problem with computer shutting off [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : problem with computer shutting off

darin2
08-29-2005, 13:02
I have a friend who has an older computer, around 4 yrs old. It has recently started cutting off on her several times a day. She reboots and it works okay for a short while. I don't believe it's a virus because that is all up to date and has been scanned. I took the tower apart and cleaned it for her...it was very dusty and dirty on the inside. I was thinking maybe it was a hardware issue with something heating up and shutting down the system. After cleaning it, she still has the same problem. Any suggestions on how to approach this is appreciated. Thanks.

Darin

darin2@alltel.net

SavageDragon
08-29-2005, 15:07
Sounds like RAM to me. Are there any error messages or have you checked the log files? I am working on a laptop at work that is having this issue. It started last week. I ran a system diagnostic and got an coded error. Since it's still under warranty i called Dell. It isn't fixed yet but i'll let you know what they say.

aspartz
08-29-2005, 15:19
Are all of the fan working? It may take a while for the PS to overheat and shutdown.

ARS

SavageDragon
09-01-2005, 11:44
Dell suggested updating the BIOS and the diagnostic code i got was from the NIC driver which i updated. No problems since.

David_G17
09-01-2005, 12:53
Originally posted by SavageDragon
Dell suggested updating the BIOS and the diagnostic code i got was from the NIC driver which i updated. No problems since.

weird.