Wireless card causing my Notebook hardrive to run contantly. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless card causing my Notebook hardrive to run contantly.

alterego
08-29-2005, 18:49
Hey,

I have an IBM Thinkpad T21 I bought used off of ebay about a month ago. It runs great but when I put my ViewSonic wireless card in for my home network, it makes the hard drive run almost constantly. THis cuts my battery life almost in half.

When I take the card out, the hard drive doesn't run constantly and my battery lasts MUCH longer so I'm fairly certain the card is the problem.

I'm running Windows XP. The card is a ViewSonic 802.11G pcmcia card. I went to settings>control panel>system>hardware>devicemanager>network adapters and selected the wireless card. Under the "advanced" tab, I found a "power save mode" which I enabled. This didn't make a difference.

Anybody have any ideas?

Washington,D.C.
08-29-2005, 19:15
Are you using XP Pro or XP Home?The networking is the biggest difference in the two.

Washington,D.C.
08-29-2005, 19:17
While there are notebooks sold with XP Home and there are sometimes different networks drivers for them,Microsoft recommends XP Pro for notebooks.

alterego
08-29-2005, 21:04
I'm running Windows XP professional.