08-27-2005, 12:55
Hey guys,
I want to speed up my WinXpSp2 OS, I've heard that besides defraging the os drive, its also possible (better?) to copy all its content to another drive, format and copy back using the XCOPY command. Supposedly the XCOPY copies all the data in some particularm more efficient, manner. It raises a couple of questions.
1) Is it possible to perform this operation using Linux as a seccond OS (sitting on another HD)?, does linux has an equvalent of XCOPY?
2) Can stuff go wrong? (a stupid question, I know) I mean, can I loose some hidden OS files during the whole operation? (like MBR stuff, or the boot files or something)
3) Is it at all practical?

David_G17
08-27-2005, 14:24
Originally posted by fatlander
Hey guys,
I want to speed up my WinXpSp2 OS, I've heard that besides defraging the os drive, its also possible (better?) to copy all its content to another drive, format and copy back using the XCOPY command. Supposedly the XCOPY copies all the data in some particularm more efficient, manner.

just out of curiosity, where did you hear that???

fatlander
08-27-2005, 14:28
its a common practice on HDD mp3 players to shorten boot time, i suppose it should work on a regular pc, plus i found some articles about that on google, prob is they were dated 1998 and earlier, so i dont know whether to trust them

Washington,D.C.
08-27-2005, 16:39
I remember something about that for Windows 98.Windows XP is different.I don't know what file system mp3 players use.

it's safest to get another hard drive to try it as you can lose a lot of data.I doubt it will help anything in Windows XP.

Equivalent Linux BASH commands:

cp - Copy one or more files to another location
install - Copy files and set attributes

Changes in XCOPY from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=240268

In many cases the functionality of XCOPY is superseded by ROBOCOPY.

To force the overwriting of destination files under both NT4 and Windows2000 use the COPYCMD environment variable:
SET COPYCMD=/Y
This will turn off the prompt in Win2000 and will be ignored by NT4 (which overwrites by default).

When comparing Dates/Times the granularity (the finest increment of the timestamp) is 2 seconds for a FAT volume and 0.1 microsecond for an NTFS volume.

The WinXP version of XCOPY will accept wildcards for the source e.g. *.txt
It is also more forgiving with trailing backslashes.

I like XXCOPY but have only used it with Windows 98.These is a version that works with XP.

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

metallic
09-11-2005, 19:32
That shouldn't improve performance at all. Your best bet is to add more RAM to the system. I really recommend no less than 512mb if you are running Windows XP.