Alphabetizing using XP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alphabetizing using XP

Generalcarry
08-28-2005, 09:35
I have one problem (amidst many) that has been taking up way too much time, for way too many years. Iím using XP and in Microsoft Word I made my own frequently called numbers phone book. Making two columns of numbers was a challenge I kind of worked around, but Iíve been trying to alphabetize those names and numbers for months. I seem to remember an ABC logo but I donít think it was is XP.
Any help would be appreciated.

Clyde
08-28-2005, 18:40
Cut and Past to Microsoft Excel sort

Cut and Past back to word

Generalcarry
08-29-2005, 05:04
That figures, a couple years ago Norton caused so many problems I had to reformate my hard drive. Since I have NEVER used Microsoft Excel, I never bothered to install it. There has got to be a way to do it in Word, isn't there?

nickg
08-29-2005, 12:54
try this and see if it works.

take your list

go to "table"

go to "sort"

in the "sort text" box you'll see "sort by"

then click on the appropriate box entries

then click on either "ascending" or "descending"

should work hopefully

Generalcarry
08-29-2005, 13:28
NickG,
I'm getting close. It's sorting the phone numbers from < or > but not the names. The names are all over the page. I am SO BAD at using word, I can only guess that somewhere along the line, when I was trying to make 2 columns, I messed up. I was using arrows, enter, and the space bar and whatever to make a "clean looking" facade.
You got me close, lets see if I can sort this out. I'll let you know.
Thanks...

SavageDragon
08-29-2005, 14:16
Open a new Word Doc, go to Table, insert, table. Make it one column nand however many rows you need. Copy your entire list in the old Doc, then highlight the table on the new Doc, and right click and paste. Then go to table sort, sort column one by text.

Make sure the names and numbers are in the same column.

nickg
08-30-2005, 09:51
if you are sorting phone numbers try this:

highlight your phone list

go to table

sort

sort text

Sort by: "Field 1"

Type: "Number"

ascending/descending