How can I change the Hard Drive designations? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How can I change the Hard Drive designations?


ERASER
08-28-2005, 12:22
I just replaced my primary hard drive. I partitioned the 100 gigs in half. Upon completing installation of the OS, I find that the computer has designated the first partition as the "C" drive but the second partition is "E" with the separate hard drive as "D". Is there an easy, painless way of making the second partition the "D" drive and the separate hard drive the "E" drive?
Thanks, in advance, for the help and advice.

cgwahl
08-28-2005, 14:05
Right click My Computer then Manage.

Under Storage, click on Disk Management.

Right click on what is the D: Drive and select change drive letter. Change it to something above E.

Then do the same for E: Drive, but change it to D:. Then change the second drive to E:.

Done.


EDIT: Or you can take the second HD off and start over then put the second HD back on and let it get assigned to E:.

Jack T.
08-28-2005, 14:22
Just change the mount point in /etc/fstab.

Oh, you mean on a windows box ;e

Molz
08-28-2005, 14:33
Originally posted by Jack T.
Just change the mount point in /etc/fstab.

Oh, you mean on a windows box ;e
He said he has a "computer", not a "womanless nerd machine". ;)

HerrGlock
08-28-2005, 18:31
Originally posted by Molz
He said he has a "computer", not a "womanless nerd machine". ;)

But drive letters are the only way one could tell he actually meant, "Toy OS"

;e

DanH

Molz
08-29-2005, 09:55
Originally posted by HerrGlock
But drive letters are the only way one could tell he actually meant, "Toy OS"

;e

DanH And here I was under the impression he wanted to do something other than file and print serving...
;N

David_G17
08-29-2005, 10:33
Originally posted by Molz
And here I was under the impression he wanted to do something other than file and print serving...
;N

like what? play solitaire?

Molz
08-29-2005, 15:14
Originally posted by David_G17
like what? play solitaire? Yes, it's nice to have the option if you'd like. Now, not to irritate the cult too much more or anything, but I believe Linux has a place. That place isn't on desktop machines. Yet. Don't worry, though. MS and the other big boys will get "trusted computing", DRM, etc. going and you'll see Linux explode onto the desktop.

David_G17
08-29-2005, 15:30
Originally posted by Molz
Yes, it's nice to have the option if you'd like.

http://www.winehq.com/

here ya go.

Molz
08-29-2005, 18:21
Originally posted by David_G17
http://www.winehq.com/

here ya go. You ever play a fps on Wine? Last time I tried was about a year ago and as much as I enjoyed the slide show, I thought I'd just wait until there was better support for high end gaming. Although I'm sure Wine would work great for solitaire, thanks. ;f

Although I've been thinking about giving it a shot again, just to see where things are at.

HerrGlock
08-29-2005, 18:36
Originally posted by Molz
Don't worry, though. MS and the other big boys will get "trusted computing"

Oh DEAR! No thanks. MS had a B2 OS, NT3.5 I believe, but it was ONLY on XXX hardware with XXX monitor, NO modem, NO network card, and NO other connection.

I'll stick with Solaris.

Why must people assume if you don't particularly like MS you must be a Linux person? They're all good, Solaris, HP-UX, TRU-64, AIX, OS-400, Linux, *BSD, SCO, whatever ;f

DanH

David_G17
08-30-2005, 14:32
Originally posted by Molz
You ever play a fps on Wine?

nah, i use computers to do work (hence why i can't rely on microsoft).

;)

if you want to play games, there are systems out there built for it - PS2, x-box, whatever nintendo makes nowadays, etc.

Molz
08-30-2005, 20:01
Originally posted by David_G17
nah, i use computers to do work (hence why i can't rely on microsoft).

;)

if you want to play games, there are systems out there built for it - PS2, x-box, whatever nintendo makes nowadays, etc. You zealots are just so gosh darn cute.

MikeG22
09-02-2005, 02:36
Originally posted by Molz
He said he has a "computer", not a "womanless nerd machine". ;)

LOL!