NOOB questions on PDA/web [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NOOB questions on PDA/web

Mwinter
08-28-2005, 10:41
I'm a total knuckledragger about most things technical, especially if they do not operate via trigger or are not attached to an item with a trigger.

I've seen some PDA-type items that are phones, cameras, etc....the whole thing seems completely Dick-Tracy to me. Here's my general question:

Is there a PDA-type-thingy where I can truly browse the web (actually see pictures, post on forums, etc., send email), with a full keyboard/keypad, via cell?

I could care less about the camera/phone/organizer/video capabilities--that's nice but not necessary for me. However if I could find a sub-laptop sized thingy with a screen and keyboard useful enough for email, IMs, forum posts and graphics/pics, I'd be tempted to buy it.

So far my limited research has turned up only AOL-geared stuff, and I will not use AOL/AIM etc.

Thanks for any recommendations GTetrs, and speak sllllowly :).

I have a laptop and have looked into cell-based modems, etc....but if I can 'go small' I'd use it more.

Mwinter
08-28-2005, 14:15
no replies.....fudge

funbob
08-28-2005, 19:02
I recommend you look at the PDA based phones through Verizon Wireless. Their 3G network is the most advanced in this country right now, offering almost broadband speeds if you live in an EVDO coverage area. The plans are kind of pricey, but price cuts are planned in the near future.

GlockBY
08-29-2005, 10:50
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/generic_subcategory.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=handhelds&category=handhelds&subcat1=ipaq_phone&catLevel=2

You can find better price if you look around.
If you are going to buy from them - do not connect it through hpconnect. Go to your local Cingular dealer.
Good luck!

edited to add: this device has on screen keyboard, snap-on tiny keyboard, transcriber - you can write with stylus on the screen and it can recognize words or phrases. It is run on Windows Mobile OS and has built in IE browser - no problems viewing any page so far. Might have some issues with advanced animations, but for basic web browsing very handy, it also has Media player -you can use it to play mp3 or watch movie trailers. Also has bluetooth, WiFi(definitely useful) or you can connect through your cell company GPRS.